U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times

Advertisements

Like Jerry Seinfeld's high-waisted 80s jeans and white tennis shoes? In the early 80s I had a pair of Levi's button fly jeans that I absolutely loved. They fit me perfectly and flattered my figure. Of course, I was young and thin then. The right leg got a tear in it that went all the way across in the back, from seam to seam, about mid thigh. I still wore them because I loved them. Never had a pair of jeans that fit that well, before or since.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,476,271 times
I like a nice mid-rise, bootcut jean, but it is hard to find them. The mid-rises are all way lower than mid- in my opinion.

But then, I'm an old lady, so what do I know.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,949,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
I miss the original 501 that were 100 percent cotton, they always fir me perfectly. Now days the only ones I can find for women have the pajama jean look and there are the mens cut which don't fit well anymore.
Freelee...

I see you're in GV. I lived there for a year (Promenade Place) & in Belmar Sq, Lakewood for the last yr, so am familiar with the Denver area. Have you been to the consignment shops on Arapahoe Rd in Centennial/Lone Tree right near the Pk Meadows Mall? They're about 5-mi from you... both in the same complex on Arapahoe/S. Yosemite next to the Sprouts. One is smaller & I didn't visit it but once/twice, but the other is owned by a man who has nicer things. He once told me he could look out for pieces for me, or a particular designer or sizes, if I let him know what I wanted. He did have some jeans, but if you want a specific size in 501 originals with a certain cut & 100% cotton, he might be able to find some for you in time. I do recall he had tons of merchandise in his back room... too much to put on the floor, so who knows what he's got back there? if you call around, he or other stores might be able to guide you. Of course, they will more than likely be used, but if that doesn't bother you, it might be a good bet.

Also, Goodwill stores have tons of used jeans. I will only wear leather jackets or jeans secondhand... somehow both are broken in nicely, so I don't care that they've been pre-worn. Of course, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack for something exact, but the GW in Littleton on Broadway (not too far from you) is an enormous store with an amazing amount of jeans, at least the last time I visited.

Also, have you tried Ebay or Etsy? If I understand you correctly, you're looking for a style they don't make any longer, so perhaps surfing the 'net might get you closer? Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,811,795 times
I don't know anyone that wears high-waisted.

I am VERY short-waisted, so I won't go near them. High-waisted on me? That's BOOB waisted! NO WAY!
I agree, c'mon people there are more options than high waist and butt crack. Why don't people get that? Everyone I talks too seems to think it's either high-waist or show your butt crack.

Yeah, I like low rise because on my short, short self that's more of a normal rise. I always squat down, bend, etc in the dressing room and make sure no butt-crack is going to show, etc. It's NOT that difficult. Mid-rise is a little too high, but there are some low-rise that fit lower without showing it all. I remember when they first came out, I loved them but then they went all crazy with it and started with the "Ultra low rise", etc and took it too far.

I'll stick with a low, or just a lower type rise as it will fit more mid rise on me. High waist is just way unflattering on someone so short-waisted on me. I would look like those old geezer stereotypes with their pants hiked up to their chest. That rise doesn't look like the correct trend-fit on me. It looks really, really bad on me.

I've also noticed jeans lately are too small in the legs for me, but HUGE in the waist/stomach, so they would probably just sag and bunch up in the waist area because I'd have to buy them larger to fit in the leg area.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 AM

741 posts, read 1,024,625 times
When not pregnant, I seem to have a tiny waist and large hips. They are not "fat", just a wide boney pelvis. Those high waisted jeans cinched in around my narrow waist makes my butt look like a giant bag. No thanks!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,842,536 times
I miss the original 501 that were 100 percent cotton, they always fir me perfectly. Now days the only ones I can find for women have the pajama jean look and there are the mens cut which don't fit well anymore.

So does my wife and the only thing close she can get these days are sold in the LL Bean catalog. And they aren't "mommy" jeans.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Like Jerry Seinfeld's high-waisted 80s jeans and white tennis shoes? In the early 80s I had a pair of Levi's button fly jeans that I absolutely loved. They fit me perfectly and flattered my figure. Of course, I was young and thin then. The right leg got a tear in it that went all the way across in the back, from seam to seam, about mid thigh. I still wore them because I loved them. Never had a pair of jeans that fit that well, before or since.
Other than very thin women, I usually see that bump from the low rise pants. Hey, I used to wear
hip huggers back when I was very thin......then came having kids plus age. High rise doesn't mean
hitting your breasts but just by the belly button. And in the 80's they had high-waisted pants
which I wore before kids and take a look at the pants on Anne Archer (those wear really high)
from the film Fatal Attraction.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Here's a photo.

http://www.pathe.nl/gfx_content/allo...cher_25716.jpg

Old 10-26-2013, 01:03 PM

706 posts, read 911,897 times
The only jeans that I like on me are low rise. Like someone else already stated, you have to be very careful wearing high waisted jeans or they will look like the dreaded mom jeans. Low rise skinnies are my favorite.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:18 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
The only jeans that I like on me are low rise. Like someone else already stated, you have to be very careful wearing high waisted jeans or they will look like the dreaded mom jeans. Low rise skinnies are my favorite.
I like midrise skinnies. They hit at a flattering part of the waist for people like me!

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty