Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
Dude, I am 48 and think it would look rediculous to wear loafers on my skate board, or when I am heading to the beach to go surfing, or hanging out with my kids outside. Vans will do just fine, or a pair of nikes. At the hospital I like to wear a pair of comfortable shoes as well. When I get home it is flip flops, Vans, Nikes or similar. Now when I take my wife out I will put on some dress shoes but I am not into shoe brands for dress shoes. Many times I will have some geans, dress shoes, and a button up long sleeve shirt when we go out. When it is cooler around here I will toss on my leather jacket with that. The majority of the time you will see me with a USC shirt on or a USC pull over with a hoodie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
It's because everyone's going back to school these days and they want to look/act the part. I saw it 10 years ago in college (28-30 year olds with "band" shirts living in dorms and using "like" way too often), and I see it now. Okay ignore the OP, it's judgmental and all, but I understand your woe. I'd understand it even more if you were a woman because it just goes to show how the pool of decent, available men has declined in quality. This look represents an entire demographic now and it's really pretty sad.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Don't forget, you need to make sure you're wearing socks with your sandals and your jeans shorts, to complete the old-man look. Anything less and someone might mistake you for a teenager!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM View Post
Man please. A cupla years back I saw a 70+ year old white dude walking into B&N in Mnhtn wearing a faded 2Pac t-shirt. I remember thinking this guy looks sick! (in a good way). About a half hour later I doubled back into the store and I saw everyone hailing him up and random people asking to take pics with him.
Half the peeps here had no clue what you were saying when you said he looked sick. LOL

Old 10-24-2013, 01:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Horrible horrible look.
Maybe on you, but I look damned fine.

While I don't take my fashion looks from designers, I would point out that my fellow wearer of jeans and jacket include designers like Michael Kors so frankly I'm in pretty damned good company.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cA0boqgiFC...chael-kors.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CGIQ9QEwCQ

Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
To the OP, I'm Sixty and I'll wear my Chucks today just like I did when I was six or sixteen. I have a pair of black and a pair of brown leather Chucks that I will wear with a sport coat and jeans and look as clean as the board of health. So keep your ageist fashionista crap to yourself.

I hope I make it to 60. If I do, my chucks will be right there with me.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I actually agree with OP to an extent. Nothing is more off putting to me than seeing grown man wearing certain types of clothing. You are an adult. Dress like it.
Look, those of us in our 60's and 70's invented the jeans, sneaker and t-shirt look and while I don't recommend wearing the lasted supper baggy (I wear loose fit because I have athletic thighs) jeans or those that when they are new look like they have never been washed, it's our freaking look.

Back in the 30's, men wore suits everywhere day but there children started wearing slacks and cardigan sweater, one could legitimately argue that 70+ and 80+ year olds are dressing like the should be on a tennis court or golf course... in other words, dress like adults - dinner jackets and tuxedoes when they show up for dinner at the assisted living dinning room. But they don't.

We, us old boomers are still the Rock and Roll generation and we aren't trading it in for the senior citizens home anytime soon. So get over yourselves.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 PM

586 posts, read 830,641 times
Quote:
While I don't take my fashion looks from designers, I would point out that my fellow wearer of jeans and jacket include designers like Michael Kors so frankly I'm in pretty damned good company.
May we try....
Quote:
While I don't take my fashion looks from designers, I would point out that my fellow wearers of jeans and jacket include Michael Kors and Jeremy Clarkson so frankly I'm in pretty damned good company.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
The only thing that I think we could agree on is that you have a narrow minded view of what you think people should wear.

Those shoes you describe are for like 50 yr old men, that's ok, ill stick to my air force 1s

Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Damn. I didn't realize how low brow and immature I was. Thanks for letting me know.

I must be too. I'm 38 and I own several hoodies. I also wear a lot of sweats too. I used to own several more. I still kind of dress cool. Of course, that's just my opinion. I can't see myself looking "old" already. Especially since I don't really look or feel like it. Save the "boring" wear for work. No button down shirts for me-thanks. A simple t-shirt and jeans. If I happen to wear sneakers of any sorts, no matter what they look like, they will be "my" own style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty