Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,981,687 times

Advertisements

wow, I'll be 30 this year.... guess I need to get me a pair of old man sketchers with the velcro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:29 AM

1,299 posts, read 817,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
To each their own, I tend to like being somewhat stylish, or at least look like I care about my appearance. Other's don't, if it works for you , great.
Dressing differently than you do doesn't equate to not caring about their appearance. It just means that someone has a different viewpoint that you do. The arrogance of "I care about my appearance" is amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Even a runner generally doesn't wear their running gear out as casual wear.

There is a time and place for types of clothes , in my opinion.

If I'm out dirt biking, I'll have my MX boots , a t shirt or jersey and mx pants. I would dare were them anywhere else though

If I'm off to the gun range, hiking or work boots , jeans and a t shirt.

If I'm riding my pedal bike, t shirt, shorts and some running shoes.

Since my workplace has a very lax dress code I generally wear raw denim jeans (straight fit), button up shirts and hand made boots. I do see people with non collared shirts, skinny jeans and Vans or Chucks and I just don't think it looks good.

My casual wear is usually the same as my work wear. Collared shirt , raw denim and stylish boots.

Hiking /work boots, or athletic shoes are saved for that type of activity, not casual wear.
As for the boldeds:

A) apparently you don't know many runners! lol

And B) Wearing running shoes on a bike make you look like a total loser. They are horrible on bike pedals, they're far too soft for comfort for anything kind of speed or distance. Plus the pedals wear them out. Proper cycling shoes make way more sense.*

*See, that attitude works in different ways!

Personally, I'm glad that there are all sorts of individuals expressing themselves through their clothing. I wear all sorts of "wrong" things for a 50 year old woman, but I'm always covered up, comfortable, and clean.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:20 AM

29,030 posts, read 14,379,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Dressing differently than you do doesn't equate to not caring about their appearance. It just means that someone has a different viewpoint that you do. The arrogance of "I care about my appearance" is amusing.

As for the boldeds:

A) apparently you don't know many runners! lol

And B) Wearing running shoes on a bike make you look like a total loser. They are horrible on bike pedals, they're far too soft for comfort for anything kind of speed or distance. Plus the pedals wear them out. Proper cycling shoes make way more sense.*

*See, that attitude works in different ways!

Personally, I'm glad that there are all sorts of individuals expressing themselves through their clothing. I wear all sorts of "wrong" things for a 50 year old woman, but I'm always covered up, comfortable, and clean.

And the reason my comment which you replied to , seemed snarky was it was a reply to

I don't know many runners this is true, although if the wife and I go out to dinner I rarely see couples out dressed like this:
http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/wp...Collection.jpg

As far as the cycling shoes. Those days are long gone. I bike for my enjoyment , and don't need the aero helmet, spandex and cycling shoes.

My original reply was to this :

"Originally Posted by villageidiot1
Who care about being stylish? The fact is most basketball shoes come in hi-tops and I still have a few more years of basketball left. And at 63, I really don't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks.

To each their own, I tend to like being somewhat stylish, or at least look like I care about my appearance. Other's don't, if it works for you , great. "

Call it arrogance, call it whatever you want. The fact that I like to care about my appearance and try to be stylish, is no different then those that "dress for comfort". Like I said, to each their own.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:30 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,477,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
wow, I'll be 30 this year.... guess I need to get me a pair of old man sketchers with the velcro.
They're in the aisle with Depends.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:35 AM

4,170 posts, read 6,861,011 times
I find it odd that lots of people assume it's one or the other. I have 4-5 pairs of dress shoes ranging from $100 Aldos to allen edmonds and a couple other pairs of dress shoes that are in the ~$200 range. I have 5 pairs of low top chucks and 2 pairs of high top chucks currently. I have 4 pairs of vans slip ons. 2 pairs of vans low top shoes. A pair of vans skate shoes (used for actual skating). A couple pairs of leather Frye boots. A couple pairs of steel toed work boots. Brown burnished leather chelseas. light brown suede chelseas etc. etc. (not going to list all my shoes out here..the point is made haha)

All in the same closet. They are all stylish and all purposeful in the right setting. The idea that an adult wearing vans or chucks is unstylish or not mature is silly. But so is the idea that someone who has nice leathers is stuffy and boring.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,973,152 times
HAHAHHAHAAAA.......

I had been thinking about getting myself some Chucks for a few months now...... reading the OP and some of the replies just inspired me to order my first two pairs that will arrive a bit before before my 58th birthday...... Copanut's comment about a woman in Chucks was just the icing on the cake.......

one dark gray and one navy.....

Old 04-26-2018, 01:43 PM

774 posts, read 740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?

What does a ((((gasp)))) HOMOSEXUAL look like? and what's wrong with looking like one?

What about women over the age of 25? Do you get to decide what is "appropriate" for us? When was the last time you got laid?

Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,167,579 times
There are periodic threads about what older women should or should not wear. Those are always more interesting!

Old 04-26-2018, 01:50 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,631,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
What does a ((((gasp)))) HOMOSEXUAL look like? and what's wrong with looking like one?

What about women over the age of 25? Do you get to decide what is "appropriate" for us? When was the last time you got laid?
Good Post!

Old 04-27-2018, 12:38 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,638,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
"If you dress older when you are not, as you really age you look the same". - quote attributed to Andy Warhol by Reed/Cale in Faces and Names
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty