U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,949,333 times

Advertisements

OP, I was exactly the same way a few years ago, still a nerd though. And it didn't help that my career (IT) allows me to look like a bum on a daily basis LOL. So, you can try what I did. Find a fashion blogger that has a body shape that is similar to yours, that way you'll learn how to dress for your shape. Start getting ideas from their looks and it does not have to be exactly what they wear or as expensive. For example, I love Karla Deras' sense of style and get ideas from her all the time (KARLA'S CLOSET) However, there is no way that I'm wearing a crop top like she does. I actually could but they're just not my thing so I'll go for a form fitting tank top if I want a similar look to what she's wearing. And I agree with allenk893 100%. Confidence is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Agree with previous poster that you may benefit from the use of a personal shopper/stylist at one of the big dept. stores. Focus on these things:

1) Which colors best flatter you? It helps to think of Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer palettes (Google this). Hold up color swatches and see which are most flattering on you - even ask your friends/family.

2) Which clothing cuts best flatter your body type? It helps to think of your frame - hourglass, triangle, inverted triangle, large/small bust, large/small hip, etc..(Google this also). E.g. I tend to wear Fall colors because they complement my hair/eyes/complexion, I have small hips/larger bust and peplum helps to balance my figure.

3) What looks/style have you seen that you like? It can be from a magazine, TV show, etc.. and how can you replicate that style with your coloring and body type? This is where a good personal shopper can help you - bring photos of what you like to her/him.

4) Buy clothing of the best quality, materials, and fit that you can afford, and find a good seamstress who can tailor clothing perfectly for your body.

5) Spend money on quality shoes and handbags.

After awhile, you will get the hang of it....

Old 10-31-2013, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,874 times
I think there is beauty in everything. What normal people would perceive as ugly, I can usually see something of beauty in it. Simple and elegant dressing is the best.Check out some latest trends and dressing tips on Fashion so that even you can start looking like fashion diva.A picture photographed on British Supermodel Jayne Moore in Argentovivo Day had her dressed in a black attire that looked stunning.If you want to check out the latest picture of Jayne Moore, then Visit http://500px.com/photo/50533556

Last edited by clarkamanda996; 10-31-2013 at 12:51 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 AM

123 posts, read 125,076 times
When you get a new dress and go outside, if everyone said you are beautiful with your new dress. How could you react to fashion. I guess you will feel well. And will love fashion finally. So, just buy some beautiful dress for yourself.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,810,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I recommend watching a little QVC for inspiration. Most of the clothes there are mainstream, and a few of them are designed for younger women. But it is helpful to see what's out there for most of us, not the thin, thin, thin models. See how the QVC hosts and models are wearing, and try to see how you want to look. An interesting line to pay attention to would be Isaac Mizrahi's line there. It is priced reasonably and isn't too out there. You could be assured that anything you bought would be in style.

There are also some books about style. Browse a large bookstore whenever you can, and see if you can locate some titles you could use. Take your time, and find the one that can be your "bible" of style.

Find out about your coloring. A decent skin care place, like Ulta, has consultants to assist you. Tell them upfront that you want to start slow, and don't be bulldozed into buying too many expensive items, especially at first. I know many women do not wear makeup, but I can't be without it, myself. And you need a skin regimen, even a minimal one, to carry you through your adulthood. But when you learn about your personal coloring, warm or cool, you will know more about how to choose clothes.

None of us is perfect. All of us, I venture to say, have made fashion mistakes. But you can make yourself look better. All you need is a little knowledge. Get out there and surprise yourself!
Good advice. I would look to what women on TV shows you like to watch are dressing like. They have gotten your attention for a reason, and you LIKE them. Of course, if it's Houston Animal Cops it will be a bit limiting (joking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
start by watching some episodes of What Not to Wear for inspiration Look for episodes with the younger women, they've actually done a few with young gamer/nerdy girls and they came out looking fantastic. They really give good tips on how to dress your body and put things together that might help you start out.
THAT's what did it for me. THE best place to start.

OP, it sounds like you might be preppy. Do you have any favorite brands?

Old 11-01-2013, 04:03 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,211,255 times
Joan Watson character on Elementary TV show is dressed very well for a grown woman.Her outfits are very hip without looking too young. Great East coast style.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,587,648 times
Kakis and polos is pretty bad. Almost anyone can do better than that. And sweats? That one is easy - replace sweatpants with black athletic pants like Lucy, Athleta, Titlenine, or Lululemon sell. The spandex kind that are sort of boot leg at the bottom, not the skin-tight all the way down kind. Then get a nice track jacket or other athletic top to go with them, instead of a t-shirt. Or just do a nicer t-shirt. Right away it's an improvement over sweats and some kind of boxy T.

But you don't say what you do for work or what your body type is like. That's important. Are you overweight, average, thin, hourglass or pear shaped, busty or not, etc. I just stick with a few brands I like and buy whole outfits that look good to me, instead of mixing and matching, which is hard.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
I have the same problem. I like nice clothes and I think I've got quite good taste but somehow I just look - blah.

I've started really studying up on my body type, there are lots of tv shows that show you how to identify what shape you are and how to dress it.

I also look at fashion sites a lot and clip the "looks" I like, some women never miss a beat, Nicole Ritchie springs to mind as does Miranda Kerr and (hate to admit it) Gwyneth P.

A lot of times their best looks are very very basic neutral sensible sort of stuff like jeans and white shirts, and "made" by accessories.

I've also just figured out what season I am and that gives you the colours that work best for you.

Put together a capsule wardrobe for your particular lifestyle taking the above into consideration.

There's no point dressing in skirts and heels if you're a run the kids around type of girl.

Here's a sample capsule wardrobe for your Average Australian Woman

1 skirt
1 pair jeans
1 pair trackies
1 pair dress pants
1 blouse
1 light cardigan or wrap
1 t shirt
1 singlet
1 sarong
1 pair shorts
1 pair black courts
1 pair flip flops
1 pair ballet flats
1 pair dressy flat sandals

There's your cover-it-all basic Aussie wardrobe.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
This is great...!!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 PM

15 posts, read 24,591 times
The main thing to look for is quality of fabric(not necessarily brand name, but high quality) and that whatever you wear fits properly. With anything you wear, ask yourself: is the fabric nice or does it look cheap(too thin, rough, garish colours or designs). Are your clothes ironed(at the very least, not wrinkled), are they free of spots? And do they fit you properly?For example, are your pants baggy in the butt or too tight in the butt? Do you have camel toe? Are your pants too short or too long? Are your shirts too tight or too baggy? Do they show your belly because they are too small?

I know this sounds like information you might give a child, but it is really all you need to know. As long as you look "put together", you can wear anything. I agree with the above poster,everything that was said.

I find that the people most pleasing to the eye are those that look comfortable in their clothes. If you like your clothes and feel comfortable in them, so long as they are of nice quality, match and fit well, you will be considered stylish. I find also that wearing a nice little pair of flats(shoes) can really make an otherwise boring ensemble look cute. Nerdy-casual-chic is also considered attractive, so you can probably just enhance your look and still wear the t-shirts and all that. It's more about you feeling good and fresh in your clothes than anything, treating them as more than just body covering.

edit: I wanted to add that when you start getting a little better at choreographing your looks, making sure that your clothes "match" is not always necessary. I'm sure you've noticed people that do this well. There are ways to mismatch colors or clothing items artfully, but best to start out matching until you get more comfortable with your style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty