U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,437,690 times
Reputation: 4238

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I was thinking about using wooden tongue depressors or maybe popsicle sticks to dip in the old I use in the bathroom. I wish I could come up with another non-disposable idea that was sanitary, didn't cost money and didn't need to be thrown out.

I used to just use a clean spoon and get it out of the kitchen with no issues. I just noticed that the small jar I switched to for the bath is going bad since I used my hands to cross-contaminate it.

Wal Mart sells a lot of nice little glass, sealed jars in their kitchen dept, if you need a container to transfer smaller portions into. Many have rubber sealing lids.
I stick my fingers in it all the time, I don't believe that is your problem. Get a better brand, like Nutiva organic from Amazon. Don't use the microwave, it zaps nutrients and defeats the purpose of using this superior product.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM
 
Location: SC
2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times
Reputation: 6809
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I stick my fingers in it all the time, I don't believe that is your problem. Get a better brand, like Nutiva organic from Amazon. Don't use the microwave, it zaps nutrients and defeats the purpose of using this superior product.
I did notice my good organic Nutiva from the health food store has lasted forever.

Its the organic Spectrum brand in the small glass jar, from Wal Mart that is going bad on me.

I agree it is possibly a quality issue. I would never cook it in the microwave; I agree it ruins it's innate healthy properties.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,437,690 times
Reputation: 4238
Aha! This is good to know.

Occasionally I get a question about coconut oil and mold. If coconut oil comes in contact with water or moisture at all - even the slightest bit it will get mold in it. If you're transferring to any other small or large jars I would only transfer to one or two small jars. If the jars have any moisture left in them or are damp at all you may get a mold problem. Even the slightest amount of moisture will cause it to become moldy. One has to be very careful in transferring coconut oil. I only remove a little oil to a jar or two.

Coconut Oil Cure - Coconut Oil And Mold
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,437,690 times
Reputation: 4238
The more I think about this, the less inclined I am to buy this explanation, even tho I posted it. She says you may get a mold problem, then in the next sentence says you will. I find it impossible to believe I have not stuck moist hands into my oil during the years I have been using it.
If it were me, I'd just stick with the Nutiva. There are people that buy large quantities of it for soap making and such.
I am confident that this problem you are having is rare.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 AM
 
1,696 posts, read 1,406,158 times
Reputation: 1445
I was wandering around my local Michael's one day and in the paint department came across a bunch of palette knives made of white plastic. They sell them in sets, of different shapes. I nabbed a bag of them and use them to scoop out lotions and such in the bathroom. That way, my fingers never touch the rest of it and the knives are easy to clean. Make-up stores charge quite a bit for little spoons and such while my palette knives were cheap as cheese.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 PM
 
4,236 posts, read 3,028,074 times
Reputation: 6947
The mold may have formed from keeping the jar in the bathroom. Moisture from the air may have seeped into it when I opened the jar immediately after my shower.

I'm going to keep a big jar of it in the kitchen, and make periodic transfers into a small jar that I will keep in my bedroom.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM
 
14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
Reputation: 17206
I have a big jar in the kitchen, I just transfer a smallish amount into a small container that I keep in the bathroom. So far I have NEVER gotten mold, despite the fact I live in Florida and the oil stays liquid at least half the year. I dip my fingers right in and sometimes they are still moist!

I used to buy Nutiva (great brand) but now buy Swanson's, it's cheaper, and exactly the same (organic). Love that stuff, I eat it every day!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top