Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Why I've exercised my right to be ugly for years!

Now I'm just an ugly old hag----what's it to ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I believe that women will have equal freedom as men to be ugly when men have equal pressure as women to be attractive. Ladies, do your part - actively pressure men to look better, with all of the pain, time, energy, and expense that this might entail. Time to flip the script. As a culture we are definitely moving in the direction of giving males a taste of their own medicine. For a while it will be a dark and discordant time with much backlash from men, but this will balance out and resolve after a couple generations at which point we'll be closer to equality than ever before.
As a man, I take up the challenge . I always budget 10 minutes every morning for neatly combing my hair with coconut oil, applying cologne, and choosing nice looking shirts (or) T shirts, pants (shorts for casual wear if its above 85 F), belts, and sweaters (if its below 65 F). I am not that concerned about shoes yet, but that is subject to change.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
They've always had the freedom. It's just a lot of women, like the author, aren't capable of it. Too susceptible to peer pressure and of being accepted, too little self-respect.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi from the brunswicks View Post
as a man, i take up the challenge :d. I always budget 10 minutes every morning for neatly combing my hair with coconut oil, applying cologne, and choosing nice looking shirts (or) t shirts, pants (shorts for casual wear if its above 85 f), belts, and sweaters (if its below 65 f). I am not that concerned about shoes yet, but that is subject to change.
LMAO

Anyway, lose the coconut oil. That is what Jersey mommas use to bifurcate who is FOB and who isn't.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Women could care less about a man's looks, so why should they bother? The unattractive male will always have a hot girl on his arm as long as there are girls waiting in line to reach out for it.

When are men going to have the freedom to work at 30k/year jobs and stay at home with their children?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
For every man who feels entitled to have a beautiful woman on hs arm, I'd say there are probably ten who would bang a catcher's mitt. I think overall men have lower standards than women. That's why there are so many more men paying for sex the women paying men for it.

Tell the short, fat, balding funny and interesting guy why he's going home alone on another Saturday night after an evening of laughs and drinks at the local watering hole. The Danny DeVitos with great senses of humor and worldly stories aren't being sought after by the Scarlet Johanssons and Salma Hayeks of the world.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
I have a friend from high school (we graduated in the early 70s) is even calls herself ugly. But you know what? She has been married to her high school sweetheart for almost 40 years now, and just today, he posted the sweetest love note on her facebook page. He's not unattractive in the least, but he loves her for her humor, artistic talent, wit, and intelligence. She is very smart that she didn't let her lack of conventional attractiveness affect her self-esteem, and that she found a guy who loves her for who she is, not just what she looked like. Because while it's quite possible for a woman to age gracefully, trust me, you aren't going to be the ripest plum in the fruit stand forever.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:33 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
Most lesbians don't give a hoot.
That knife cuts both ways, though, don't it?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Women have long had the freedom to be ugly. This is evidenced by the fact that there are millions of frumpy, Plain Jane-looking women walking the streets of every city in America.

So it's not that women "have to" look pretty. Just like men don't "have to" be charming, or well educated, or well-traveled, or well-compensated, or popular. Both sexes have freedom to be as unattractive (for men that means loserish) as they want to be.

"Freedom" is not the issue here. When people say "Why can't I have the freedom to be...," what they really mean is "Why can't I be fat/ugly/broke/socially inept and still get the people I'm attracted to because they're tall/beautiful/rich/charismatic/powerful?" In other words, they're angered by the fact they have to pay a price for what they want. These are people want to get something for nothing. Well, that's the way the world works. What more can I say?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
What I got from the initial article is that the question isn't just about women being unattractive in a dating context. Look at how Hilary Clinton gets criticized for her pantsuits or her ponytails, or how Lena Dunham is slammed for being naked on Girls. It's the pervasive attitude in culture that we all deserve to look at pretty women, even when being attractive has nothing to do with being capable or intelligent or whatever the task at hand is. It's a collective "how dare she?" or "why doesn't she dye her hair/get plastic surgery/fix her teeth/etc.?" So yeah, "unattractive" women walk around every day like they're people, but they don't get the perks or the kudos that attractive women do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty