Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 02:44 PM

632 posts, read 932,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
No! Get over yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 AM

372 posts, read 740,237 times
I agree with the OP, but that's just for me and what I wear. If everybody else wants to dress like a kid, then that's their choice. It just makes my style stand out more.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,544 times
Quote:
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
I smell mothballs and BenGay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Damn. I didn't realize how low brow and immature I was. Thanks for letting me know.
I didn't realize I'm attracted to low brow and immature men! If my boyfriend ever wore loafers or derbies or anything like that... well, he just wouldn't. He'd throw them out the window and grab his Nikes, immediately. And I'd be standing there handing them to him. They go better with his Ga Tech hoodies.

I'm sure the OP would LOVE that I borrow my BF's Pillsbury Doughboy novelty pj pants all the time (though, surely OP would approve of the fact that my boyfriend never wears them because they were a "wtf" Christmas present). Still, we are a poppin' fresh couple in our early 40s, and I don't care what anybody says!!! Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbt! Yes, I'm blowing raspberries at YOU, OP!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
I will actually agree with the OP on the Vans thing. I've seen 30+ year old guys wear these things around my office on casual day. It looks freakin' stupid imo and is some sort of urban hipster thing that seriously needs to go away. I will disagree on pretty much everything else except the baggy jeans.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I will actually agree with the OP on the Vans thing. I've seen 30+ year old guys wear these things around my office on casual day. It looks freakin' stupid imo and is some sort of urban hipster thing that seriously needs to go away. I will disagree on pretty much everything else except the baggy jeans.
I disagree with the Vans, but will see the OP's baggy jeans, wife beaters, and raise him a pair of flip flops. I'm not a fan of sandals on men, either, but, hey, men need to cool their feet, too.

I sheepishly admit I had to Google derbies (thought he meant the hat) and monks (again...hat...). No, I daresay that's a little too stuffy for my taste, ol' chap. Hip hip, cheerio, guvnah, an' all that.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:44 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I disagree with the Vans, but will see the OP's baggy jeans, wife beaters, and raise him a pair of flip flops. I'm not a fan of sandals on men, either, but, hey, men need to cool their feet, too.

I sheepishly admit I had to Google derbies (thought he meant the hat) and monks (again...hat...). No, I daresay that's a little too stuffy for my taste, ol' chap. Hip hip, cheerio, guvnah, an' all that.
LOL I thought they were some type of shoes.
I looked at the derbies ones - it just looks like what Charlie Chaplin wore.
Maybe the troll is as old as Charlie Chaplin?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
Quote:
He'd throw them out the window and grab his Nikes, immediately. And I'd be standing there handing them to him. They go better with his Ga Tech hoodies.
Still, we are a poppin' fresh couple in our early 40s, and I don't care what anybody says!!! Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbt! Yes, I'm blowing raspberries at YOU, OP!
I'd suggest reading up on how Nike runs its business. At least you can still buy New Balance that are made here if you go to their website.

Quote:
I disagreeI'm not a fan of sandals on men, either, but, hey, men need to cool their feet, too.
I wear flesh out or brown leather boots in the hot humid summers of the northeast, and I never have a problem with my feet overheating. I hate the heat by the way. I am a winter snow loving person. Flesh out boots keep my feet cooler than flip flops. The direct sunlight negates any benefits of sandals. Look at how people in the desert dress... Skin exposed to direct sunlight in hot weather doesn't mean cooler.

I have worn kombat boots since the punk rocker days in the 70s. Tanker boots went well with kut off kamouflage shorts. When I outgrew the days of dressing like a punk skater, they blended in with jeans and casual attire quite well. American made combat boots generally last me 15 or more years. I take care of the leather, and they get resoled quite often. If you don't think a pair of good quality leather shoes will last a lifetime, you just don't know what you're talking about, or the cheap Chinese shoes you wear have skewed your opinion/mislead you to believe you've got to buy a new pair every 3 - 6 months. That's the fascism of konsumerism, 2 - 4 pairs of cheap Chinese shoes every year = more money for the banksters, korporate moguls, and advertising than 1 pair of American made footwear every 10 - 30 years.

