U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 04:52 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,823,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Ok. Whats with the beards? Seems almost every guy in this area is trying to grow a beard now. I hate beards. Unless a person is a burly lumberjack type, or, a military type who was spec ops or something, then a beard just looks dirty and lazy.

Im sure there is some music or pop culture thing driving this trend, like most trends.

But seeing a man with a little beer gut, but with scrawny arms and no muscles, trying to sport a beard- just looks silly. If you work behind a desk, you dont need a beard. It looks silly. If you are working 14 hours a day chopping down trees, or weeks at sea on a shrimp boat, or are deployed with the military in a war zone- sure, beards are very understandable.

Otherwise it looks dirty, lazy, and an obvious attempt to try to look trendy and cool. Shave it. Just my two cents.
I wear a beard because I like it and my wife likes it.

Why you think what you think of my beard matters is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 09:12 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,184,647 times
In would love to grow one but it comes in grey. In general, I think dark facial hair looks best. If my hair were still dark brown, I would definitely try out a neat and trim beard. But grey beards look awful, IMO.

I used to shave every day, but now I shave 3-4 times per week. I like some light stubble before,it gets into the awkward scruff phase, when the grey color becomes too obvious.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:35 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman1 View Post
I live in San Diego County. I see beards on 99% of the men and maybe some women. Young men, old men, professional men and doctors, ball players that look like cavemen, men working with food preparedness. I have yet to see a neatly trimmed and well kept beard. All I see is slobs in nice restaurants wearing faded t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. Do these guys own or even look in a mirror. A recent poll of women showed that 95% don't like beards. Are all these guys gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
LOL

Old 07-31-2016, 09:54 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
It is fine to have a preference, but the way some people react is as if beards were somehow unnatural.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:35 PM

552 posts, read 408,135 times
people! winter is coming, so beards are on...

Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
I have had a beard since the 1970s, and my wife (of 42 years) likes it, so I don't care if 95% of women don't. I used to trim and shave around it daily, but now with the popularity of stubble, I will go 2-3 days without using a razor.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:30 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,795,692 times
It's the 1890s all over again. I'm glad I'm not single/dating.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_HGqPGp9iY

Old 08-01-2016, 08:29 AM

11,395 posts, read 15,991,510 times
I am a 28 year old woman who can't remember the last time I was attracted to a man without a beard. To each their own - I'll be over here admiring this trend.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 PM

25,340 posts, read 24,141,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is fine to have a preference, but the way some people react is as if beards were somehow unnatural.
Well, let's be fair, many people think of female pubic, underarm and leg hair as unnatural and of any stray hairs whatsoever on the female face as unnatural, even the slightest blondest peach fuzz. In fact, if you didn't just inwardly squick at the thought of at least two of these, you get ten extra points.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,814,585 times
Interesting this started in 2013, and here we are answering. The scruffy trend has survived. I wondered if it would.

Trends come and go. I cringe at my Mullet haircut from 1990-91. That was just the style, but now I'd call the then-me a douche. Everyone has to be 21 once, though, and I was a "pretty cool" guy back then. I think we all secretly wanted to look like David Duchovny, because he got all the kinky alien chicks.

So today in my late 40s, I wear a halfway blonde beard (hence my C-D nom de voyage) most of the time. I grow it out a week, then trim it back on Mondays and repeat. Lately I'm coming up on two weeks between trims, it's feeling a bit "full". That being not completely full and bushy, that's just scummy to me and endemically dorky among fat bespeckled IT geeks. But a week or two of no shaving gives me a definitely light blonde-red scruff, more the former than latter.

In the winter, yes: it serves a purpose and protects my skin, which "presumably" is the evolutionary reason they grow to begin with. Only makes sense. When the air is dry, somehow they conserve moisture, seems like.

I dunno, I think the scruff looks good on me. The ex GF did, too, the primary reason I started the trend year or two ago. I tend to be swayed by women's opinions about what looks good on me, out of vanity, I must admit. Women I like, that is: one woman says one thing, another something else, meh. But get enough opinions that (this) or (that) looks good on you, a man should probably listen.

For decades I'd have never had the scruffy look, definitely subscribing to the old British Army and/or USMC motto about clean-shaven being a sign of respect to myself, others, and the institutions we serve.

Times change, though. I now own sneakers, after thinking they were the stupidest thing I'd ever seen just a couple years ago. But hey, why not, if it looks good these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty