Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
This based on personal experiences and my own theory.

The only place being thin matters is in Hollywood. Trust me, I'm skinny as a rail and outside the Hollywood standards, all I get is backlash. In the "real world", it isn't cool to be thin.

It especially isn't cool to be black and thin.

If you don't plan on building a career in the industry, then there is no point in being thin.

For whatever reason being thin correlates with being vain, stuck up, or "b*tchy".

Ever since the age 11, I have experienced nothing but hostility from men and women for my (lack of) weight.

Being thin makes others feel insecure. I'm starting to feel that women like to have friends around the same weight/looks range, and usually don't like having friends that weigh significantly less than them. Even my own mother told me how skinny I was made her jealous.

Whenever I'm with a group of girls they feel they need to remind me how skinny I am and poke and prod me.... o_O; "Ermahagawd, soo skinny.... you are so skinny *poke* you prolly have small intestines."

I think (some) people put more emphases on bodies than faces because bodies are easier to change. Face changes involve thousands of dollars in plastic surgery, that MIGHT not even make you better looking. *shrug*

Being curvy/average weight and proud = "You go girl! BODY POSITIVE!"

Being skinny/below average weight and proud = "You think you're hot? You're a conceited anorexic ******!"

And when you're skinny and decide gain weight, you'll just be constantly reminded of skinny you used to be.
They are jealous.......revel in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 05:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
At 5'6" and 148 lbs, I am at a good weight for my larger frame, which is concentrated mostly in my upper body. Each individual is different in their shape, tone, and frame. With working out, I may not lose weight, but am much more tone and that makes a significance difference in pants size for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You are kidding, right? I am 5'11" and weigh 135 lbs. Perfect weight, size 6-8 in pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR=blue
jade408[/color];32026534] The scale doesn't tell the story. There is easily a 30 pound spread for people with the same size and measurements depending on their body shape, bone structure and muscle mass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Exactly....I'm 5'9"...158 pounds and a size 4-6.
jade hit the nail on the head regarding this...clothing size is just a number, as is weight; it all depends on proportion and ones muscle to fat ratio; muscle weighs more than fat.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 AM

706 posts, read 1,179,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
jade hit the nail on the head regarding this...clothing size is just a number, as is weight; it all depends on proportion and ones muscle to fat ratio; muscle weighs more than fat.
Actually, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat is equal to a pound of muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat and therefore takes up less space.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,371 times
Default Adults do this to each other?

I agree, I wish I could tell people to mind their own business. In the past few years I have been slimmer than I was in my early twenties (was size 8 now size 4 or 2, if sizes help you imagine) and I can't believe all the comments and dirty looks I get from both women and men, mostly women though, that I didn't get before. This includes comments and stares from family members and coworkers alike, as if I'm some sort of freak show. Secretly it drives me up the wall, but I pretend to "brush it off" by saying things like "oh I'm a lot heavier than you think I am" (which is true). I don't see myself as a "small person," I see myself as normal and (mostly) healthy.

Before anyone thinks "gee, can't you just consider it a compliment?" I have to say I did not intend to be the size I am. I went through a stressful period (still kind of going through it) and inadvertently lost weight and/or body fat during this time. In fact I didn't even notice my body changed so much until people started pointing it out. It would be one thing if I lost weight due to sticking to diet and exercise, but it's another losing it due to physical or mental health problems. It makes me feel like I don't really have control over my body. I was happy with the way I looked a few years ago--I didn't think I needed to change. I was larger but still had a nice shape and I exercised regularly. The compliments (back-handed or genuine), the stares, comments, dirty looks, etc. just remind me of why I look this way now and sometimes I hate them so much!

Sometimes I go though moments when I fantasize about getting my old body back, but I know in reality it's not going to be so simple--it's not just a matter of "eating more." Plus I just found out my health could be worse than I thought (because I had been neglecting it so long) and I don't want to change before I can get that fixed. Another thing, like kawaiivictim said, if I "go back to normal" people will then comment on my gaining weight and not looking as good, etc. I try to tell myself that those people don't know my life, they don't understand me, but that doesn't always work. I didn't mean to turn this into my rant, but I wanted some place to express this.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:54 AM
xqt

76 posts, read 129,210 times
Anyone who heckles you about your weight is jealous. If anyone says to you, "omg you're so skinny eat more!" say to them, "omg you're so fat eat less!" and hopefully they should understand that your weight is not their concern.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 AM

269 posts, read 480,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Exactly....I'm 5'9"...158 pounds and a size 4-6.
I'm 5'9" 153 lbs and a size 12

Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Where you live will make a difference in perceptions. If you moved to Colorado, you wouldn't have this issue. Out here, obesity is very rare. In places like Philadelphia, you'll stick out like a.... really skinny person in that city. That should actually be a comparison people use :P

Don't give up being in shape because jealous people tease you. As long as you are in the healthy range, you're doing great. It's not your problem that other people can't give up their McDs, or stop chugging 2 liter bottles of pop. Besides, when it comes to finding a significant other, being attractive is a huge advantage. However, it might be good to not think of yourself as a victim (see your own username), because that will reinforce the wrong image. Be strong. I have people consider me arrogant all the time, because they are ignorant and don't know me. Once they work with me on a few projects and see that I routinely carry the entire project, the attitude changes because they realize I exceed the standards I put forth. I don't want to waste my time faking being humble to the point of pretending I suck at doing the very things that I excel at.

You clearly have things you excel at, and there is no reason you can't be proud of that. Stay in shape, and brush off the haters. If you get it non-stop, move to somewhere that excellence is the standard.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Thanks for posting this. I know it can be really hard to keep up a good face when others are spewing bile at yours.

Oh, a lot of them try to inject a little lightness into their tone, but often there is some nasty, nasty emotion behind it. I know it's more about their own issues than me, but it feels personal, and at that moment - they're projecting all their self-hate and body issues straight at me. I wish people knew how transparent they are, and that when they make those comments, others can see all their insecurities.

Yeah - they may be jealous, but so what? Why is that supposed to make it better? It's still bitter and hateful and aimed straight at me. All I can do is try not to let it get to me, I don't really have it in me to revel in someone else's negativity, or dish it back to them.

"Stick and stones may break my bones, but words can make me think I deserve it."
(mouse over text)

Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I heard a black lady in Memphis say "I was skinny once and everybody thought I was poor" LOL

Comments about personal appearance are rude. Ignore those and enjoy good health.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josmyth View Post
I'm 5'9" 153 lbs and a size 12
I think sizes are changing to make people think they can fit smaller sizes and buy more. my opinion. Your size sounds right. I'm 5'9", pretty thin (about 140 at the moment) and can't squeeze into an 8 comfortably.

My weight sounds like a lot but I wear a 7-1/2 hat and a size 11 shoe so I'm not a small person. But I look slim. I'm just happy all my parts work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty