Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:03 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times

Advertisements

The only people I've ever had comment on my weight is older, heavier women. And even then, its only been a few of them. I chalk it up to a mixture of envy and an attempt to give a compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I think sizes are changing to make people think they can fit smaller sizes and buy more. my opinion. Your size sounds right. I'm 5'9", pretty thin (about 140 at the moment) and can't squeeze into an 8 comfortably.

My weight sounds like a lot but I wear a 7-1/2 hat and a size 11 shoe so I'm not a small person. But I look slim. I'm just happy all my parts work!
While vanity sizing is a real occurances, that's not the only explanation for why two people of the same height and similar weight can wear drastically different sizes. A 5'9" woman who is 140 lbs but whose body is comprised of more fat than muscle (fat takes up more space in the body than lean muscle) most likely won't be able to wear the same size as a 5'9" woman who may weigh a bit more but whose body is comprised mostly of muscle and little fat.

Not being snarky, just stating a fact.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:12 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,930 times
How sad. Some serious first world problems here

Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
How sad. Some serious first world problems here

I think what's more sad is you took the time to read all the comments and replies in this thread. Could of used that time wisely and be out saving the world.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
This is a 1st world American problem as everyone is too celebrity conscious and worried about what so and so looks like in what movie/video/picture on the grocery tabloid. I can garner that much from merely reading these forums.

Why are eastern European women fit and trim rather than plump and roly poly? Most of it is diet and exercise. I don't mean what they impose upon themselves but how their society functions. The same can be said for Asia and ony other part of the world that hasn't been introduced to the poison Americans consider to be 'food'. Bring those same fit people to the states and put them on the typical American's diet and watch them blow up like the Stay Puft marshmallow man.

OP - are you happy in your skin and with your appearance? Do you want to lug around 30-40# of fat all the time because others think it looks good? Think of the women who are 4XXX and convinced their Mack truck sized derierre looks good in rap videos.

I found that women who think their buts to me too small were actually proportionate and those who thought it was just right were obese. Such is the brainwashing of the 1st world. Those who know its too big and do something about it are the smart ones.

Some men find a sofa sized a$$ attractive.

I like a woman who can walk a couple of miles.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This is a 1st world American problem as everyone is too celebrity conscious and worried about what so and so looks like in what movie/video/picture on the grocery tabloid. I can garner that much from merely reading these forums.

Why are eastern European women fit and trim rather than plump and roly poly? Most of it is diet and exercise. I don't mean what they impose upon themselves but how their society functions. The same can be said for Asia and ony other part of the world that hasn't been introduced to the poison Americans consider to be 'food'. Bring those same fit people to the states and put them on the typical American's diet and watch them blow up like the Stay Puft marshmallow man.

OP - are you happy in your skin and with your appearance? Do you want to lug around 30-40# of fat all the time because others think it looks good? Think of the women who are 4XXX and convinced their Mack truck sized derierre looks good in rap videos.

I found that women who think their buts to me too small were actually proportionate and those who thought it was just right were obese. Such is the brainwashing of the 1st world. Those who know its too big and do something about it are the smart ones.

Some men find a sofa sized a$$ attractive.

I like a woman who can walk a couple of miles.
You make a lot of generalities - too many. Not everyone eats the typical American diet. I don't and neither do my closest friends and neither do our husbands. We eat local organic produce and meat and dairy products (I don't eat meat but they do) and we make as much of our meals from scratch as we practically can. Some have gardens. We all exercise. I probably exercise the most - 5 to 6 miles 4 times a week climbing hills, light weights and a very active, vibrant lifestyle (I am 63). I am very satisfied with my skin, teeth, nails and overall health (other than my Celiac Disease) and I know this is because of the way I eat and my healthy lifestyle. I don't drink alcohol or eat sugar, no caffeine, no artificial sweeteners. Local organic farms are everywhere here and farm to table restaurants are also everywhere in our area - they are thriving and serve fabulous food.

You don't have to be European or Asian to be healthy, normal weight and strong.

Having a sofa size a$$ may be attractive to you but it is not healthy or attractive to most.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:48 PM

262 posts, read 546,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I heard a black lady in Memphis say "I was skinny once and everybody thought I was poor" LOL

Comments about personal appearance are rude. Ignore those and enjoy good health.
I've heard similar. Skinny woman: Possibly can't cook or afford food.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:49 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
This based on personal experiences and my own theory.

The only place being thin matters is in Hollywood. Trust me, I'm skinny as a rail and outside the Hollywood standards, all I get is backlash. In the "real world", it isn't cool to be thin.

It especially isn't cool to be black and thin.

If you don't plan on building a career in the industry, then there is no point in being thin.

For whatever reason being thin correlates with being vain, stuck up, or "b*tchy".

Ever since the age 11, I have experienced nothing but hostility from men and women for my (lack of) weight.

Being thin makes others feel insecure. I'm starting to feel that women like to have friends around the same weight/looks range, and usually don't like having friends that weigh significantly less than them. Even my own mother told me how skinny I was made her jealous.

Whenever I'm with a group of girls they feel they need to remind me how skinny I am and poke and prod me.... o_O; "Ermahagawd, soo skinny.... you are so skinny *poke* you prolly have small intestines."

I think (some) people put more emphases on bodies than faces because bodies are easier to change. Face changes involve thousands of dollars in plastic surgery, that MIGHT not even make you better looking. *shrug*

Being curvy/average weight and proud = "You go girl! BODY POSITIVE!"

Being skinny/below average weight and proud = "You think you're hot? You're a conceited anorexic ******!"

And when you're skinny and decide gain weight, you'll just be constantly reminded of skinny you used to be.
I'm black and slim (5'7", 122 lbs) and I usually get teased a lot by family and friends about not having any "junk in my trunk." (I don't have junk in my trunk – I have goodies in my trunk; they're only snack-sized goodies, but they're still goodies... heh heh heh .)

Old 10-31-2013, 04:57 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I'm black and slim (5'7", 122 lbs) and I usually get teased a lot by family and friends about not having any "junk in my trunk." (I don't have junk in my trunk – I have goodies in my trunk; they're only snack-sized goodies, but they're still goodies... heh heh heh .)
Very cute.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 PM

38 posts, read 87,352 times
I think this problem is even more prevalent in the AA community. Being a AA woman I can tell you the preference most blacks have always had for curvy bodies. This may not be what you're looking for but that's not going to change anytime soon. You may continue to receive negatively from black ppl because of your shape. Many ppl try to tear down what they perceive as different which just reveals their own ignorance. Just continue to have a great personality, dress in flattering clothing & there are ppl who will LOVE you. I think skinny girls are stunning. Black ppl have told me I would be thick if I was a white girl. Ignorant! When im self conscious about my body I just focus on my other strong suits like my face lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty