U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:08 AM

13,113 posts, read 17,652,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Rules?? No way. I am waay old (nearly 72) and still wear my jeans and shirts. I go for comfort , not by some silly rules about what an older lady should wear. Almost all my blouses and shirts are pastels or bold colors. And my winter coat is a fleece jacket. My dressy clothes are long skirts with pretty blouses of various fabrics, dependng on the dressy occasion. My hair is nearly shoulder length and almost all gray and I blow dry and scrunch it. I still wear makeup just less.

Around home in the winter I am in sweats. Love them because they are so warm and comfy. And I have been seen in the grocery store and (shame, shame on me ) even in walmart with my sweats and running shoes. Come to think about it, this has always been me except for the couple years I wore an Army Uniform
Kudos to you miss blue and God bless you ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:19 AM

13,113 posts, read 17,652,758 times
I have a rock hard body at 52 and I like my body finally after my mother did everything she could to destroy my self esteem at a young age . My aunt who is three years older than my mother looks wonderful my aunt is 73 and she is a wonderful person . She always tells me how fabulous I look and even with my grey ....I dont look my age and everyone I meet tells me so . Im okay with wearing whatever I want except for midriff shirts that is not my style and never has been . But if I want to wear a bikini to the beach I will ,damn , rules and standards .

Old 10-26-2013, 05:25 AM

706 posts, read 912,576 times
It seriously makes me happy that so many women are deciding to give "society" and their silly rules for how they are "supposed to be" the proverbial "finger".

You ladies are awesome!!

Old 10-26-2013, 05:38 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,815,704 times
Two years ago I cut my mid thigh length strawberry blonde natural hair to just above my tailbone. I am a tad more pulled together and the hippie dippie let it grow forever thing wasn't working for me. Mostly worn in a high cheerleader ponytail or braid. People stop me all the time with compliments.

DH still doesn't know I cut it.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,813,267 times
People can take their rules and shove them for all I care. Some stranger thinks they can apply a rule to me because of a number assigned to me based on how many trips around the sun I've taken? *********! Unless you are paying my bills, you have no say in my life buddy. Buh bye!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 AM

27,266 posts, read 15,048,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Depending on the hair texture and face shape, I love long or longish silver hair.

Look at these: Gorgeous gray hair

I don't see how it's incongruous. What doesn't match is an old woman who dyes her long hair. If you see her from the back, you might think she's much younger ... until she turns around and you get a shock.

At least from the back, long silver hair doesn't look like you're trying to fool people. Plus if you like looking feminine regardless of age, longer hair helps.
I love gorgeous gray hair; especially Emmylou Harris! But I suspect she has some well-placed coloring in there as well.

Does anyone remember 'frosted' hair? Heck, years ago we paid big dollars for that silvery shade.

My hair is blonde now and I look good in pink and I sure as hell am going to wear it.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:22 PM

169 posts, read 152,038 times
i am 65 have naturally white hair, i was blessed that when it turned, it turned all at once; i look great in bright colors and will continue to wear them until. the beauty of getting older is "fu** 'em if they can't take a joke" and i will wear what i want to wear when i want to wear it.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:40 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,867,686 times
I think there is an awful lot of showing of the finger here is that is really unwarranted and misunderstood.

I, for one, old hippie that I am, do not think anyone should be a slave to fashion. My point is that a woman that dresses too young for their age, and we have all seen them, just sets herself up for ridicule because it just doesn't look right somehow. That doesn't mean they have to dress in black and wear clumpy shoes. Up until I was 50, indulging my shoe fetish was having 30pairs of high heels in every color and style, pumps, sling backs, open toes....I have great legs and nice looking feet and toes. Now at 70, considerably heavier, my legs are still great, my toes straight and nails are healthy and pink but I go for comfort and a little more conservative styles, mostly Easy Spirit clogs (all colors) for casual wear and I would not wear a skirt above my knees anymore. I still wear fitted jeans and nice shirts.

As far as the gray hair, I love it ! Emmy Lou Harrises is great . For years it was dry and fly away but a stylist must have taken her in hand because her hair is still gray but, the color is much better and the styling. My "jarring" note about gray hair is the long, long gray hair worn as a young girl would wear it. I love shoulder length gray hair. My best friend has shoulder length gray hair and I don't like her style for her face but I love her. it is nice just not what I think is the most becoming to her facial structure. As the wife of an executive in a large bank, she would have a hard time pulling off long gray hair, hanging down her back.

My children have always considered that their mother marched to the sound of her own drummer and that is true. So, I have and do wear unconventional clothing at times but, I always try and be in good taste.

No offense meant, just talking and voicing opinions.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM

169 posts, read 152,038 times
good for you annie a! a woman after my own heart!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:54 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,368,755 times
I only have one rule now I'm past 40.

Grow old disgracefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or