While a shadow of its former self, there are numerous American made options out there.

While many of you may not realize it, your footwear is the first thing many people judge you on. While you may find it cool that you're sporting sneakers or flip flops, not everybody does. Furthermore, I can tell a lot about a person by what they have on their feet. It's quite revealing.

The first thing I consider whenever I buy anything is its country of origin. If I can't find American, I often just go without, but I will always consider the country of origin and buy accordingly. Yes, I'm driven quite nuts by most American's shopping habits because it's online shopping only for me because nobody cares about buying cheap foreign junk.

Thanks for reading,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-05-2013 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,017,733 times
Quote:
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse,
Agree

Quote:
vans,
EXCEPT if Vans decides to bring back the velvet Vans. I would wear those in a hot minute. They were amazing looking shoes.

Quote:
hi-tops
Disagree. I have some BOGS that are high top and they look perfectly fine. Same with Lugs or Sketchers. It depends on the style - some styles look "ghetto" or corny, some don't.

Quote:
or other kid type shoes.
You could argue that Nike is a "kid type shoe". But it isn't, depending on the style.

Quote:
Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers.
Then why are T-shirts given out at conventions, in grown people sizes? Microsoft does it, Google does it, most tech firms do it. This is a silly, overbroad statement.

Quote:
Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual.
Agree

Quote:
Baggy jeans are low class and ugly.
I guarantee you, if you were to see certain men wear certain baggy jeans, you'd think they look good on the person. It's all about the style (noticing a repeating trend here?)

Quote:
Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?
If grown men weren't meant to wear some of the things you mentioned they wouldn't make them in grown sizes. Think.

Quote:
The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers.
At work, maybe. But why wear that garbage to a baseball game? #Derp

Quote:
Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos.
Southpole makes button-up shirts, are you saying they're ok?
Sean John makes polo shirts, are you saying they're ok?
lots of button-up shirts come with crazy graphics and whatnot on them, are you saying they're ok based on your previous statements?

#Derp

Quote:
NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos,
So your company should not be giving out those T-shirts to employees...K

Quote:
wife beaters,
If I feel like sleeping in an undershirt that has no sleeves why's it matter whether I'm grown or not?

Quote:
sports jerseys
So you're saying this is wrong then? At a sports game? #Derp

Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I'd suggest reading up on how Nike runs its business. At least you can still buy New Balance that are made here if you go to their website.

The first thing I consider whenever I buy anything is its country of origin. If I can't find American, I often just go without, but I will always consider the country of origin and buy accordingly. Yes, I'm driven quite nuts by most American's shopping habits because it's online shopping only for me because nobody cares about buying cheap foreign junk.

Thanks for reading,
bolillo
Actually, it's funny you say that because my boyfriend is the same way. He buys American and will get up on his soapbox at folks that will buy foreign to save a few bucks. I just used "Nike" because it was the first brand that popped into my head, so excuse that little slip up. I don't know what brand he actually wears.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
When I was 27, I was dating a girl who had just turned 21. We went out clothes shopping together, and she told me she wanted to help me pick out a few new outfits... so, she took me to Tully's and some other store. She dressed me up how she though looked the best and coolest... I felt like anyone who looked at me would think I was either

a) in denial of the fact that I was a late-20's working professional, or

b) suffering from some sort of social personality disorder that made it so that I had no perception of how I was dressed

c) a coke dealer

The outfit I walked away with was a black and grey horizontal-striped sweatshirt under an oversized black military-style jacket, a pair of very dark grey distressed skinny jeans, a black Volcom baseball cap, a pair of purple patent leather and blue plaid Onitsuka Tiger hightops, a studded leather belt, and some very large white-framed shades. She was all over me, going on about how cool and hot I looked; teenagers we passed by at the mall and on the street seemed to think I was exceptionally cool.

Everyone else looked at me like I was in denial of my age, had some sort of problem, or was a coke dealer.

I later donated every piece of that outfit except the jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty