U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:12 AM

944 posts, read 771,343 times

Advertisements

All you have to do is shop around your favorite stores and you'll see that most will carry similar fashion; that'll tell you what's generally in style unless you live in a small town and they're years or even months behind. Most parts of California and New York are usually ahead of times in regards to fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM

343 posts, read 313,446 times
I do not care about what is "in". As a matter of fact I am quite "rebellious" when it comes to current trends. I do not what to wear what most women wear...what considered trendy and fashionable, like loose shapeless tops with skinny pants combination, low-high hem, leggings type pants.. I stay with classic lines and buy only clothes that I know will still look good a few years from now. I look for quality in my closet not quantity. And sewing clothes for myself helps me a lot.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:33 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,482,728 times
Thumbs up  

Quote:
I do not care about what is "in". As a matter of fact I am quite "rebellious" when it comes to current trends. I do not what to wear what most women wear...what considered trendy and fashionable, like loose shapeless tops with skinny pants combination, low-high hem, leggings type pants.. I stay with classic lines and buy only clothes that I know will still look good a few years from now. I look for quality in my closet not quantity. And sewing clothes for myself helps me a lot.
Excellent.... Seems like me and you HAVE OUR OWN MINDS

Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,509,536 times
Well, I see this thread has been revived. OK, my go-to magazine is InStyle even though I'm in my 60's. I get the general concept of what's on-trend (hair, makeup, accessories and clothing) and then adjust my look accordingly and within my budget. InStyle features clothes that are put together in all kinds of combinations and aren't super-expensive. They also feature makeup ranging from expensive to drugstore brands. More realistic for us average folks than the stuff in Vogue.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:02 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,101,708 times
One infallible guide for me: If I am wearing it, it is in.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:49 AM

412 posts, read 378,207 times
EDIT: Oh I thought the question asked if you knew what was in or not.

How I find out what is in: walking on my campus, looking at fashion magazines (Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, etc.), celebrity candids, going out in nice parts of town and so on.

I'm not much of a trend person; I shop more for quality basics I can wear for a long time. However, every once in awhile I may get an outfit that I really like for the rare night out. But it's not like I ever go anywhere so I have no real reason to be on every trend.

Last edited by Pink90; 12-03-2015 at 01:59 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 04:02 PM

18,917 posts, read 12,521,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm 54 and shop at Lands End and LL Bean. Garanimals for adults. Also JC Penney and Macy's.

Avoid Alfred Dunner. I hope I never get that old ... LOL
I love your description of LE and Bean stuff as Garanimals for adults! But yes. Also agree about Dunner stuff.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:09 PM

18,917 posts, read 12,521,112 times
Basically, I look at catalogs that come into my house. I look for stuff that might flatter me. But overall, I like the classics. I wore a years old button down shirt yesterday. I do like layering tee under shirts and other tees for the winter though. For me that is a good look that is no longer trendy, but accepted.

I do think the different lengths on a hemline are a nice change, but I don't own any tops like that. One of my jackets has a longer tail though, and I can tighten it with a elastic run through the hem and anchored inside he pockets. It is designed that way to keep the wind from blowing up my backside.

Most trends seem to apply to younger women, I find. If you are a younger woman, then buy a couple of fashion mags and study what's hot.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:25 PM

19,055 posts, read 10,086,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
How I find out what is in: walking on my campus, looking at fashion magazines (Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, etc.), celebrity candids, going out in nice parts of town and so on.

This is what I do as well. Not that I try to mirror magazines and celebrities but I like to see what's going on and when I see something that appeals to me, I might take the time to search for a version that works for me. I'm not a slave to trends and I'm not trying to look like a 20-something, but I don't like to be dated looking either. Neutral works, a nod to what's current works, what was trendy 3 or 4 years ago, not so much.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:03 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,598,525 times
Too many people wear Polo, North Face, Lacoste and Patagonia its almost annoying even thou I do like North Face thats the only trendy brand I like. I like to be to go against the trends I almost never wear anything with any logo's on it except North Face because I like their jackets and fleeces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or