Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think polo shirts are horrific. I would like to destroy the few polos (remnants of old cubicle farm jobs) in my fiance's closet, thanks very much. IMO, polo shirts = fast food/convenience store clerk uniforms, or random business casual office issue.
I hate polos, Sounds like the OP is having a mid life crisis, and wants everyone to dress like a grandpa, surprise he didnt require Fedora and suspenders.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:45 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I hate polos, Sounds like the OP is having a mid life crisis, and wants everyone to dress like a grandpa, surprise he didnt require Fedora and suspenders.
As long as I can have a walking stick with a mean ass bird or somethin as a crown I'll put up with the Fedora. Suspenders are a no go.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
I don't really care what other people wear.

I like casual dress. I'm forced to wear a suit and tie to work all week, and on the weekends, the last thing I want to do is get dressed up. I'm 51, and I wear jeans and retro-type sneakers (though not Converse or Vans), but I don't wear t-shirts except to the beach or to go for a jog.

To each his own. We all have more important things to worry about than what other people wear.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I'm sorry but the 40 year old guy with a suit coat, t-shirt, denim and skate shoes is uber cool and classic, its so " I don't have to work for anyone anymore."

Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
Well, "low brow" I must be, and certainly a fashion faux pah. I do hope that a man grown can still wear boots? The footwear you deem appropriate would not last long with me to neither would ny feet, should I wear them. Horse related deposits ya know. I wear logo t shirts as well. Sometimes even in public, anx I kinda like my hi top tennies when I don't have to wear my boots. Going to the store or just having a relaxing day. I wear boots for dress footwear too. I also (gasp)they wear hats. Either my cowboy hat or a ball cap for depending. I must be a presentation complete Neanderthal, yes?. As to jeans, mine fit properly. I don't do the hood rat or metrosexual gig. Boot cut Levis and Wranglers are whats in my dresser. 501 Levis fit me best and allow the type of movement I need.

Honestly, you seem pretty uptight pard. But hey, we are all individuals.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I will be 46 in a couple of days and look pretty young for my age (been told I look mid 30s). I love wearing t-shirts and Converse sneakers as a way to "relax" and "kick back", I don't think it looks silly or stupid at all. Maybe in a past generation (probably at this point a very past generation as I think the one right before me never gave up their youth either) people just got uptight once they hit 30 or so.

That said, unlike when I was say half my current age, I do like wearing some of the styles the OP mentioned and am fortunate enough to be in a job where those clothes/styles are acceptable wear most of the time (except for special meetings, etc. but I don't mind occasionally "dressing up" too) and I often wear those styles outside of work as well. I personally don't like skinny jeans either and think they look kind of "girlish", but I see anything wrong with guys wearing them either, to each their own and different strokes for different folks.

My wife (who's actually a couple of years older than me and actually looks a bit younger than me) still looks smokin' in a T-shirt and jeans too. Enjoy, life is too short to do otherwise!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:15 AM

92 posts, read 183,434 times
Dear Mr JeffersonDavis,

Who appointed you the fashion police? If you like to dress in the way you describe, then that is your choice. How others dress, however, is not your concern at all.

You come across as very high strung and anal. Live and let live, Mr JeffersonDavis.

Age is nothing but a number, and if you are bothered by the way others dress, then turn away and MYOB.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I will be 46 in a couple of days and look pretty young for my age (been told I look mid 30s). I love wearing t-shirts and Converse sneakers as a way to "relax" and "kick back", I don't think it looks silly or stupid at all. Maybe in a past generation (probably at this point a very past generation as I think the one right before me never gave up their youth either) people just got uptight once they hit 30 or so.

That said, unlike when I was say half my current age, I do like wearing some of the styles the OP mentioned and am fortunate enough to be in a job where those clothes/styles are acceptable wear most of the time (except for special meetings, etc. but I don't mind occasionally "dressing up" too) and I often wear those styles outside of work as well. I personally don't like skinny jeans either and think they look kind of "girlish", but I see anything wrong with guys wearing them either, to each their own and different strokes for different folks.

My wife (who's actually a couple of years older than me and actually looks a bit younger than me) still looks smokin' in a T-shirt and jeans too. Enjoy, life is too short to do otherwise!
I'm completely with you. Hitting a certain age doesn't mean you lose the right to dress comfortably. I love retro sneakers like the Converse Chuck Taylors, Puma Clydes, etc. Nothing wrong with wearing them.

I think more important than the way you dress as you age is the way you take care of yourself. If you stay nice and trim, work out, etc., there's nothing wrong with dressing younger and more casual to show off what you have.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:33 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
And we should all get fitted for a truss.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:30 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
I think it has more to do with looks and personality than age. Some people can pull off dressing younger than they are and some can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty