U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More annoying: Formal clothing in Winter Vs. Summer
Winter 6 22.22%
Summer 21 77.78%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Please change: Sports coat, chinos, shirt ((summer darks are ok), tie. Unless you are in a technical field such as oil/construction.
The thing is, I am going into a technical field. I don't mind and actually like wearing formals when its cool outside. Its just the heat that's an issue while wearing formals. Guess I need to suck up the sweat and deal with it by purchasing better deo and cologne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:32 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,153,236 times
I prefer my robe but hey even I need get dress, I like comfy clothing, I like be relax ..All seasons~~~~

Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,316,887 times
I'm a female, and I prefer winter formalwear because I like layers. If it's summer time, I'm limited. And it's also hot…

Old 11-02-2013, 10:14 AM

If the meeting room has good A/C, then wearing formals is not an issue at all. Else its a bane. Room temperature of 73 F and below is comfortable for formals as long as humidity is low.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So you never heard about the news in Atlanta where people succumbed from heat stroke waiting for a job fair in July of 2011. Several people were miserable in the summer heat wearing formals. Here is the link:

9 treated for heat exhaustion at job fair in southwest Atlanta - CBS Atlanta News
Umm... if people are stupid enough to wear formalwear (gowns, long dresses and tuxes) to a JOB FAIR, they deserve to get heat stroke....

Old 11-02-2013, 04:08 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What line of work is he in?
Venture Capitalist in Biotechnology. Primarily.

That's as close as I can come to describing what he does. In practice, it's way more complicated. In rare instances when he meets someone who needs to ask, and with whom he's decided to communicate, he can now just say, "It's easiest if you just look up my name." That's the good thing about everyone's having all these little portable devices, now. The bad part is that too many people use them while driving...

Germane to this thread is that the impact of DH's packaging precluded most of the actual work for which he'd prepared himself in school. He enjoys his specialty: but his knowledge base was merely a requisite for entry into the business end of field. We both worked really hard on improving our accents, and spent two hours a day in the gym. It's hard to pack enough muscle onto a 6ft3 frame. And we learned the intricacies of ultra-fine business garb - with me, at first, scrounging Better-than-the-Best clothing from unlikely sources - then off Ebay - until, finally, we were able to pay retail. But his looking and sounding spectacular (speech therapists, acting coaches... hours practicing with me... we finally got his voice down to an orgasm-inducing rumble, and made his gaze hypnotic, his posture commanding...) meant that he was snatched out of 'the lab', and fast-tracked within the 'front office'.

And again, it's all a lot more complicated than I'm making it sound.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We are talking about different things then.

Career fairs and interviews are not formal... and do not warrant formal clothes.
Wait, my university demands that all students dress up in formals for career fairs. Its not my choice, its the decision of university career services. They decide what type of attire students should wear to career fairs and interviews.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Umm... if people are stupid enough to wear formalwear (gowns, long dresses and tuxes) to a JOB FAIR, they deserve to get heat stroke....
You need to look at it from our point of view as well. Students like us are expected and advised to wear such clothing at career fairs by the university career services. Most of us take such advice seriously while appearing for the career fair.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:20 PM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Wait, my university demands that all students dress up in formals for career fairs. Its not my choice, its the decision of university career services. They decide what type of attire students should wear to career fairs and interviews.
You mean business attire. I'm sure they are not requiring you to dress in formals.

This is formal attire:

Not really appropriate for job fairs.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:37 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
That;s what I keep saying... but the OP doesn't get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty