Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
If shower time is included, Increase my readiness time to 45 minutes. I spend a lot of time in the shower thinking about solutions to my engineering problems and Fail to realize that time flies.

And a man's appearance is just as important for career fairs, important meetings, and interviews. If that's what you mean by getting "dressed and ready", then yes, it would take me around 25 minutes.
Yes, but men have it wayyyyy easier when it comes to appearances. I mean, if I had super short hair, didn't have to wear any makeup at all and just had to shave and put on a suit I could easily be ready (shower included) in less than 20 minutes. Even for an interview. My bf has had multiple interviews where it took him 10 minutes to get ready and he looked super snazzy. There is no way in hell I could do the same, and I'm super low maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, but men have it wayyyyy easier when it comes to appearances. I mean, if I had super short hair, didn't have to wear any makeup at all and just had to shave and put on a suit I could easily be ready (shower included) in less than 20 minutes. Even for an interview. My bf has had multiple interviews where it took him 10 minutes to get ready and he looked super snazzy. There is no way in hell I could do the same, and I'm super low maintenance.
Agree with that. Maybe its due to the fact that men's clothes are typically geared towards utility while women's clothes are usually geared towards beauty and looks . Looking at the variety of women's clothing, I don't understand the purpose half of them serve.

Guys usually need 14 basic types of clothes and 2 rarely used but necessary items.
  1. T shirts (Long sleeve, short sleeve, Sleeveless as undershirts)
  2. Polos (Long sleeve, Short sleeve)
  3. Button up shirts (Long sleeve, Short sleeve)
  4. Blazers & suits
  5. Sweaters
  6. Hoodies
  7. Winter Jackets (Rarely used)
  8. Trench coats (Rarely used)
  9. Dress pants
  10. Jeans
  11. Khaki shorts
  12. Pajama pants
  13. Plaid shorts
  14. Rain Jacket
  15. Dri-fit Fleece
  16. Basketball shorts
I am pretty sure this is a very small list compared to women's clothes.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
I don't know, but I will say that women notice grooming or the lack of it. You don't have to have a certain look or spend a lot of money, but a man who looks unkempt is going to have trouble getting a date. Dirty and uncombed just is a complete turn off for me. I also believe men would turn away from a woman who was dirty looking. There is no excuse not to bathe, comb your hair, brush your teeth, and wear clean clothes.

Last edited by Georgianbelle; 11-19-2013 at 12:31 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Because some men don't realize how much more attractive it makes them to many women.A bit of effort is appreciated.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
I feel obligated to point out that where I live, 90% of women's wardrobes look like this:

Shoes
Flip flops
Uggs

Bottom
Yoga pants
leggings
jeans

PINK/VS brand sweatshirt
assorted tops

And while the list would imply it, it certainly isn't restricted to just the "college age" crowd....I'm talking 30-somethings here.

So while I'm sympathetic to the plight of women having to spend more time getting ready:

1) As others have mentioned, this is a burden that falls harder on women, just as having wealth is a burden that falls harder on men.

2) For all the claims that I hear about how much effort women put into fashion, I sure see a lot of flip flops and yoga pants. That's just as lazy as the proverbial "t shirt and jeans".

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 PM

324 posts, read 655,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I feel obligated to point out that where I live, 90% of women's wardrobes look like this:

Shoes
Flip flops
Uggs

Bottom
Yoga pants
leggings
jeans

PINK/VS brand sweatshirt
assorted tops

And while the list would imply it, it certainly isn't restricted to just the "college age" crowd....I'm talking 30-somethings here.

So while I'm sympathetic to the plight of women having to spend more time getting ready:

1) As others have mentioned, this is a burden that falls harder on women, just as having wealth is a burden that falls harder on men.

2) For all the claims that I hear about how much effort women put into fashion, I sure see a lot of flip flops and yoga pants. That's just as lazy as the proverbial "t shirt and jeans".
Thats pretty much the same list where I live as well. Yoga pants and running shoes here. Women don't do much with themselves anymore.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
women have way more clothes, shoes, cosmetics then almost every man. of course they will be well groomed compared to most men. then again, most guys dont sit around asking each if they like this dress better than that one, or this lipstick over that one...its not really a comparison.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
women are harder on women.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:23 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Perhaps this society and this era values female beauty/appearance more.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:29 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Womens' appearance is held to a much higher standard than mens' appearance. And yes, because of this, they care more.
Yep, and advertising etc reflects this. Plus women have more to choose from, whereas for men the range is rather limited. Women grow up playing with barbie dolls and what not, so as the above poster said it's fun for them. Boys grow up playing with toy cars or whatnot so when they grow up they play with real cars. Of course that's stereotypical there are girls who love cars and guys who love getting dressed up. Plus in other countries men care more about fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty