U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:47 PM

874 posts, read 1,034,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
This based on personal experiences and my own theory.

The only place being thin matters is in Hollywood. Trust me, I'm skinny as a rail and outside the Hollywood standards, all I get is backlash. In the "real world", it isn't cool to be thin.

It especially isn't cool to be black and thin.

If you don't plan on building a career in the industry, then there is no point in being thin.

For whatever reason being thin correlates with being vain, stuck up, or "b*tchy".

Ever since the age 11, I have experienced nothing but hostility from men and women for my (lack of) weight.

Being thin makes others feel insecure. I'm starting to feel that women like to have friends around the same weight/looks range, and usually don't like having friends that weigh significantly less than them. Even my own mother told me how skinny I was made her jealous.

Whenever I'm with a group of girls they feel they need to remind me how skinny I am and poke and prod me.... o_O; "Ermahagawd, soo skinny.... you are so skinny *poke* you prolly have small intestines."

I think (some) people put more emphases on bodies than faces because bodies are easier to change. Face changes involve thousands of dollars in plastic surgery, that MIGHT not even make you better looking. *shrug*

Being curvy/average weight and proud = "You go girl! BODY POSITIVE!"

Being skinny/below average weight and proud = "You think you're hot? You're a conceited anorexic ******!"

And when you're skinny and decide gain weight, you'll just be constantly reminded of skinny you used to be.
Right there with you. I didn't even read beyond what I bolded.

It's amazing how unreserved people are when it comes to telling you "eat a cheeseburger," etc., but they'd never tell someone [overweight] to lay off the cheeseburgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 4,400,121 times
This is a lifelong pet peeve of mine. I was always thin as a rail, and while I was taught to never tease or make fun of fat people, no one seemed to teach their children the same goes for thin people. I'm 59 now and I'm finally at a more normal weight with a BMI of 21, but that only happened in the last 3 years. I'm 5'8 and weighed 118 when I got pregnant with my son 24 years ago and I weighed 118 at my checkup two weeks after he was born. When I took him back east to meet his grandad at 6 months old, the FIRST thing my father said when he saw us was, "I see you gained weight" (sarcastically). He was overweight his entire adult life and I would never have said anything to him about being fat. I don't know why slender people are fair targets but obese people aren't.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I think sizes are changing to make people think they can fit smaller sizes and buy more. my opinion. Your size sounds right. I'm 5'9", pretty thin (about 140 at the moment) and can't squeeze into an 8 comfortably.

My weight sounds like a lot but I wear a 7-1/2 hat and a size 11 shoe so I'm not a small person. But I look slim. I'm just happy all my parts work!
Body and skeletal size plays into that big time as well.... I'm 6'1 and when I weighed 120ish lbs I barely squeezed my hips into a juniors size 11 and at that weight I was considered very underweight! A friend of mine who is around the same height (maybe an inch or two shorter, but the same weight) fits into a size 2. Of course, when I ballooned up due to medication issues, at my heaviest I was 230 lbs and fit comfortably into a size 16.

Being tall has it's advantages sometimes

Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Where you live will make a difference in perceptions. If you moved to Colorado, you wouldn't have this issue. Out here, obesity is very rare. In places like Philadelphia, you'll stick out like a.... really skinny person in that city. That should actually be a comparison people use :P

<snip>
There's some truth to this!
I used to live in Colorado (one of the "thinnest" states) and always felt "normal" because I'm fairly thin and fit; which is more the norm there.
In 2001 I moved to Michigan (one of the "fatter" states) where people refer to me as "petite", "skinny" and frequently make comments about how I should eat more, or faux compliments along the lines of "I hate people like you who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight."

Can you imagine turning it around and commenting on the size or body shape of an overweight person? I don't take it as a compliment; I find it irritating!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM

452 posts, read 541,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Exactly....I'm 5'9"...158 pounds and a size 4-6.
Yep, I'm 5'9"...138 lbs and wear a 5-7 juniors (barren, never got any broader around the midsection, so ms. clothes are baggy)

I say, if you're comfortable, who cares what anyone else thinks? God made you just the way He wanted you, so, you're perfect!

Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM

72,665 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:

The only place being thin matters is in Hollywood. Trust me, I'm skinny as a rail and outside the Hollywood standards, all I get is backlash. In the "real world", it isn't cool to be thin.

If you don't plan on building a career in the industry, then there is no point in being thin.

For whatever reason being thin correlates with being vain, stuck up, or "b*tchy".

Ever since the age 11, I have experienced nothing but hostility from men and women for my (lack of) weight.

Being thin makes others feel insecure. I'm starting to feel that women like to have friends around the same weight/looks range, and usually don't like having friends that weigh significantly less than them. Even my own mother told me how skinny I was made her jealous.

Whenever I'm with a group of girls they feel they need to remind me how skinny I am and poke and prod me.... o_O; "Ermahagawd, soo skinny.... you are so skinny *poke* you prolly have small intestines."

I think (some) people put more emphases on bodies than faces because bodies are easier to change. Face changes involve thousands of dollars in plastic surgery, that MIGHT not even make you better looking. *shrug*

Being skinny/below average weight and proud = "You think you're hot? You're a conceited anorexic ******!"

And when you're skinny and decide gain weight, you'll just be constantly reminded of skinny you used to be.
Where do you live, OP? I've never heard of this. It's pretty much the norm to be thin on the West Coast. Not unusual for young African American women, either. Don't let it get to you.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
Quote:

I totally understand where you are coming from. I was hated in high school for being curvy. They would actually talk about my bum and my waist. It got so bad that I stopped wearing clothes that showed my figure. People can be so cruel because of jealously and their own insecurity. We as women need to encourage each other but we usually tear each other down. I know it is hard but we have to develop our self confidence from within. I have spent several years covering up myself but I do not want to do that anymore. I am working on losing a couple of pounds and it will be on next spring. If women on reality shows are going under the knife to get what I have then I cannot be that bad. There are women who would kill to have a rail thin body. You work that. Screw all of those women who choose to hate you.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 PM

38,754 posts, read 37,920,228 times
The OP may be on to something, IDK... I'm not black nor am I a woman, but all the black guys I knew growing up were always on and on about black women and "junk in the trunk", not that getting a black man is the main point of what the OP was about. I do wonder if the black community does judge thinner women more harshly.......

It does seem like overall being thin does get more commentary from others, I think in some ways it's worse for a man to be underweight than it is for a woman.

Growing up I was always medium framed and put on muscle pretty easily, all of the guys that were thin always and I'll say it again were always insecure about it. I've never met a thin dude who wasn't insecure about it. It's a form of "masculinity" to not be thin. I've always sort of felt bad for the thin wirey types.

I've never had that problem, matter of fact the opposite, I blow up too easily, gotta drop a few pounds now I as I type this.

I still would rather be heavier than thinner......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty