Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 PM

505 posts, read 499,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
What does a ((((gasp)))) HOMOSEXUAL look like? and what's wrong with looking like one?

What about women over the age of 25? Do you get to decide what is "appropriate" for us? When was the last time you got laid?
Judging from his parameters, we generally dress better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 AM

1,517 posts, read 981,116 times
Quote:
And B) Wearing running shoes on a bike make you look like a total loser. They are horrible on bike pedals, they're far too soft for comfort for anything kind of speed or distance. Plus the pedals wear them out. Proper cycling shoes make way more sense.*

Hold it. "Proper" is a highly subjective term.

The Lance Armstrong wannabes of the world, the ones dorked out in the spandex and all that crap, will insist it's those stiff-ass things with the metal bits in the toes, that make your feet feel like they're stuck in two bench vises. Others "proper" riding shoes are Chucks/Flyers. Others it's skateboard boots. Still others (me) it's hiking, work, cowboy boots. Still others yet it's MX boots. (I do know this one guy who absolutely loves his Alpinestars and Sidis...)

Point is, what's "improper" in one's eyes can be regular procedure without a second thought in somebody else's.

Just saying.

Quote:
As far as the cycling shoes. Those days are long gone. I ride for my enjoyment , and don't need the aero helmet, spandex and cycling shoes.

Last edited by Ttark; 04-29-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-29-2018, 03:27 PM

1,299 posts, read 817,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Hold it. "Proper" is a highly subjective term.

The Lance Armstrong wannabes of the world, the ones dorked out in the spandex and all that crap, will insist it's those stiff-ass things with the metal bits in the toes, that make your feet feel like they're stuck in two bench vises. Others "proper" riding shoes are Chucks/Flyers. Others it's skateboard boots. Still others (me) it's hiking, work, cowboy boots. Still others yet it's MX boots. (I do know this one guy who absolutely loves his Alpinestars and Sidis...)

Point is, what's "improper" in one's eyes can be regular procedure without a second thought in somebody else's.

Just saying.
I was being silly. Using his own attitude against him, hence the *.

For what it’s worth, though, cycling shoes exist that look like all sorts of footwear - hiking shoes, skater shoes, even sandals. They just have stiffer soles than the regular versions. And you can install cleats, or use them on flat pedals. Riding any distance in soft soles shoes is hard on the shoes, and the feet.

But I really don’t care or even notice what other people ride in.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,906,558 times
There has definitely been a generational shift in the way men dress, and I think the OP here is reflecting the thinking of the older generation (and by that I mean people in my parents' generation, who are now in their 70s and 80s).

I remember when I was growing up in the late 1960s and 1970s, adults generally didn't wear jeans or sneakers. They were for kids, and people past their early 20s tended not to even own a pair of sneakers. I remember the men in the neighborhood out mowing their lawns on Saturday morning wearing black dress shoes, black socks and Bermuda shorts. It was a ridiculous look.

It seems it didn't become acceptable for adults to wear sneakers and jeans until around the late 1970s, and definitely by the 1980s. That change has stuck with the people who came of age during that era, and have continued to dress that way into their 50s and 60s.

When I moved into my current neighborhood 15 years ago, I was one of the youngest men in the neighborhood, and I noticed a definite generational difference between the (relatively) younger men like myself and the older men who had lived in the neighborhood for a long time. The older men shaved every day, and dressed more formally even just for hanging around. The men around my age shaved less often, and wore jeans, sneakers and other informal wear much more.

I think there are certain things that younger people wear that look stupid as guys get older, like band-related t-shirts, jeans that are all ripped and hanging down, etc. But there's nothing wrong with dressing informally and for comfort, IMO. I intend to continue to do so.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 18 days ago)

1,975 posts, read 3,310,191 times
No, i don't agree.

Where what you like and feel comfortable in.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:25 PM

10,305 posts, read 10,556,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
There has definitely been a generational shift in the way men dress, and I think the OP here is reflecting the thinking of the older generation (and by that I mean people in my parents' generation, who are now in their 70s and 80s).

I remember when I was growing up in the late 1960s and 1970s, adults generally didn't wear jeans or sneakers. They were for kids, and people past their early 20s tended not to even own a pair of sneakers. I remember the men in the neighborhood out mowing their lawns on Saturday morning wearing black dress shoes, black socks and Bermuda shorts. It was a ridiculous look.

It seems it didn't become acceptable for adults to wear sneakers and jeans until around the late 1970s, and definitely by the 1980s. That change has stuck with the people who came of age during that era, and have continued to dress that way into their 50s and 60s.

When I moved into my current neighborhood 15 years ago, I was one of the youngest men in the neighborhood, and I noticed a definite generational difference between the (relatively) younger men like myself and the older men who had lived in the neighborhood for a long time. The older men shaved every day, and dressed more formally even just for hanging around. The men around my age shaved less often, and wore jeans, sneakers and other informal wear much more.

I think there are certain things that younger people wear that look stupid as guys get older, like band-related t-shirts, jeans that are all ripped and hanging down, etc. But there's nothing wrong with dressing informally and for comfort, IMO. I intend to continue to do so.
I agree. My grandfather always wore a hat. I remember all the old men putting their hats on the window sill in the back of the church. I never say my father in any kind of athletic shoe. I think he once owned a pair of shorts.

One of the difference is most men stopped doing anything athletic in their 20s. A few guys played in softball leagues, but other than golf and bowling, exercise was something you stopped doing in high school. Now you have people running, biking, and joining athletic clubs. It is an entirely different lifestyle than what existed when I graduated from HS in 1973.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:27 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,906,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree. My grandfather always wore a hat. I remember all the old men putting their hats on the window sill in the back of the church. I never say my father in any kind of athletic shoe. I think he once owned a pair of shorts.

One of the difference is most men stopped doing anything athletic in their 20s. A few guys played in softball leagues, but other than golf and bowling, exercise was something you stopped doing in high school. Now you have people running, biking, and joining athletic clubs. It is an entirely different lifestyle than what existed when I graduated from HS in 1973.
That's definitely true. There were virtually no gyms back then, and I don't remember any of the adults in my family at the time doing anything to exercise other than what they did in their daily lives. Like sneakers, athletic pursuits were for kids, and the involvement of adults was limited mostly to fathers coaching teams, for the most part.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:51 PM

506 posts, read 506,368 times
Why should one dictate how and what others wear? How are they hurting you or others?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:26 AM

29,030 posts, read 14,379,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
No, i don't agree.

Where what you like and feel comfortable in.

Right... because seeing a guy in his late 60's dressed like Coakley in the movie in "hall pass" isn't cringe worthy...

http://coolspotters.com/files/photos...jpg?1388933284

Old 04-30-2018, 10:36 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,425,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

So a man in his '60s or '70s would look stupid in a Beatles T-shirt, for example, or another band from his youth? I wouldn't agree with that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty