U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,126,843 times

Advertisements

In Canada it was not suspicious at all in winter, which seemed to be forever. I even saw ski masks if the weather got cold enough. People walk to work there in any kind of weather.

In Houston it is not very cold, so it looks like the Unabomber is walking down the street. If I saw a ski mask, I would duck and run.

I also think Hollywood shows people committing crimes wearing hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,494,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Then why wear a hooded sweatshirt if your not actually going to use the hood? Why not just wear a regular sweatshirt, or even a sweater or coat/jacket?
I am just commenting on what I have seen.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 AM

936 posts, read 1,754,743 times
Probably because so many young criminals choose that as their outfit then wonder they're profiled. If you have kids you can tell them to wear something else so that they don't look like a criminal. Pretty simple.

Profiling works. If you don't think so then let me drop you off in a few places where all the guys on the corner at night are wearing hoods.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM

219 posts, read 412,583 times
Unless you work in a bank, not really. (My bank has signs on the doors saying all hoods, hats and sunglasses must be removed prior to entry).

As dazzleman said, though, if it's really out of place, such as wearing a hooded sweatshirt on a day it's 100 degress out, then yeah, my antennae would go up.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Status: "There is no future in time travel." (set 10 minutes ago)

5,505 posts, read 3,731,902 times
I have worked security at high school football games where everyone has to walk through a metal detector, take everything out of their pockets and take everything off their head, whether it be baseball caps or the hood part of hoodies. We do that to make sure no one is trying to sneak anything in. After they are screened, the caps and the hoodies can go back in.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,442,055 times
i think it depends on the age of whoever is wearing the hoody. Hoodies (especially the street style large hoods that accommodate caps) are pretty common casual dress for teens and those under 25, so you'd probably go crazy with paranoia (like Zimmerman!) if you tried to target and profile every boy--or even minority kid--wearing one, especially in diverse hip places like SoCal, NY, Miami. For those over 30, I'd be suspicious though, especially if they're dressed in dark clothing or camo. One of the more infamous hood boards for coppin tips/tricks even lists a hoody, dark jeans, running shoes & backpack as the recommended uniform to go "car shopping" aka auto burglary.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,625,444 times
I think very often criminals do wear hoods in order to make it harder to provide a description, and make it harder to positively ID them later. Then combine that with the fact that association is one of the most pervasive heuristics (way of interpreting data) employed by the human brain, often used without us even being consciously aware of it, and there is your answer.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM

5,549 posts, read 8,215,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think very often criminals do wear hoods in order to make it harder to provide a description, and make it harder to positively ID them later. Then combine that with the fact that association is one of the most pervasive heuristics (way of interpreting data) employed by the human brain, often used without us even being consciously aware of it, and there is your answer.
I agree. The mind's power of association is very strong. I was lost at night once, and it was a bit dark so I couldn't make out the neighborhood well. But as soon as I saw that the pillars for the railings leading up to the doorways had mesh (both horizontal and vertical) rather than simply being vertical, I realized that I was in a bad area and better get out quickly. My mind immediately made the association between that ugly mesh and public housing projects, and my reaction was instantaneous and visceral.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,198,288 times
I don't see that ---a hoody is fashion just like tattoos.. now if they act werid or look weird in the eyes,... that's different. IF you hanging out in a rough neighborhood- they can be naked. you are in a bad place. You just have to know how to discern folks , not by what you simply see..

Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM

73,055 posts, read 64,561,861 times
They look suspicious to you because they look like they're deliberately hiding their face from you, or as much of their head as possible, when in fact they may just be trying to keep warm. Keep the weather in mind when you're evaluating. If it's warm out and the hood is up, that may be worthy of a little suspicion. If it's cold, anyone wearing a hoodie would probably have it up, that's what they're for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty