U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 PM

34,575 posts, read 42,741,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I think that would depend on where she wore it.....OK at a nightclub.....if the rest of her body was in decent shape. {no basketball gut above those great legs}

I think 3, 4, even 5 inches above the knee is fine for an older woman with great legs just about anywhere......two inches below her butt {mini skirt}......not so much.
My point is, I think you would be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM

14,315 posts, read 12,577,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My point is, I think you would be wrong.
My point was....there is a big difference between a skirt a couple of inches above the knee and a MINI skirt.

Just because a woman hits the magic number of 50 does not mean she is relegated to skirts that sit at the knee or below.

Thankfully, those days are long gone.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:21 PM

18,870 posts, read 12,490,390 times
I suppose that if there are rules for older women on how to dress, we should write them ourselves, individually.

On the plain, long, no style gray hair, I think women who wear their hair this way are not spending money for a salon cut, perhaps because they can't afford to. If that is the case, I think we should cut them a little slack. But yes, wash your hair every 3 or 4 days pleas, and comb it!

I basically just try to accentuate the positive with how I dress. But I agree that I don't want to have someone else decide for me what is appropriate. Ever worked some place with a strict dress code? If so I imagine you didn't like it; nor did I.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,392,310 times
Quote:

I am 60 and I have long hair, below my shoulders, brown with a few grays sprinkled in.

Once every 6, 8, 10 months I go for a quick trim, as needed.....I can blow dry it out in less than 10 minutes.

No way in hell do I want to go short or dye my hair......don't need all of the added upkeep involved.

Short/dyed hair requires frequent trips to the salon.....usually once every 6 weeks.

Most short hair styles require time consuming curling and shaping to look right.....instead of a quick blow out.

In the morning, a quick brushing and I am ready to go, don't have to deal with taming "bed head" hair.....flattened out on one side, sticking out every which way on the other.

Since I retired the long, polished nails are gone and I rarely bother with full make up {doing my eyes} either.

It's all good as far as I am concerned.
THIS^...ALL of this!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 AM

40,973 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Quote:

I am 60 and I have long hair, below my shoulders, brown with a few grays sprinkled in.

Once every 6, 8, 10 months I go for a quick trim, as needed.....I can blow dry it out in less than 10 minutes.

No way in hell do I want to go short or dye my hair......don't need all of the added upkeep involved.

Short/dyed hair requires frequent trips to the salon.....usually once every 6 weeks.

Most short hair styles require time consuming curling and shaping to look right.....instead of a quick blow out.

In the morning, a quick brushing and I am ready to go, don't have to deal with taming "bed head" hair.....flattened out on one side, sticking out every which way on the other.

Since I retired the long, polished nails are gone and I rarely bother with full make up {doing my eyes} either.

It's all good as far as I am concerned.
Wow, I love having short hair and it's so easy to keep up and style. I wash my hair about once very four or five days, and it takes about three minutes to blow dry it and about another three minutes to touch it up with a flat iron if I want to spike it up some. Then each morning I spend, maybe...oh, 30 seconds on it...if that.

If I let it go to a natural color, it would be solid white on top and salt and pepper on the bottom. At 51, I'm not ready for that look. I'd rather wait till it's all completely white (that's how it goes in my family) and then cut it REALLY short and spiky! So till then, I color it myself, which is a breeze - takes me about 45 minutes total. Once a month. I also get it cut once a month. This takes about 30 minutes. So...my hair maintenance comes to one and a half hours a month...not too onerous. And well worth it due to the time I save each morning (not to mention the compliments I get on the style).

I had long hair for decades. Believe me, this is a LOT lower maintenance and a lot more fun. I love looking sassy and having the option to really spike it up and walk on the wild side a little.

As for makeup, I don't need heavy makeup. My regime consists of BB cream, a little powder in the T zone, a light touch of cream blush on my cheekbones, smudgy coal shadow used as a smoky eyeliner, mascara, and lipgloss (lipstick if I'm going out).

My total "get dressed and out the door" time consists of a half hour - and that includes a luxurious hot bath. I got this, baby!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 AM

2,638 posts, read 2,117,164 times
I don't know why I cannot quote the pictures of old Asian women in #53, but it illustrates what I once read in a blog post. That older Asian women are expected to cut their hair in the same short, unflattering style. So that would be a "rule" for them. The only exception I can think of is Vera Wang, who seems to have been faking her age for decades.

As neither old nor a woman, my only rule for "older ladies" would be to not have a young woman's style. It looks horrible on Madonna. Even Helen Mirren with the age-defying body makes it clear from head to toe that she's an older woman. It's awkward for everyone if - say, from behind or across a room - an older woman is mistaken for a young woman.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
My lil' gal is two years older than I. She is 51, just turned. I have never seen her wear anytbing she didn't look good in, and, generally, her manner of dress is pretty simplistic. More for function than form. She is tiny. Right at 5'1 and 100# fully dressed. She looks like an elven princess. She literally glows. But, she usually can be found in jeans, and a pullover, of some kind. She doesn't even own a dress, or even a pair if shorts. Refuses to wear them.

She is the kind of lady that doesn't realize how truly beautiful she is, and actually hides herself a bit, being self conscious. I could deal with her in a little black dress, she could rock it steady. Lol, and then some. But, she follows her own guidlines, and I would love her if she wore feed sacks and lead rope belts.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:02 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,815,704 times
Plumber, she found a good man! You rock!

Old 11-09-2013, 12:38 AM

14,315 posts, read 12,577,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I don't know why I cannot quote the pictures of old Asian women in #53, but it illustrates what I once read in a blog post. That older Asian women are expected to cut their hair in the same short, unflattering style. So that would be a "rule" for them. The only exception I can think of is Vera Wang, who seems to have been faking her age for decades.

As neither old nor a woman, my only rule for "older ladies" would be to not have a young woman's style. It looks horrible on Madonna. Even Helen Mirren with the age-defying body makes it clear from head to toe that she's an older woman. It's awkward for everyone if - say, from behind or across a room - an older woman is mistaken for a young woman.
I don't think that's awkward.....it think it's wonderful.

Once in awhile my mother would get an appreciative honk from a young man driving down the road when she was walking back from the mailbox.

Youthful fitting jeans and a form fitting tee shirt type top.....on a 64 year old woman with the figure of a teenager.....it would always make her day!

Should she have been relegated to baggy "Mom" jeans and baggy tops just because someone might mistake her for a much younger woman from a distance? Hell NO!

Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 AM

84 posts, read 86,545 times
One should live his life on his own principles. Nobody can force him to do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or