U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,538,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yep, and advertising etc reflects this. Plus women have more to choose from, whereas for men the range is rather limited. Women grow up playing with barbie dolls and what not, so as the above poster said it's fun for them. Boys grow up playing with toy cars or whatnot so when they grow up they play with real cars. Of course that's stereotypical there are girls who love cars and guys who love getting dressed up. Plus in other countries men care more about fashion.
I like doing both.

I also love girls who do both (Few, but they do exist). Nothing is more invigorating than a sweet gal in a bathing suit stepping out of her customized Lamborghini . Unlikely this happens outside Hollywood movies though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 11:17 PM

18 posts, read 17,837 times
Some of us men do dress very nice and fashionable. I take care of myself and am a slim male. Unfortunately, I can no longer buy clothing from American brands, because most of it is cut so big it looks like a Hefty bag. That means I usually go for European brands because I can wear them off the rack without tailoring. Think Diesel, Zara, Prada etc. All cut their clothes very slim.

The problem and the annoyance with dressing nice and fashionable (usually ahead of the curve in the US), as a straight male, is I am constantly being asked if I am gay by females. I am single and live within 80 miles of NYC. Yet at the bar, or wherever, when I flirt with females it always comes up. I thought you were gay because you were dressed so nice. Or, I was going to come talk to you, but I thought you were gay because you are put together. And a million other variations on the same theme.

I don't have a problem or anything like that with gay folks. I don't take it as an insult. Don't get me wrong. It has just become a bit silly. Just because a male is fashionable he is automatically assumed gay?

Oh well just silly people I guess. I am not changing my style. Just gets old after awhile...

Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 PM

2,385 posts, read 5,576,320 times
I think it is mostly now and the hip hop trend just made it worse.
In the 40's men were more neat and vain. They dressed up more ( suits and well polished shoes ). Now, it's like they don't care any more.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,357,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2600 View Post
Some of us men do dress very nice and fashionable. I take care of myself and am a slim male. Unfortunately, I can no longer buy clothing from American brands, because most of it is cut so big it looks like a Hefty bag. That means I usually go for European brands because I can wear them off the rack without tailoring. Think Diesel, Zara, Prada etc. All cut their clothes very slim.

The problem and the annoyance with dressing nice and fashionable (usually ahead of the curve in the US), as a straight male, is I am constantly being asked if I am gay by females. I am single and live within 80 miles of NYC. Yet at the bar, or wherever, when I flirt with females it always comes up. I thought you were gay because you were dressed so nice. Or, I was going to come talk to you, but I thought you were gay because you are put together. And a million other variations on the same theme.

I don't have a problem or anything like that with gay folks. I don't take it as an insult. Don't get me wrong. It has just become a bit silly. Just because a male is fashionable he is automatically assumed gay?

Oh well just silly people I guess. I am not changing my style. Just gets old after awhile...
Almost sounds like an excuse to show their disinterest. But it shows how people are shallow, judgemental and simple-minded.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,357,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think it is mostly now and the hip hop trend just made it worse.
In the 40's men were more neat and vain. They dressed up more ( suits and well polished shoes ). Now, it's like they don't care any more.
Or they actually make an effort to look sloppy. God help us when there are people who deliberately wear 'low slung' pants. Pre-ripped jeans are bad enough...

Old 11-25-2013, 04:35 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,960,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Generally speaking, when you walk around, women dress better + prepare more before going out. I've seen guys who wear really dirty clothes, etc. All of the people who smelled like crap in public were guys.

I know tons of guys that spend maybe 5-10 minutes before getting ready for work and alot of girls I know say they spend at least 30 minutes to upwards of 2 hours.
What kind of people do you hang around? I think guys look a lot better in general than women. A much larger percentage of women, than men I think are overweight, and many wear clothes that look like something a blue collar guy would wear. Look at all the women who wear sweats when they're out and about. Notice how rare it is for a women to even wear a dress.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 AM

39 posts, read 85,820 times
Honestly speaking that I take max 1 hours to get ready whether I am going to work, for a date or for hang out with friends. I take a lot of time because I want to look better and attractive.
I don't know why guy's do this. I can only say that they could be lazy or don't want to spend much of amount etc.
It is really a very confused question and can't say anything more about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or