Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times

Advertisements

Of all the goofy-looking garbs I see at Walmart, it's the nasty dishwater gray long hair I don't want to see. It can't be clean and clump together in those long strands hanging loose. Sometimes, others are treating to a double dose by a mother/daughter combo. Not a pretty sight.

Even if your long long hair is pretty, consider wearing it UP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Sing it sister!

I'm also 55 and stopped coloring my hair last year...it is shoulder-length and silver and I swear I get more compliments on it now than I ever did when younger.

I also occasionally wear headbands, skinny jeans, pink and short (ish) skirts sometimes. I'm in great skinny shape and really don't care one angstrom whether a: it's "in style" or b: whether random people from city-data or anywhere else think I am following someone else's (whose rules would that be, again?) "rules."

Obviously I'm not going to wear teen-type clothing, see-through anything, tight little juniors tops or anything, ever, with words printed across my rear end. But the bottom (LOL) line is: if I feel good wearing it, I will. My opinion is the only one that matters to me. I don't get the compulsion for approval from the random public as to what I wear? That's just so weird.

And for the record, if a larger or older woman wants to wear pink or form-fitting clothing or spandex, so what? Why the pearl-clutching and vapors and hostility over what someone else wears? That is also extremely weird, IMHO. It's clothing. That's it; just material that covers the naughty bits. Talk about obsessing over first world problems.
Hey! No obsessing here. People wear whatever they want to wear and if I want to comment, I will. That's all it is........making posts on C-D. Not sending out releases to the daily paper. Oops! I just remembered the overweight woman I saw today in leotards and a mid-riff knit top.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:08 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
One thing that I know for sure is that, as an older woman, I must guard against wearing things because they feel good (the Walmart syndrome), instead of because they look good.
Ideally, they should not just be comfortable, but also look nice.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Rules?? No way. I am waay old (nearly 72) and still wear my jeans and shirts. I go for comfort , not by some silly rules about what an older lady should wear. Almost all my blouses and shirts are pastels or bold colors. And my winter coat is a fleece jacket. My dressy clothes are long skirts with pretty blouses of various fabrics, dependng on the dressy occasion. My hair is nearly shoulder length and almost all gray and I blow dry and scrunch it. I still wear makeup just less.

Around home in the winter I am in sweats. Love them because they are so warm and comfy. And I have been seen in the grocery store and (shame, shame on me ) even in walmart with my sweats and running shoes. Come to think about it, this has always been me except for the couple years I wore an Army Uniform

Old 10-25-2013, 07:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What you say is logical, but if you really look at the next over 50 woman with good legs in a mini skirt, see if you really think it looks good, or slightly "off".
I think that would depend on where she wore it.....OK at a nightclub.....if the rest of her body was in decent shape. {no basketball gut above those great legs}

I think 3, 4, even 5 inches above the knee is fine for an older woman with great legs just about anywhere......two inches below her butt {mini skirt}......not so much.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:23 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,837 times
I don't know what your definition of "older ladies" is....but I'm 38 and I wear whatever I want to wear. If you're the type to follow fashion rules, there are a whole list of things older women aren't supposed to wear. Put in a search for age appropriate clothing for women and a bunch of fashion blogs will come up to tell you how you should wear your hair, makeup, how long your skirts/shorts should be, ad nauseum.

I say wear what you want as long as it flatters your body.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
I am an old lady. There are no rules. If there are, I choose to ignore them.

One of my favorite pair of casual slacks is hot pink. They're too long so I fold up the bottoms and away I go.

I practically live in sweats.

I'm small of stature and weigh just under 100. Not the "people of Wal-Mart" body.

About hair: I don't like longish hair on older women. Mine is exceptionally short, and just beginning to show strands of gray here and there.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I dress well for an old hag. But...there is another old hag, a bit older than me, and honestly, she dresses a bit too trashy. Come on, leather pants, tank top, thigh high boots at age 64? Just stop it. I gave that stuff to my daughter, she is 21.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Depending on the hair texture and face shape, I love long or longish silver hair.

Look at these: Gorgeous gray hair

I don't see how it's incongruous. What doesn't match is an old woman who dyes her long hair. If you see her from the back, you might think she's much younger ... until she turns around and you get a shock.

At least from the back, long silver hair doesn't look like you're trying to fool people. Plus if you like looking feminine regardless of age, longer hair helps.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 10-25-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,768 times
I'm 39 and have great legs. I'm showing them off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty