Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times

Advertisements

My take on this......wear what you want. It is what is inside the clothes that makes you the person people love to be around. Don't judge people by their clothes, their hair, their tatoos or not, their piercings or not. You just might be missing out on knowing someone worth knowing because of who they are in their heart.

People from large cities that only dress in skirt/dresses/heels/ or suits and ties would totally look out of place in most of the country. We would call them hoity toity. I always laugh at the show where they give someone $5000 to replace their wardrobe. They hit the NY stores and maybe get 1 or 2 outfits they might actually wear when they get home and resume their regular life. If they really had to turn in all their clothes to get the new threads, I bet they have to go out and buy clothes to wear.

I am a retired teacher but work in a store as a part time employer selling jewelry here in Florida. Dress for the store is sort of more cruise casual. We wear blouses/knit tops, capris and slacks every day. Some days jeans and the company t-shirt if we get a truck and have to carry dirty boxes and may be down on the floor putting things awy etc. Had a woman dressed to the t on a 90 degree day come to the jewelry counter. She had the nerve to tell me I was under dressed for the job and should be ashamed at my age. I should be wearing a dress, jacket, hose and heels because that is what one wears in the stores where she worked. She had retired to Florida and has already moved back to NYC because she could not adapt to Florida atire. BTW I still wear t-shirts, shorts, swimsuits. I wear team wwear, beach wear, and t-shirts from places we vacation. I happen to look just fine in them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 05:05 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this OP at all, which is a dinosaur thread from 3.5 years ago anyway.

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashion-beauty/1477549-dress-like-man-not-boy.html[/url]

I wonder if this guy "Ron." was the same person as OP

Old 04-25-2017, 11:24 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
there is some truth and sense to this old sss thread. I have noticed big changes over the generations. In NYC anyway, gramps always wore a mens Hat, slacks and button down shirts. Dress shoes only, with galoshes for the rain/snow. no sneakers, shorts t shirts. always clean shaven, and hair always in check.

Pops and the uncles where similiar, but eventually giving in to blue jeans, polo shirts, and ball caps, in the 90's. Thanks to Chevy Chase and the kind for making casual clothes OK for men.

nowadays, working class men wear jeans/sweats/shorts in durable fabric, meant to last. sneakers or boots, with a real sole. polos or button down shirts for the occasions, but usually t shirts or sweat shirts for the daily grind. this group is in the late 30s to the early 50s. unless business demands it, we hate wearing a suit and tie.

It is the new crop of men, 21 to 35 years old, who like to wear high water slacks, close fitting , like womens trousers. Tight shirts, and suit jackets, with thin lapels, like a womens jacket. they groom their eye brows, and chisel their beards, and I swear , some wear make up for dramatic effect. depending on industry. the other half wear clothing that is borderline out of my aunts closet. big shirts, just above the knees, or stretchy tight pants, with friggin skippies, or slippers on.

people just dont want to stick to the standard, mature dress. to many roles to play. men should wear "proper fitting" clothes. As long as it is Clean, and Pressed. things that look out of place on a man baggy jeans, tight jeans, over sized shirts, giant logos, obnoxious sneakers,anything that is douche bag related. Yes , Dress your age, be presentable, show yourself some respect.

I go for classic styles. Polo "blake" sport shirt is classic, Levis 501 and Levi twills are classic, flat front slacks ,in navy blue, charcoal, khaki are classic, A navy Blue Blazer, Dbl Breasted is classic, black leather oxford and a nubuck chukka boot is classic. NB, Nike, Addidas have their classics in so many colors and fabrics, great color combo options. I can go on, but I try to keep my wardrobe in what I know and love, I make sure it fits right. After so many years, a man should knows what fits good. you cant dress like a 20 years old anymore.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
What about working out or working fast paced sneaker friendly jobs? Gimme a break. Also due to my feet it is far more comfortable to wear Toms and New Balance or Sketchers sneakers than anything else footwear wise.

Other wear wise, I do try to look nice. I rarely eat out or go to the stores in anything but jeans or shorts. Work I typically wear slacks with polos, flannels during winter or dressy t-shirts.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:08 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Surprised that this old-ass thread has been revived. There ARE way too many badly dressed guys around, I'll agree.

But badly dressed to me means dressing inappropriately for the occasion, and what's appropriate is a function of not just age, but the setting, occasion, the part of the country you're in, and what actually fits (I hate seeing anyone, men or women, in badly-fitting clothes.)

All that said, there are definitely grown men around who dress like they're still in college all the time. They should grow up. Wearing shoes to the office, ditching the hoodie and t-shirt, and finding a good dress shirt won't kill anybody. (Outdoor jobs or construction work or something like that is obviously different). And it never hurt a guy to look sharp even during his off-time. Being a bit stylish can go a long way in social situations.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:11 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
there is some truth and sense to this old sss thread. I have noticed big changes over the generations. In NYC anyway, gramps always wore a mens Hat, slacks and button down shirts. Dress shoes only, with galoshes for the rain/snow. no sneakers, shorts t shirts. always clean shaven, and hair always in check.

