U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,891,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Have you been to college. Many students, guys and girls just slip on what they have and run to class. If you need over 30 minutes to dress up for everyday activities, something is wrong. Even for formal occasions, it should take no more than 30 minutes to put on something elegant, do touch ups, and beautification of hair.

I am a guy and spend 7 minutes on average every day dressing up, choosing the right cologne, and styling my hair. Women may have a longer beautification procedure, but 10 minutes should be enough time for women to choose a nice looking casual outfit, put it on, do basic hair beautification, and spray on some scent.
How long have you been a woman?

If I do my hair, makeup, pick out an outfit and get dressed it takes me between 30 minutes and an hour and a half depending on if I take a shower or need to straighten/'beautify' my hair. Now if I'm just going to the gym, yeah, 10 minutes is fine. For work, I don't wear makeup and usually don't do much with my hair so it's about 20 minutes.

I seriously think you underestimate how much time it takes to look 'ready'.

As for the OP, women are judged nearly entirely on their appearance and men aren't. That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,822,404 times
I thought it was because women are more interested in fashion. They like it, they enjoy it. It's like a hobby for most of them. They love shopping, they love labels, colors, fabric, the looks. Men don't care, they want comfort and function, mostly. Some men of course have their stylish looks or their time and place for it, but women tend to go for style way more, they just like it. They like getting dressed up more, it's fun for them, etc. I have heard people say "women dress for other women" but I just always thought most women found it fun to "get dressed up"; it was something they enjoyed and it made them feel good, pretty, etc.

And I do agree, women are more judged on their appearance. Women are expected to look put together, made up, flawless skin and hair, things like that.

I wish I could find the article again, but I have read that stores place clothing, racks, and they have the sizing they do because women and men have the tolerance they do - women like fashion more and will shop more, so women's sizing and racks are more complicated and designed to keep them in the store longer because they will... men, not so much. Men's are designed for them to get in and out, find their items and sizes quicker because men will not mull around, shop, and search for their items. If men have to look around and search and try on, they will not put up with it, they'll leave. So stores are designed where they can get the items and sizes easily and leave. Women's not so much, because stores know women will stay and shop and look longer, as women tend to enjoy shopping and trying on, so they are laid out to keep women in the store, looking around longer, etc. Some stores anyway, maybe not all of them.

That's why I would think women generally dressed better - because women were just always more "into fashion" and clothes, than men.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,333,176 times
Womens' appearance is held to a much higher standard than mens' appearance. And yes, because of this, they care more.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM

9,018 posts, read 14,295,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Generally speaking, when you walk around, women dress better + prepare more before going out. I've seen guys who wear really dirty clothes, etc. All of the people who smelled like crap in public were guys.

I know tons of guys that spend maybe 5-10 minutes before getting ready for work and alot of girls I know say they spend at least 30 minutes to upwards of 2 hours.

Sometimes, when I'm late, I just get up and go to work. No brushing teeth, no showering, nothing. I just say to myself, oh well. I'll dress better another day when I have time.

Why is that?
This type of behavior and attitude sounds like pure laziness, or horribly time management and not a social/gender difference to me.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM

347 posts, read 401,153 times
Not much you can do with pants and shirt and a jacket. I guess you can go tight clothing if you got the body for a male. But females can do all sorts of stuff, lucky...

Old 11-15-2013, 03:54 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,997,668 times
no brushing teeth????

Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM

73,250 posts, read 64,807,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As for the OP, women are judged nearly entirely on their appearance and men aren't. That's why.
Women also tend to go out, even if to run errands, thinking that they may meet someone new, so they want to look attractive at all times. Men apparently don't do this, unless they're going out "on the town", as opposed to out for errands.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 PM

862 posts, read 1,112,540 times
In plain English, what's comfortable doesn't always look good.

It's how some men shop for clothes too. If fits, looks half-decent and doesn't cost too much, woo hoo, good to go!

Women on the other hand have a higher threshold of pain and less tolerance for shame. A lot need to dress to a least the 7s, maybe the 8s, just to run an errand or two. Some women will make sure that the polish on their fingers and toes isn't chipped to go grab a bottle of wine.

Guys will get off the crapper, wipe their a$$es necessary, check the fridge to see how many beers are left, grab the keys and go grab another case. Booger and eye snot checks are in the rear view or side view mirrors unless you didn't use the bathroom mirror.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:00 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,594,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
How long have you been a woman?

If I do my hair, makeup, pick out an outfit and get dressed it takes me between 30 minutes and an hour and a half depending on if I take a shower or need to straighten/'beautify' my hair. Now if I'm just going to the gym, yeah, 10 minutes is fine. For work, I don't wear makeup and usually don't do much with my hair so it's about 20 minutes.

I seriously think you underestimate how much time it takes to look 'ready'.

If shower time is included, Increase my readiness time to 45 minutes. I spend a lot of time in the shower thinking about solutions to my engineering problems and Fail to realize that time flies.

And a man's appearance is just as important for career fairs, important meetings, and interviews. If that's what you mean by getting "dressed and ready", then yes, it would take me around 25 minutes.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:42 PM

4,791 posts, read 12,935,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
Not much you can do with pants and shirt and a jacket. I guess you can go tight clothing if you got the body for a male. But females can do all sorts of stuff, lucky...
++ This! Mens clothes are so simple and stay the same, whereas women have an incredible selection of clothes to look beautiful in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or