Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM

317 posts, read 474,471 times

Advertisements

Huh.

I've been wearing hooded sweatshirts and coats for years and have never given the matter of whether I look suspicious or not a single thought. I have problematic ears that infect and ache at the slightest exposure to cool/cold temps, wind, or dampness so, in addition to other precautions like keeping cotton in my ears, I have my hood up frequently, often when others aren't normally wearing theirs.

I'm 41, skinny, pale, sickly, prone to falling, and wear very thick glasses. If all it takes is the wearing of a hood to get people suspicious or afraid of me, that's actually kind of sad.

So no, I don't think a hood in and of itself is much of a reason to think someone is up to no good. There would need to be other signs or behaviors in addition to the hood to raise my hackles to any degree.

Last edited by Sedivec; 10-30-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM

108 posts, read 285,451 times
Nothing screams homeless hobo living beneath an expressway overpass than a guy in a ragged looking hoodie with stringy, greasy-dirty mop like hair in his eyes and a two day stubble. You can smell him from 35 ft away. The unmistakeable aroma of stale cigarettes, urine, MadDog20-20 is enough to make you gag. Baggy, three sizes to large, Army surplus camo , cargo pants that haven't seen the inside of a washing machine since the Clinton Administration....
Yeah, every 7/11 Clerk and liquor store clerk gets really nervous at the first sight of these characters. Spot both the rotted out teeth and the look of them being eight miles high on meth or crack and those clerks just hope that the Smith & Wesson that hobo hoodie dude whips out doesn't go off.
The hoodie attire is also a favorite of your gold teeth, pants worn below the knees, with all of the boxers visible. These hoodie fashionistas tend to be black males between 12 and 25 years of age with the average intelligence of a 7 year old. They tend to favor sporting colors of the gang of which they are loyal members. Their manner of speach is unique as it consists of grunted abbreviated words which are only intelligiable to their unique clique. Adults of all ethnicities and races do need an interpreter to understand their language, because it is a most unique, economized, version of broken English. One may not be able to determine what these 12yr old to 25yr old males are saying at any point in time, however one can easily read their body language and facial expressions. They are even more expressive this way than the most expressive, gesturing, hand and arm waving Italians.
The black males in hoodies subset do dress better than their caucasian male counterparts who sport hoodies. You seldom see a wrinkled or dirty hoodie as they pride themselves on being classy in a hoodie as the gold mouth grille looks fly, so everything else must also. Though the hoodies themselves are of the same $6.99 Family Dollar/Target/Walmart/Kmart variety as their caucasian male counterparts, these gangstas keep theirs spotless, wrinkle free, and immaculately clean and rip free.
These gangstas in hoodies also coordinate their outfits with very expensive and stylish shoes which in nearly 99.7% of the time is leather basketball sneaks. They finish off their look with a big bold gold Rolex or Patek... or Breitling and gold neck wear and their gangs regimental colours and usually something like a Beretta or Tec9 to keep the peace. They tend to be highly motivated go-getter entreprenuerial types that master the basics of illegal commerce at a very young age.
They most all tend to be Type A, personality who do not take NO for an answer. They prefer to settle any disagreements at a moments notice using the finest automatic weaponry available today.
They are most skilled in use of such equipment and are as battle ready as a Marine troop.

Yes sir, both stereotyped descriptions above make up the largest portion perhaps of hoodie wearers today.
.....................Hoodlums wear hoodies, perhaps that is overly harsh but that is the vast perception by many folks today. I know that it is about as stupid and illogical as the saying about men who drive Miatas and other so-called 'Chick' cars.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:27 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
vast perception by many folks today 80 % of people are ignorant anyways so--

Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Not only do they look suspicious, they look stupid ! I would think that the dumb hoodlums would want to be able to look all around themselves to see who might be creeping up on them but no, they prefer to be able to look just straight ahead and have blind spots to the side and back. I was in a major retail store with my wife awhile ago and a 40-50 year old man was wearing a hoody in the store , I looked at him and shook my head and he took the hood down and walked away. What possible reason is there to wear a hood in the summer or inside ? None, just plain-ss stupidity !
wow glad my family doesn't live anywhere near your kind of thinking wow!!!
such control freaks,,, where were you when the leather jackets came out/ (Fonz) or ciggies in the sleeve?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM

706 posts, read 1,179,390 times
How quickly we forget, some of the most notoriously crooked folks this country has ever seen have worn 3-piece cashmere suits (Bernie Madoff anyone?). Suits that were bought from the money stolen from seniors and hard working people they made their unsuspecting victims. And yet some of you insist on seeing a man walking down the street or in a mall who just happens to be wearing a hoodie as being the biggest threat.

Simpletons....

Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 AM

570 posts, read 720,967 times
Hoodies for life.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:50 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Then why wear a hooded sweatshirt if your not actually going to use the hood? Why not just wear a regular sweatshirt, or even a sweater or coat/jacket?
Wear a hood incase it rains.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,646 times
It fully depends on what the "" social norms "" are in the area in which you reside.

I lived for fourteen years in Helena Montana and I'm also a hardcore trail runner.
In the wintertime in western Montana it can stay well below zero day and night for up to a week at a time.

During the dead of winter up on the mountain trails the head wear that myself and the rest of the trail runners has to protect you from extreme cold including wind chill.
My coldest run with a 10 mile mountain trail training run while the actual outside air temperature was -28F with a 10 mile an hour wind which brought the wind chill temperature down to around -40F.

Most of my protective clothing was Arctic wear made for Alpine exploration at medium altitudes.

Here is a photo of the exact head gear I wore on extremely cold days.

The head gear is called a Balaclava. If I wore this in the Lehigh Valley of eastern PA where I now live it would scare the H3ll out of alot of people.

It's not needed here but in Helena many people that don't participate in outdoor sports in the dead of winter wear one of these to stay safe in brutal conditions.
A balaclava is a social norm in Helena just like hoodies are a social norm with the confines of a particular social and ethnic strata.

This does not mean you don't have people in other socioeconomic classes wear hoodies but it is by far a trend and a statement worn in the ranks of certain segments of society.

Last edited by julian17033; 11-02-2013 at 07:44 AM..

Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Why no nose ventalation?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Why no nose ventalation?

If you look, the nose ventilation is present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty