U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,243,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post

The first thing I consider whenever I buy anything is its country of origin. If I can't find American, I often just go without, but I will always consider the country of origin and buy accordingly. Yes, I'm driven quite nuts by most American's shopping habits because it's online shopping only for me because nobody cares about buying cheap foreign junk.

Thanks for reading,
bolillo
I'm sure you already know, but for those who don't, uniform shops are the best source for finding USA footwear. Just look under the listing for union public servants(Police/Fire/Govt./etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I hate polos, Sounds like the OP is having a mid life crisis, and wants everyone to dress like a grandpa, surprise he didnt require Fedora and suspenders.
When you guys say "polos", is this what you mean? http://a392.idata.over-blog.com/0/10...son-epouse.jpg

That's Louis XX, the heir to the (now honorary) Throne of France, and one of the most beautiful (and beautifully dressed) men I've ever laid eyes on. He wears shirts like that a lot. And frankly, polos are so basic, I don't know what else men would wear in bad climates where short sleeves are sometimes unavoidable. Not everybody looks OK in teeshirts.

As for pleated trousers... Some men need them. Men with robust bodies and big... um... equipment... look indecent in plain-front business/dressy/formal/suit trousers. And that's true of khakis, too. Unless you're some scrawny thing with tiny junk, plain-fronts show way too much.

Frankly, my Husband and Sons wear most of what OP forbids, and most of what he endorses (although they are more expensive and edgy that what Mr. Jefferson Davis would approve of, I'm sure). They have a lot of clothes, and dress for whatever they're going to be doing. It must be nice to just exist... and throw on some shapeless nothing, without really thinking. Just grab something out of a pile of stuff that's been washed in some toxic enzyme detergent, and go... I'm envious. I doubt many of you have so much as a mirror bay in your homes, for checking yourselves out. Must be nice. Our Decorator knows, now, to instruct his Architect to fit our houses with mirrored runways... with settings for simulating various light conditions... and video cameras from several angles... It would be Heaven to NOT have to worry about looking OK.... to just be drab and shapeless and grey... But then, if we hadn't worried and struggled to look good, I'd surely still be working in some little office, and DH would have never made it past 'Lab Technician'.

As for the shapeless, colorless clothing most men wear, today... Fine with me. Looking baggy and shapeless and colorless strikes me as being every bit as homophobic and fearful as the OP appears to be. And it comes off as low class loserwear. But it's their business, not mine. Do as you please. Unlike Mr. Jefferson Davis, I do not think men should or should not be obliged to wear or not wear various types of clothing. I do not link superficialities like appearance with morality and duty (or whatever is in Mr. Jefferson Davis' mind).

But be aware that people at the pinnacle of society (Like Louis XX) still wear traditional clothing when it's appropriate (and wear whatever they want... including flipflops and tees, when it's appropriate). As for people with enormous money and power (Louis, I think, has a bit of money - probably less than a hundred million Euros - and no power at all, beyond what the Pope, and the remnants of the Franco Regime, can arrange for him)... We were in France, a few summers back, and one of our sons pointed out one of Russia's Oligarchs - someone truly rich and powerful - one of the guys who basically stole enormous assets during the period of Privatization. Worth tens of billions. Youngish and very fit, and in the company of his beautiful young wife, he had on Cargo Shorts, sandals, and one of those 'dreaded' polo shirts... That night, our paths crossed again. He'd taken off the polo and donned a long-sleeved henley. Nice bod. But if he were standing near my Sons at Temple, or across a conference table from them, he (and they) would be in traditional shoes, pleated trousers, French cuffs... There's room in most people's lives, for a wide array of clothing.

It's fine to dress however you want. In fact, if you want to run around naked, like people do on some beaches where we go, and on the streets of San Francisco.... I totally endorse your choice. If you want to wear lovely women's jewelry and teensy bikinis, as men have done at our hotel in Positano, then please do. In fact, if I'm on a nearby lounge chair, I may even qvell over how wonderfully that chest-full of greying hair sets off your diamond and sapphire necklace.

But characterizing traditional/fitted clothing as "old" may be going a bit far.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-11-2013 at 12:38 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 12:32 AM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
Maybe i should switch to sandals?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

As for pleated trousers... Some men need them. Men with robust bodies and big... um... equipment... look indecent in plain-front business/dressy/formal/suit trousers. And that's true of khakis, too. Unless you're some scrawny thing with tiny junk, plain-fronts show way too much.
This is a bizarre statement. Hardly anybody wears pleated pants these days. They've been out of style for about 15 years. Does that mean that most men walking around look indecent? What about men who wear jeans?

Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
This is a bizarre statement. Hardly anybody wears pleated pants these days. They've been out of style for about 15 years. Does that mean that most men walking around look indecent? What about men who wear jeans?
Armani Collezioni - Yarn Dye Twill Pants - Saks.com They're skimpy and unflattering: but they do have pleats. Saks and Armani are both pretty mainstream, are both in the business of being fashionable, and so wouldn't be selling something that, "...hardly anybody wears...".

Are you one of those people who think that only three-button suits are in style for men? And that all ties that aren't skinny are "out"? DH has been getting the same "fashion advice" from people like that, since we were eighteen.

At no point have Plain-front trousers been the only fashionable option. Even when three-button suit jackets were the rage, two-button jackets were still 'in-style'. And at all times, a variety of necktie widths are fashionable. Or are you one of those people running around saying, "Nobody wears neckties, anymore!"?

And as for your reading comprehension: you did notice I qualified what I said about plain-fronts by phrasing it as, "...look indecent in plain-front business/dressy/formal/suit trousers..." . Jeans are not 'business/dressy/formal/suit' pants. Denim is stiff enough to suppress "the masculine profile", somewhat. Even so, it's often pretty easy to tell what guys have going on beneath their jeans. There's a wonderful moment in that astonishingly awful Dawn-of-the-Eighties/Death-Throes-of-the-Seventies movie, 'Can't Stop the Music', where Bruce Jenner and Steve Guttenberg are both prancing about in plain-front shorts. It's obvious that inside his cutoff jeans, Jenner's got a 'roll-o'-Dimes', while Guttenberg is packin' a roll of whatever is the biggest coin in the World - 'roll-o'-Mardi-Gras-Doubloons', maybe? I can't find a whole clip of that scene. But here's the trailer: Poor little Bruce Jenner's moment is around 1:52 Can't Stop the Music Trailer - YouTube

And have you seen the closeup bluejean shots of bigot extraordinaire John Rocker? ¡Ay, caramba! It pays to advertize!

But wait! I found it! Imagine men running around in shorts like some of the ones in that movie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWBLA2rQgM

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-12-2013 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM

15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
no!, I don't agree with you on any of this.

What makes you an authority on this?

Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM

97 posts, read 119,639 times
Well since I grew up with old school Converse and Vans I am allowed. I prefer Asics and Saucony for most things now.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
no!, I don't agree with you on any of this.

What makes you an authority on this?
What do you think of the post above yours that says that men look indecent if they wear pants that aren't pleated?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Haha

Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM

97 posts, read 119,639 times
If I give up the Vans can I keep the cap flipped up with doo rag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or