Pops and the uncles where similiar, but eventually giving in to blue jeans, polo shirts, and ball caps, in the 90's. Thanks to Chevy Chase and the kind for making casual clothes OK for men.

nowadays, working class men wear jeans/sweats/shorts in durable fabric, meant to last. sneakers or boots, with a real sole. polos or button down shirts for the occasions, but usually t shirts or sweat shirts for the daily grind. this group is in the late 30s to the early 50s. unless business demands it, we hate wearing a suit and tie.

It is the new crop of men, 21 to 35 years old, who like to wear high water slacks, close fitting , like womens trousers. Tight shirts, and suit jackets, with thin lapels, like a womens jacket. they groom their eye brows, and chisel their beards, and I swear , some wear make up for dramatic effect. depending on industry. the other half wear clothing that is borderline out of my aunts closet. big shirts, just above the knees, or stretchy tight pants, with friggin skippies, or slippers on.

people just dont want to stick to the standard, mature dress. to many roles to play. men should wear "proper fitting" clothes. As long as it is Clean, and Pressed. things that look out of place on a man baggy jeans, tight jeans, over sized shirts, giant logos, obnoxious sneakers,anything that is douche bag related. Yes , Dress your age, be presentable, show yourself some respect.

I go for classic styles. Polo "blake" sport shirt is classic, Levis 501 and Levi twills are classic, flat front slacks ,in navy blue, charcoal, khaki are classic, A navy Blue Blazer, Dbl Breasted is classic, black leather oxford and a nubuck chukka boot is classic. NB, Nike, Addidas have their classics in so many colors and fabrics, great color combo options. I can go on, but I try to keep my wardrobe in what I know and love, I make sure it fits right. After so many years, a man should knows what fits good. you cant dress like a 20 years old anymore.
I've got to say, for someone brow-beating the "immature" for their dress, your "classic" style seems pretty time-capsulized. Double breasted jackets are not particularly classic--they are more of a dated trend than anything (though I think there is a Mad Men-inspired resurgence afoot for this trend).

Navy, charcoal, and khaki are hardly the colors of classic style--they are merely the least common denominator of colors one can be certain will work in a business setting. The same is true of black oxfords. There is a much wider range of colors, patterns, and styles that are quite appropriate for men's wear. Derbies & monkstraps and (gasp) browns are still plenty conservative for shoes. Burgundy, tan, oxblood, eggplant, blue, and green are all perfectly acceptable shoe colors--not quite courtroom-ready, perhaps, but neither is a blazer & chinos.

Pants in brown tones, mid & light grey, mid blue, green, and many other colors are perfectly acceptable, and still conservative. And plenty of patterns remain professional but have some personality.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
My take on this......wear what you want. It is what is inside the clothes that makes you the person people love to be around. Don't judge people by their clothes, their hair, their tatoos or not, their piercings or not. You just might be missing out on knowing someone worth knowing because of who they are in their heart.

People from large cities that only dress in skirt/dresses/heels/ or suits and ties would totally look out of place in most of the country. We would call them hoity toity. I always laugh at the show where they give someone $5000 to replace their wardrobe. They hit the NY stores and maybe get 1 or 2 outfits they might actually wear when they get home and resume their regular life. If they really had to turn in all their clothes to get the new threads, I bet they have to go out and buy clothes to wear.

I am a retired teacher but work in a store as a part time employer selling jewelry here in Florida. Dress for the store is sort of more cruise casual. We wear blouses/knit tops, capris and slacks every day. Some days jeans and the company t-shirt if we get a truck and have to carry dirty boxes and may be down on the floor putting things awy etc. Had a woman dressed to the t on a 90 degree day come to the jewelry counter. She had the nerve to tell me I was under dressed for the job and should be ashamed at my age. I should be wearing a dress, jacket, hose and heels because that is what one wears in the stores where she worked. She had retired to Florida and has already moved back to NYC because she could not adapt to Florida atire. BTW I still wear t-shirts, shorts, swimsuits. I wear team wwear, beach wear, and t-shirts from places we vacation. I happen to look just fine in them too.
Hmm...... Quite a contradiction there. First you start out with the "do not judge anybody" line, then you procede to judge people who dress more formally than what you prefer. I have the impression you are not even aware of your own hypocrisy.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:16 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post

Anyone else agree?
It seems that there are always more and more things that men aren't supposed to wear, and it gets tiring. For instance, we've discussed the shorts issue to death. And where it was originally the case that we weren't supposed to wear sandals with socks, the new "rule" now seems to be we shouldn't wear sandals at all. At the root of this seems to be the premise that men's bodies are basically ugly, pretty much all over.

TBT it doesn't affect me much as I mostly wear what I want anyway, but that doesn't mean I don't find the general trend towards ever more restrictive norms quite disturbing.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:20 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And I have never even heard of "monks" or "derbies" as shoe types. That probably puts me on a whole new level of low brow.
Yes, do tell. I really want to know what monks are.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:01 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
Doesn't the OP know: “The Shoe Ain't Nothin' Without Your BK Button” ?

Last edited by RP2C; 05-06-2017 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty