U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 PM

706 posts, read 912,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I have no problem with what anyone wears. I posted that early in this discussion.

However, I do think it's improper to wear "short shorts" and "revealing sweaters" when accompanying one's young children to school. And I really dont understand bragging that one doesnt care what one's kids think, that one "would not change how I dress even for my children".
Maybe you let your kids dictate to you what you can and can't wear, but I don't run my household like that.
I'm the adult,they are the children. I tell them what they can and can't wear....not the other way around. My daughter is 12 and my son is 8 and I've been a SAHM for 8 years....taking them to school, extra curricular activities, hanging with them at the mall, etc. and not once has how I choose to dress ever been a source of embarrassment for them.

Again, I don't wear clothes that have my privates exposed. But I work hard to keep a nice physique and yes I like to wear clothes that show it off. Big deal....

Old 10-20-2013, 09:33 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,514,285 times
I surmise there is an inverse relationship to the level of judgment - in general - between the context and clothing which anyone wears. In many public venues of everyday life, I think fewer people judge on clothing the closer they are within a 'normal deviation range' and judge more by the choice to draw attention by being an 'outlier'.

So, an attention getting outfit at a summer festival will likely derive less 'judgment' than say an attention seeking outfit in a corporate luncheon venue. Or say, the choice for formal concert and the summer pool party; or dinner at nice sit down restaurant and dining in at McDonalds or Golden Corral.

There always will be that segment of small minded which a previous poster mentioned which judge everyone on clothing and visual appearances no matter the occasion - these I'd classify as busybodies with no life of their own.

As someone who rides public transportation I will observe people's shoes quite frequently simply to seek correlations I may speculate on. Still recall the scene from a movie (legal movie about picking the jury members in screening process; Devil's Advocate / Runaway Jury?) and the comment about judging character traits on shoes.

While I may judge slightly on what clothes someone wears depending on the venue and the appropriateness, I will more often judge someone on the words they use when engaged in conversation should the opportunity arise or what they can clearly be heard saying in public. [recall those ads for verbal advantage audio series ]

I had an interesting thought process this weekend when shopping at local grocery store. I'm in twelve items or less aisle. I have a young 20s female behind me. Very attractive (IMO), relaxed clothing, jeans - well fit, pullover and sweatshirt, nice facial features, little to no makeup, some freckles, strong pleasant facial features (actually would be very beautiful in a dress up type occasion / venue probably 5'6 130 nice feminine displacement/ distribution). I felt sort of sad in that she had chosen to willingly deface herself by wearing piercings in her lips and eyebrows (all manner of health reasons not to do so due to susceptibility to bacteria and potential disease etc...).

My 'judgment thought' went toward: young and unwise attention seeker, or hip / fad follower, or subculture statement. Did I hold her less regard? No, because youthful people make all manner of choices as part of growing up and finding their place - so to speak. Still, the visual choice she made, likely (and knowingly) gave others an immediate judgment of her depending on the context / venue. Perhaps she only wears the piercings for certain occasions and happened to stop in the store for something inadvertently, I don't know don't care it just saddens me when someone that young defaces themselves in the quest to be faddish / hip / gain attention / feel like they belong to some group that accepts them, etc...

Old 10-20-2013, 09:56 PM

312 posts, read 499,112 times
Really as long as you look clean and decent I don't have any problem.
I love fashion and clothes, so I can appreciate it when someone makes an effort to look presentable. Not that they should care what I think lol, but I'm one those people who like to give compliments when I see someone wearing a nice outfit.

Having said that, I used to work in banking and I was sometimes amazed (and shocked) at what my customers would wear-especially when you know how much money they have in their account!-
When you have half a million in your account and I see you wearing dirty old clothes, it does tell me something about you.

If you don't make the effort to look presentable in front of people, then don't be surprised when you get weird looks. I think if you look frumpy and don't take care of physique, people will judge -not that they do it on purpose, really I think it's human nature- whether you want it or not.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 7,369,618 times
Different towns, different cities (often in close proximity), different parts of the country, different social groups, different financial levels, etc., etc., will have different standards of what is acceptable and what is not.

I spent all my life in the business world and I am in my 80s now. I learned a long time ago, that the wealthier the customer is, they are the least likely they are to show it when they are out and about. I watched salespeople ignore potential customers because they did not look like they had money, and some of my biggest sales ever were to those people. I remember Charles Stewart Mott from Michigan. You would see him around town in his 80s, when he looked like any old geezer with no money in his pocket. But this man is the one that sold Buick to GM and was at one time the biggest stock holder in GM and sat on their board.

They needed to put a bridge between lower and upper Michigan. The state was in such bad shape, they could not sell the bonds. At a big meeting of what to do, Mott stood up in the back of the room and said I will buy half of them, and personally guarantee the other half. They were sold out in minutes. The state could not raise money, but Mott could have bought several big bridges like this. They needed a college in Grand Rapids. He gave them the money for it.

Too many people judge a man/woman by what they wear, but they are wrong to do so. They are often wrong.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,339,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Different towns, different cities (often in close proximity), different parts of the country, different social groups, different financial levels, etc., etc., will have different standards of what is acceptable and what is not.

I spent all my life in the business world and I am in my 80s now. I learned a long time ago, that the wealthier the customer is, they are the least likely they are to show it when they are out and about. I watched salespeople ignore potential customers because they did not look like they had money, and some of my biggest sales ever were to those people. I remember Charles Stewart Mott from Michigan. You would see him around town in his 80s, when he looked like any old geezer with no money in his pocket. But this man is the one that sold Buick to GM and was at one time the biggest stock holder in GM and sat on their board.

They needed to put a bridge between lower and upper Michigan. The state was in such bad shape, they could not sell the bonds. At a big meeting of what to do, Mott stood up in the back of the room and said I will buy half of them, and personally guarantee the other half. They were sold out in minutes. The state could not raise money, but Mott could have bought several big bridges like this. They needed a college in Grand Rapids. He gave them the money for it.

Too many people judge a man/woman by what they wear, but they are wrong to do so. They are often wrong.
They probably don't want to draw attention to themselves and their wealth, for obvious reasons...

Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 AM

324 posts, read 492,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

She wont get it or ever will. Besides she lives in the ex burbs out on the boonies where it's much cheaper to live. No business professionals out there. Standards are much lower.

Last edited by Freelee; 10-21-2013 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,230,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
She wont get it or ever will. Besides she lives in the ex burbs out on the boonies where it's much cheaper to live. No business professionals out there. Standards are much lower.
90% sure you are jealous or insecure of yourself. It's just clothes, relax.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
There are many threads here saying 'is it okay for ____ to wear ____' or saying that certain clothes are inappropriate for a certain age/gender/body type, or they send out the wrong message.

Honestly, I just want to express my total disdain for that sort of fashion policing. Not that I go around wearing dresses, but honestly, especially little things like how short your shorts are or what colour your shirt is, if you think it looks good to hell with everyone else and their judgements!

How often do you find people judge others by how they look? Is it something you and your peer group talk about much? Do you make judgements on people based on what they dress? He she's a poser, or a ****, or he's having a midlife crisis? It's natural to judge but do some people honestly have nothing better to do than judge something so superficial?

I'm a chick and I will honestly say that I judge if someone wears clothes that are way too tight, shows their boobs to the nipple, camel toes and butt cheeks hanging out. That inlcudes men. It's just trashy.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
my kids have told me that they are proud that I don't look like some of the other moms.
I call BS. No kid says that unless they are prompted.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
they look great on a nice butt
I think this is the most telling quote of all.

Women who dress so that other people will look at their body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty