U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:44 PM

303 posts, read 486,522 times

Advertisements

..That is, I have no fashion sense at all.

I'm a 27 year old lady and a computer nerd. My clothing during the week consists of khakis and polo shirts, weekends are typically sweats and a t-shirt. Sneakers are the order of the day 7-days a week.

I've tried going into stores to pick out better things to wear but I have serious anxiety about it all, and am certain that none of it looks good on me at all. So I end up buying a t-shirt and going home.

How does one overcome this kind of fashion anxiety? Is there any hope for the fashionably stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM

4,237 posts, read 3,031,877 times
Go to a department store that has a personal shopping service, like Macy's, Nordstrom's, Lord & Taylor's, Bloomingdale's, Saks, Nieman Marcus, etc., and sign up for a personal shopper.

At your consultation with the personal shopper, you will discuss your lifestyle in order to find out what types of clothing might work best for you. You do not have to pay for this service. The personal shopper gets a commission from whatever you buy. You don't have to buy anything if you don't like the selections you are shown.

You can see the personal shopper whenever you want new clothes, like at the beginning of a season. You can also arrange for them to call you when they have a piece that you might like.

Personal shoppers are stylists who know how to put together great outfits. This will help develop your fashion sense.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:12 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,484,970 times
You're not fashionably stupid, just unsure

Do you have a pair of jeans? I'd start with that...

What sort of things do you want to wear, but haven't purchased because you thought that it didn't look good?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:53 PM

18,879 posts, read 12,490,390 times
I recommend watching a little QVC for inspiration. Most of the clothes there are mainstream, and a few of them are designed for younger women. But it is helpful to see what's out there for most of us, not the thin, thin, thin models. See how the QVC hosts and models are wearing, and try to see how you want to look. An interesting line to pay attention to would be Isaac Mizrahi's line there. It is priced reasonably and isn't too out there. You could be assured that anything you bought would be in style.

There are also some books about style. Browse a large bookstore whenever you can, and see if you can locate some titles you could use. Take your time, and find the one that can be your "bible" of style.

Find out about your coloring. A decent skin care place, like Ulta, has consultants to assist you. Tell them upfront that you want to start slow, and don't be bulldozed into buying too many expensive items, especially at first. I know many women do not wear makeup, but I can't be without it, myself. And you need a skin regimen, even a minimal one, to carry you through your adulthood. But when you learn about your personal coloring, warm or cool, you will know more about how to choose clothes.

None of us is perfect. All of us, I venture to say, have made fashion mistakes. But you can make yourself look better. All you need is a little knowledge. Get out there and surprise yourself!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,303,800 times
start by watching some episodes of What Not to Wear for inspiration Look for episodes with the younger women, they've actually done a few with young gamer/nerdy girls and they came out looking fantastic. They really give good tips on how to dress your body and put things together that might help you start out.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:47 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,303,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
You're not fashionably stupid, just unsure

Do you have a pair of jeans? I'd start with that...

What sort of things do you want to wear, but haven't purchased because you thought that it didn't look good?
Yes. Start with jeans. But the jeans have to fit great and make your butt look fantastic
Be prepared to try on many many pairs before you find one, especially if you have any 'problem areas' at all.
No 'mom jeans', nothing loose or baggy or looking like it can be worn by a man. Go for dark wash, medium rise, straight leg or slight bootcut, or skinny if you have the body for it.
Then, pair them with a white T-shirt. But NOT a big baggy t-shirt. Get a good-quality women's tee, preferably a V-neck, fitted but not skintight. For winter, look for a fitted knit top, or a solid-colored V-neck or turtleneck sweater, again in a nice natural fabric, fitted to the body and hitting just above the hip.

Then, add a gauzy scarf in a bright color or pattern, OR a pair of cute dangly earrings OR a chunky bracelet or two.

Next, shoes: a medium height heel, or a wedge, or a pretty ballet flat; you can do a nice boot with skinny jeans. Absolutely NO clogs or crocs or Birkenstocks or Tevas or cheap rubber flipflops or combat boots etc. No unisex footwear.

Top with a fitted jacket, you can do a knit blazer, or a longer flowy cardigan, just don't do one of those old-lady twinset-type cardigans. A good knee-length wool coat or trench coat for cooler weather.

Once you've got that down, you can look for variations: a well-fitting straight-leg wool pant in a neutral color; a pencil skirt; some blouses and button-down shirts in basic colors; a wrap dress or shirtdress. This type of trouser with a solid-color buttondown blouse tucked in is a perfect everyday work outfit.
Again, the key thing here is fit - everything has to fit, be the right size, flatter your body, nothing should be baggy or shapeless. Proportions have to be balanced - if you do a looser fit top, for example, you must pair it with a slimmer bottom. If you do a neutral color, add a pop of something bright, like a shoe or scarf or bag. Oh and speaking of bags, get a good quality leather purse, no backpacks or nylon messenger bags.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:29 AM

18,879 posts, read 12,490,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Yes. Start with jeans. But the jeans have to fit great and make your butt look fantastic
Be prepared to try on many many pairs before you find one, especially if you have any 'problem areas' at all.
No 'mom jeans', nothing loose or baggy or looking like it can be worn by a man. Go for dark wash, medium rise, straight leg or slight bootcut, or skinny if you have the body for it.
Then, pair them with a white T-shirt. But NOT a big baggy t-shirt. Get a good-quality women's tee, preferably a V-neck, fitted but not skintight. For winter, look for a fitted knit top, or a solid-colored V-neck or turtleneck sweater, again in a nice natural fabric, fitted to the body and hitting just above the hip.

Then, add a gauzy scarf in a bright color or pattern, OR a pair of cute dangly earrings OR a chunky bracelet or two.

Next, shoes: a medium height heel, or a wedge, or a pretty ballet flat; you can do a nice boot with skinny jeans. Absolutely NO clogs or crocs or Birkenstocks or Tevas or cheap rubber flipflops or combat boots etc. No unisex footwear.

Top with a fitted jacket, you can do a knit blazer, or a longer flowy cardigan, just don't do one of those old-lady twinset-type cardigans. A good knee-length wool coat or trench coat for cooler weather.

Once you've got that down, you can look for variations: a well-fitting straight-leg wool pant in a neutral color; a pencil skirt; some blouses and button-down shirts in basic colors; a wrap dress or shirtdress. This type of trouser with a solid-color buttondown blouse tucked in is a perfect everyday work outfit.
Again, the key thing here is fit - everything has to fit, be the right size, flatter your body, nothing should be baggy or shapeless. Proportions have to be balanced - if you do a looser fit top, for example, you must pair it with a slimmer bottom. If you do a neutral color, add a pop of something bright, like a shoe or scarf or bag. Oh and speaking of bags, get a good quality leather purse, no backpacks or nylon messenger bags.
EC is right on the money with her jeans recs.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:34 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,302,039 times
I dislike shopping and am not the best with fashion. Anyhow I do pre shopping online where I get ideas and then can go in the store with some ideas of what I am looking for that can make an outfit. Since you sound like you like simple fashion have you looked online at Banana Republic or Old Navy? This could give you some ideas. At first dressing in a different way may make you feel odd because it is new and just takes adjusting.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 PM

8,273 posts, read 10,521,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
start by watching some episodes of What Not to Wear for inspiration Look for episodes with the younger women, they've actually done a few with young gamer/nerdy girls and they came out looking fantastic. They really give good tips on how to dress your body and put things together that might help you start out.
Agree, plus they did a book:
Dress Your Best: The Complete Guide to Finding the Style That's Right for Your Body: Clinton Kelly, Stacy London: 9780307236715: Amazon.com: Books

Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 9,515,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMillersWife View Post
How does one overcome this kind of fashion anxiety? Is there any hope for the fashionably stupid?
It all starts with self-esteem. You need to start changing what you say and feel about yourself before you change your wardrobe. Love yourself and your flaws. Then improve. The first step to improving isn't your wardrobe, it's your head. Do something with your hair. Curl it, straighten it. Get it looking decent and clean. Then the face. Start wearing simple makeup. Now there's your wardrobe. As much as I hate when people dress in sweatpants and a t-shirt there are ways to make even those things have a taste of class and decorum. For starters, try wearing neutral colors. Then get some earrings and a bracelet. Get your nails done. Embrace your femininity. The wardrobe really is the last thing you need to be concerned about in your case. It's the simple things that make the growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty