Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:35 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I read this essay this morning and thought it was interesting: Will Women Ever Have the Freedom to Be Ugly?

And this is fitting for a forum such as this:
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 03:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I read this essay this morning and thought it was interesting: Will Women Ever Have the Freedom to Be Ugly?

And this is fitting for a forum such as this:
My prediction is that within about 10 responses to the OP, someone will shift the blame to women, saying it is really their own fault, blah, blah, blah...

Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
My prediction is that within about 10 responses to the OP, someone will shift the blame to women, saying it is really their own fault, blah, blah, blah...
Yeah, that was dead on...post #4, good call!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Oh please, that's a fine piece of blog that conveniently ignores that women brought this upon themselves and compete with one another from make up to fashion accessories.

And also play the victim card now
Women who work on themselves relentlessly probably do not complain and "play the victim card." They are playing the game as it has presented itself to them, and most of the rules were made by men.

Women who don't work on themselves, are almost always considered ugly or unkempt by everyone, including other women.

Men dominate in advertising, film, TV, and publishing and clothing design. Their views about beauty and desirablility infiltrate or condition every woman and man in our culture. Even women in their views about the desirability of men, are conditioned by the domination of other men. Women haven't brought anything much on themselves. We are conditioned by every single thing in our lives to view ourselves desirable/not desirable to men.

Men are not much better off though. They seem to be conditioned to be archetypically "male" as our culture, dominated by other men, defines it. Of course these things ebb and flow. And there are unorthodox males and females, who often pay a heavy price for their individuality. The fact that women have demanded equality, and the fact that gays have also done the same, does not change the basic way everything works.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,709 times
This pressure is from other women not men.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Except that it took a little longer for the white knight to show up

Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 AM

420 posts, read 697,986 times
When women reject wearing makeup they will liberate themselves and upgrade society.

Last edited by ROAM; 10-27-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
This pressure is from other women not men.
Actually the pressure is multi faceted. It starts with the fashion industry, run by mainly gay men, who don't make any other size than 2. This then translates itself to Hollywood and the media who reinforce that stereotype that women have to be thin to be beautiful. Maybe some women pressure others but in general I don't think other women are the catalyst for the notion you have to be thin to be attractive.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
In my own life,its been both men and women who criticized my appearance.
I think women more open about it though. Men just mostly ignored me.

Men are no more guilty than women when it comes to criticism.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 AM

420 posts, read 697,986 times
Like I said, when women stop putting on war paint, or as you call it.. makeup.. on your faces to camouflage yourselves into the society that's feeding on everyone's psyche all while hiding you from yourselves. Society can take the next step.

Last edited by ROAM; 10-28-2013 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty