U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think she is fat?
Yes 30 13.10%
No 199 86.90%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM
EA

5,472 posts, read 4,663,853 times

Advertisements

She's on the thin side, if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:28 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,742,771 times
I voted no. I am a female. She looked a little overweight when she first started MadMen. The role she was playing required over the top camp and the 50s clothing and bigger bouffant hair added weight. The few times I have watched this show, the camera shot her close, intentionally increasing the contrast in size between her character and the other women, to emphasize her power in the office. As time has marched on in TV land into the 60s, she wears more flattering outfits reflecting that time period. More recently, she is a more healthy weight. I think she would look sickly if she lost any more weight.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 11-01-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 06:57 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,603,756 times
Ok, the OP took a great photo that was probably photoshopped to death. I can only comment on seeing her on awards shows, and yes, she's fat, but not obese, though, her large bust certainly makes her look a lot larger.

If you're only going the by photo that the OP put up, then no, I would not say she was fat. She would be the high end of "average."

Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 PM

3,348 posts, read 5,811,757 times
Good Lord, no. She's curvy and beautiful.

When it comes to female figures, Hollywood, modeling, and the media have drilled such a warped version of "normal" into people's heads that anything above emaciated is considered fat. Christina Hendricks is an exception to the rule only in that she almost approaches the body of a normal-sized woman.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:49 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Good Lord, no. She's curvy and beautiful.

When it comes to female figures, Hollywood, modeling, and the media have drilled such a warped version of "normal" into people's heads that anything above emaciated is considered fat. Christina Hendricks is an exception to the rule only in that she almost approaches the body of a normal-sized woman.
I agree... I also think that she looks a lot bigger when she's on Mad Men because, as someone else already pointed out I believe, her fellow actresses are MUCH MUCH smaller than she is. When you're surrounded by slim size 0s, of course a size 6 or above is going to look gigantic. It's the main reason I HATE taking pictures with others. As a 6'1 tall, not super thin but perfectly average size woman I look like Godzilla in pictures with my 5' 100 lb friends.

If you look at a picture with her husband she doesn't look 'huge' at all.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,410,382 times
No, but her boobs need to be toned down a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
So, the word "fat" seems to have a broad significance this days, some people might think a "fat" woman is someone other people may think is a slim or thin woman, and so on. Christina Hendricks, at 58″ and 154 pounds (according to online sources) seems to be called "fat" by some people, while others think she is just voluptous, not fat, and very hot.

But, according to her BMI and her height and weight, she is not even overweight, her BMI is barely 23.4, falling into the "normal weight" category (overweight is above 25), and her weight is in the healthy range for her height. So, no doctor would say she is even overweight, but still people call her fat. Maybe her very large breasts makes her seem bigger than what she is?

Anyways, i would be interesting to know the percentage that here thinks she is fat, and the percentege that think she is not, and how women and men vote on this.

I of course think she is not fat, i think her body ideal, though i do think her breasts are too big, but if she had less breasts she would have a killer body. However, she is not fat by any means, large breasts or not. She is also very beautiful.

So vote "yes" or "no", and "no" doesnt mean you think she is thin, just means you think she is not fat.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:52 AM

745 posts, read 874,840 times
If anything, she could use a few more pounds.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 AM

362 posts, read 583,739 times
She's not fat, she's delicious

Old 11-02-2013, 11:47 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,400,121 times
I think if she didn't have such a beautiful face and wasn't squeezed into such expensive foundation garments, people would think she was fat. Put a homely middle-aged woman with that body into clothes from Wal-mart and people wouldn't be so kind.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:52 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,723,725 times
I'd say full-figured, not fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty