U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 AM

8,283 posts, read 5,835,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?

Actually I'd agree with a lot of what you said, until you said skinny jeans are effeminate.

I'm in my 50s and wear them, because my wife (yes) likes me wearing them. And I have the build for them (I'm slimmer now than when I was 40). So there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 04:20 AM

18 posts, read 6,546 times
This is a great deliberately edgy OP. The homosexual comment is borderline offensive, but really pokes people right in their prejudices and forces them to spout indignant moral platitudes ("you'd be surprised how diverse gay people look!" or "homophobes are cryptogays!"). It also makes them quite defensive ("I earn a lot of money and yet I routinely wear cargo shorts because I live in the suburbs!").

Personally, I think one of the big problems with sartorial attitudes in some countries is that there is too much differentiation between formal and informal, and too much focus on brands and price rather than types of clothes. Either you dress as if it is a black-tie event (or, at best, a job interview), or you dress like you are living in the streets (or at a bad gym). People can get quite judgemental if you break an obscure local code for the former and wear the wrong brand of watches, but they think it is perfectly fine to go to a theatre in a baseball cap and a t-shirt. The yuge space in-between ultra-formal and ultra-informal gets consumed by the latter.

Though many in the thread are calling the OP 'old man' and 'ultra-conservative', it is actually conservatives who are often more guilty of this attitude, because they emphasise formal looks so much and get so nervous about them that they cannot uphold them other than on special occasions. Someone wore a shirt with a certain type of collar but no tie, what a travesty.

Another problem is with brands and price. You get the same trashy sneakers instead of regular leather shoes, but they have a logo and cost ten times as much. Now, that is perhaps a bohemian rejection of middle class values, but there is no target for that assault, since there is no decent-dressing 'bourgeoisie' whose tastes you mock. It's not the 1940s.

I presume it is all tied to the idea that nobody is allowed to judge your tastes and you in general, especially if you work hard, so you can read whatever trashy novels, watch whatever rubbish, listen to whatever unedifying music, play whatever stupid games, and wear whatever unfortunate attire that you desire. While outwardly nice and egalitarian, it is actually quite dangerous to the intellectual life of a nation, because it often leads to any efforts at self-cultivation to be stigmatised as foppish or snooty, so people get a slap on the wrist for trying to be a little better and rising above mass culture.

Last edited by Hums; 04-04-2018 at 04:41 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 07:01 PM

324 posts, read 93,172 times
No no one else agrees...

Old 04-12-2018, 03:32 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,542,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
If you're an "older" person and get criticized by a younger person for wearing: "...converse, Vans, high-tops, or other kid type shoes...", just tell them you are being "ironic". As they can not recognize real "irony", they will accept this explanation and, fearing triggering someone with an "ageist" comment, will drop their interest in your shoes and move on.
Or tell them Bill Gates, creator of their favorite Xbox console weara them, he's old and wealthy.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:46 AM

1,986 posts, read 713,904 times
Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable in a casual environment.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:23 AM

9,068 posts, read 5,656,138 times
I never thought athletic shoes, were all that stylish to begin with, even when I was young. With the exception of when I was doing freestyle BMX riding...I had red white and blue and checkered Vans slip ons. Then went to a period of Docksiders, then transitioned into Doc Marten's.
Now at the age of 49 I rarely wear athletic shoes, unless I'm biking, or on the elliptical. I wear either hand made leather boots or hiking style boots.
To each their own. I also think the trend of shirts that are a size or two to small, and skinny jeans, pants, that are 3 " too short do look effeminate. I work in an office and that is all I see on many of the younger crowd. Just my opinion, although it's coming from a overweight middle aged person so who's going to listen to my sense of style.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:07 AM

401 posts, read 126,216 times
I'm below the age of 25, and generally wear suits and leather dress shoes, yet I disagree......

Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
I wonder if the OP is still working at the Tom McCann Shoe store alongside Al Bundy?

Old 04-18-2018, 01:45 PM

506 posts, read 301,036 times
Quote:
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
LOL!

Anyways, I'm going to continue being a fabulous, slim-fit jean, converse wearing homosexual who still dresses better than straight men who stick to such rigid and sloppy senses of "style" because they're afraid of "looking" gay

Last edited by ajams22; 04-18-2018 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 04:56 PM

15,744 posts, read 13,171,628 times
Quote:
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

Anyone else agree?
No. People SHOULD wear what they like and others SHOULD keep their thoughts about others clothing to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or