U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,075,153 times

Advertisements

I don't know why but for the past couple of years, I've been drawn to socks. It's like I've just discovered what a great inexpensive if not down right cheap gift they can be, and how much you can show your personality with them, and how personal they can be (the type a person likes (crew knee-high, tennis, re-enforced toe/heel, slouch), the material (wool, nylon, cotton,etc), handmade/knitted, mass store multi-pack)....NOT TO MENTION casual or dressed -- colors, patterns, striped, separate toe, mis-match, monogramed. I've always known that about ties....but only men wear ties and they cost more-- EVERYONE (almost) wears socks.

Now I have to fine the best socks -- either 100% cashmere or a blend -- for the best price I can.
Any votes for 100% vs. a blend...or what the perfect blend might be. How much cashmere to be really good, and how much wool, angora or other fiber so they don't war to quickly.

I know it depends on how the person wears them, bit how long will cashmere last? I don't want to get something that within a year will have holes.

Maybe I'm just hard on socks. One poster said he/she had socks for years with no holes. I'm not talk in about cashmere now, but in general I wear the same pair over and over and walk in them bare foot too. Mine always eventually get holes in the heels, especially the driving foot. There's NO pair of sock I've had for a YEAR with no holes (I don't think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM

6,406 posts, read 6,542,042 times
There are some basics as far as care of socks. Like, keep your toenails clipped and take care of any sharp/jagged nails ASAP. File down rough calluses. Don't jam your feet into your socks; they should not be pulled tight on your toes. "Good" socks like cashmere should not be worn in shoes that have worn-through linings.

My DH does all the wrong things with his socks, and so I have to buy a much better quality of sock so that they last. He does NOT get cashmere, though I do handknit socks for him from wool or cotton. I had a pair of socks from about the age of 14 til I was over 30. I finally got tired of looking at them.

As to fibers and wearability, either of the wool blend cashmere socks you noted in the OP will wear much better than cashmere alone. I'd pick the ones that feel softest, personally, especially since they are for gifts.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,075,153 times
Thanks, emerald, I was thinking of buying them online, so not getting to feel them.
But I suppose I could be on the lookout for them if I get to any stores in the next month or so.
They're definitely a contender this year.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,950,364 times
Check out Sierra Trading Post and eBay, they may have better prices. Sierra has a bunch of choices for around $10 a pair .

I got some awesome angora socks on eBay one year! And right now I am wearing a silk cashmere blend .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty