U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More annoying: Formal clothing in Winter Vs. Summer
Winter 6 22.22%
Summer 21 77.78%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 AM

811 posts, read 980,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Wait, my university demands that all students dress up in formals for career fairs. Its not my choice, its the decision of university career services. They decide what type of attire students should wear to career fairs and interviews.
Dude, formals mean evening attire. Tuxedos and cummerbunds.

What you speak of is business attire. Quit complaining and dress appropriately so you can find a job. You need to have a job at 0 F 25 F or 50 F, even if the temperature is 100F. In other words, all times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
OK, I admit the error. I should have mentioned business attire. But either way, guys need to put on 3 layers of clothes for career fairs (suit jacket, white shirt, an undershirt, polished black shoes, black socks, and a tie) and doing this is uncomfortable in sweltering heat. This is the way every student I have seen most students in the career fair dress up, regardless of temperatures. Hence, I follow the same code.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Quit complaining and dress appropriately so you can find a job. You need to have a job at 0 F 25 F or 50 F, even if the temperature is 100F. In other words, all times
I will deal with it. No problem. Just a bit annoying and uncomfortable, but that's no biggie. I have worked in India with business attire before, and just sucked up the heat + humidity though it was annoying.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
OK, I admit the error. I should have mentioned business attire. But either way, guys need to put on 3 layers of clothes for career fairs (suit jacket, white shirt, an undershirt, polished black shoes, black socks, and a tie) and doing this is uncomfortable in sweltering heat. This is the way every student I have seen most students in the career fair dress up, regardless of temperatures. Hence, I follow the same code.
That's what you need to get a job.

Are you thinking you can go dressed like a Guindian and land a job?? Come on, brah Try it and see where it takes you.

http://i12.tinypic.com/6koqau9.jpg

Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I will deal with it. No problem. Just a bit annoying and uncomfortable, but that's no biggie. I have worked in India with business attire before, and just sucked up the heat + humidity though it was annoying.
I have worked in India too and I did not wear a suit jacket. Just wore ties and it was optional.

Completely different country and nobody mandates a suit because it burns people into ash.

But Jersey is the opposite and in a couple weeks, you are going to be freezing and you need to layer up.

Also, in this side of the planet, you have to suit up to get a job and be taken seriously. Don't go around like the guindian/desi mofos in Jackson Heights or Floral Park You don't want to be associated with either demographic.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 AM

398 posts, read 436,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Bane? Let the fox out!!! Otherwise settle for mink.
That is my favorite part about formal events in Western NY, all the pretty and fun fur coats come out. I personally don't wear fur but they are still beautiful on the right woman.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
That is my favorite part about formal events in Western NY, all the pretty and fun fur coats come out. I personally don't wear fur but they are still beautiful on the right woman.
Is it snowing up there right now. Western NY is supposed to receive a beautiful coating of snow today. Bundle up and enjoy your first snowy weekend . Unfortunately, we are put on hold till late November with regards to snow .

Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Also, in this side of the planet, you have to suit up to get a job and be taken seriously. Don't go around like the guindian/desi mofos in Jackson Heights or Floral Park You don't want to be associated with either demographic.
First off, I am not Desi. I lived in South India all my life and have been up north only once. I know next to nothing about what happens in north India outside New Delhi and Mumbai.

Second, I have never dressed up that way. I wear proper suit + tie with a white shirt and black pants when I go to career fairs. I just don't feel comfortable doing so, but have to if I need a job. Requirement shadows comfort in this situation.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM

994 posts, read 1,198,480 times
Formal wear is never annoying to me!

I'm a female who LIVES to get dressed up. The temperature outside doesn't affect my love of serving up glam.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
First off, I am not Desi. I lived in South India all my life and have been up north only once. I know next to nothing about what happens in north India outside New Delhi and Mumbai.

Second, I have never dressed up that way. I wear proper suit + tie with a white shirt and black pants when I go to career fairs. I just don't feel comfortable doing so, but have to if I need a job. Requirement shadows comfort in this situation.
You don't have a choice to pick who you are, compadres You can run but you can't hide.

Urban Dictionary: desi

So it seems that you already wear suit + tie. Just don't pick them from Kohl's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty