U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:57 PM

147 posts, read 238,175 times

Advertisements

Where are your sources to find out what's in style, and how to put together an outfit?

I'm 42 so don't want to go too young looking, nor am I an old hag yet. I observe what others are wearing when I'm in crowds, but don't really rely on models in magazines or celebrities as usually what they're wearing is either unaffordable for the average person, or it's ugly (like some of the runway stuff, ugh.)

Anything out there you use as your go-to to see what others are wearing that you like?

Last edited by Julie4530; 10-22-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM

706 posts, read 912,068 times
I usually check out my fav clothing catalogs...Victoria's Secret, Cache and Boston Proper. I'll also read Vogue magazine and put together outfits that are still trendy but at a lower price point.

Then sometimes I make my own style whether it's "in" or not.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:15 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
I read magazines. I like Lucky/People Style Watch/In Style if you just want to see trends.

But I have a pretty good idea of my own style, and just create a list every season of what I'd like to add that is "on trend" and stick with my basics otherwise.

**I like pencil skirts, cardigans, bright colors. My style is kinda prim and preppy with an edge.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:24 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
If I want to add a current "trend" to my wardrobe (much of my wardrobe is classic), I'll look at online pics (e.g. from Vogue, Harper's sites) of current runway shows and try to mimic a few elements (in an affordable way). From Fall/Winter fashion week pics, I spotted some trends I like - e.g. I am shopping for a few new "trendy" handbags - a fur one and a portfolio clutch.

I also look very closely at the colors/cut/design of clothes/shoes/jewelry on the runway (e.g. collar shapes, shoe heels/toe shapes) and I try to mimic that in less expensive (though still quality) pieces. A lot of knowing what is "in" is observing what those on the cutting edge are doing (e.g. NY/Paris runway, big city street chic, some designer boutique windows, etc.).

Old 10-22-2013, 04:41 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
I don't care what is 'in' or 'out'.
I know what looks good on me, and I spend my money on that.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie4530 View Post
Where are your sources to find out what's in style, and how to put together an outfit?
I'm 54 and shop at Lands End and LL Bean. Garanimals for adults. Also JC Penney and Macy's.

Quote:
nor am I an old hag yet
Avoid Alfred Dunner. I hope I never get that old ... LOL

Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM

15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
well, here in brooklyn, as a man, I go to a neighborhood called Sunset Park and see what we call the "ghetto boys" are wearing, if they are wearing it, it is in style and fierce.
these boys don't play when it comes to fashion.

but I'm a bit older so I have to modify it a bit, but thats basically how we find out about fashion.

It does also help that I have 3 boys who will completely ridicule me to death if I wear something terrible and not in style.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,587,648 times
I have some favorite clothing catalogs I look at and buy from - bodenusa; garnetthill - also stores like Ann Taylor. I avoid "young" or cheap catalogs and stores. Fashion magazines are pretty useless, I think, for a short, fat 40-something.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM

748 posts, read 1,356,436 times
Well i'm a 30 year old female and I generally don't really worry about what others wear so much as what I want to wear. I wear what I like no matter who thinks what. I currently wear a lot of neons, a lot of beach clothing like beach dresses, and I have a lot of brand clothing from hollister, ae, old navy, ralph lauren polo, and others.

I'm currently trying to build my clothing up to dress more "southern", seems the south has their own style. So now i'm currently buying bright beachy colors, lots of palm tree and moon stuff, looking towards buying jack rodgers sandles, and lilly pulitzer to name two brands. I also need some stuff from salt life, southern proper vineyard vines and others.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,263 times
I'm stubborn. I wear what I want LOL. There's always classic stuff that never goes out of style. If I'm observant enough, I can see things that are in style. But, I usually don't hop on the bandwagon of the "in your face" latest trends that come and go too quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or