U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,402,988 times

Advertisements

Also, I want to add, as someone whose own hair was below her waist when she was younger, what's to be "proud" of? What kind of talent does it take to grow hair? You may like or love or hate your hair, but pride should come from accomplishment, not just a lack of hair cutting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 01:10 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,282,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Also, I want to add, as someone whose own hair was below her waist when she was younger, what's to be "proud" of? What kind of talent does it take to grow hair? You may like or love or hate your hair, but pride should come from accomplishment, not just a lack of hair cutting.
Pride should come from looks and/or records as well, even from local records.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:29 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,544,506 times
My grandmother had hair down to her ankles. She always wore it in a bun. My wife's hair goes down to past her butt and it has been cut several times. She usually wears it in a pony tail.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 AM

2,731 posts, read 1,956,946 times
There is a fact that not all peoples hair grow long at first place. There is some factors which limit this quality. I like longer hair, mine is about waist lenght. It took 20 years to grow it into that lenght. As long as I can take care of it myself I keep it that way. I would grow it mail lenght if it would grow but it refused.

Pretty hair of yours

Old 11-02-2013, 03:35 AM

5,131 posts, read 3,639,022 times
I had long hair when I was younger (down to my hips). When I cut it to the nape of my neck, I couldn't believe how much easier it was to wash and it was easier and more versatile to style. When mine was long, I curled it for special occasions. Not many options for self-styling. I never regretted cutting it for a minute.

One thing about women with long hair, if you have it, wear it long. If you bunch it up into a bun or a clip ALL the time like many do, why have long hair in the first place?

BTW, I dislike older women wearing their hair long unless they keep it up in a chic, stylish bun (but really, how many take the time?). It seems like an attempt to keep their youth/youthful looks when they wear it down, and in reality, it does the opposite IMO. Also, once the gray starts coming in, it is very difficult to keep it evenly coloured, and the ends end up dry looking.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:24 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,579,619 times
My whole life I have had long hair, which was thick, auburn and one of my best features IMO. As I got older and grayer, I found myself keeping it in a ponytail or a bun almost all of the time, so what was the point of the long hair? Not to mention how incredibly hot it was in the summer. I finally decided to cut it, and don't miss it a bit. With a few exceptions, long hair on an older woman is very aging and can look witchy. When I cut it, people commented how much younger I looked.

I think knee length hair is not something I would be proud of, as it seems the hair towards the bottom always ends up looking too thin and ratty. If I were OP I'd cut off the last foot or so and it would be such much prettier. Quality over quantity and all that.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,845 times
Mine usually gets to waist length, but I don't like it longer cause it looks too thinned out once it gets longer. I tend to take a couple inches off though, but I keep it longer than bra strap length. I don't like it too short cause without the weight, it "poofs" out, and tends to be so light weight it frizzes out a lot. I guess I get what you mean by "proud" just because I know so many women who want long hair but for some reason they don't have the patience or they can't grow it out, they tell me. But I wouldn't say I'm "proud" necessarily, but just that I like it and I feel it is a good feature and I don't plan on chopping it above my shoulders just because I turn 40 in a few years. It looks very nice and its easier to take care of. When its short, it is curls and frizzes too much and product and irons don't help, it looks messy ALL the time no matter what I do. I also can't have it so short I can't pull it back, but having it boy-short is not an option for my face frame.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,176 times
@littlechoirlady, your hair looks healthy and shiny, like something out of a fairy tale; I love it, and have always admired well-kempt long hair.

I had waist length hair in high school, and in my early twenties finally gave in to curiosity/social pressure and cut it short. It looked great. I went through a few cycles of telling myself I was really growing it out this time, and then cutting it again on impulse. I think I've finally exorcised the urge. It's halfway down my back, and I wouldn't dream of cutting it.

Anyway, it's a matter of personal taste; I've developed a style that's very fairy and fantasy-influenced, and long hair suits the image I want to portray.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 5,176 times
btw, I am proud of my hair, too. It's nice to have something about my body/person that I just like and feel good about, without having to repeatedly work on it or otherwise "earn" it!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 AM

533 posts, read 916,338 times
I love having long hair because contrary to popular opinion, it's easier to take care of than short hair. With short hair I used to have to style/straighten/curl my hair all the time and couldn't do many updos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or