Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkidoglover View Post
My understanding of this made-up word, is that it used to describe someone who is racially ambiguous.omeone like Cassie, Amber Rose...maybe Kim Kardashian (even though she is white).

It also seems to be used for anyone who is light-skinned, latino or from a mixed-race background.

NAH! Why should I be?
Exactly, thats what exxotical means!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
lol

How does that make them live in the real world anymore than anyone else? All they said was that sure, SOME of them are perceived as interesting or exotic. It still doesn't change the fact that your evidence is anecdotal at best. You can name a LOT more non "exotic" actors, actresses, models, musicians, athletes, politicians etc. that are NOT like this than are.

Over time, more will become mixed, but it doesn't have anything to do with desirability, but with the fact that we are a global society these days and more and more cultures are mixing. You will simply see more of them in every industry, but it is not because they are "more desirable", there are just more of them.

You can't cherry-pick ideas to support your theories and expect people to take you seriously.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Your maniacal attention to exxoticals is a fantastical but illogical attempt to provide a theoretical link between the biophysical with the nonsensical nature of pop-culture.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Yes! Exotic features are gorgeous, unique, and delightful. Hard to compete with such natural ambience.
However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll always appreciate a face, personality and look with exotic overtones!!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Being called exotic is pretty insulting actually. You lose your "humanness" and become more like a "creature" to be studied.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
^ Exactly! That's why I'm offended. It feels like a degrading objectification. Can we please end this thread?

And no, OP, you're still wrong. If you're going to keep your using handful of racially ambiguous examples, I'm going to keep throwing the same totally white examples at you.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Goes to show how dumb this thread is
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
^ Exactly! That's why I'm offended. It feels like a degrading objectification. Can we please end this thread?
And no, OP, you're still wrong. If you're going to keep your using handful of racially ambiguous examples, I'm going to keep throwing the same totally white examples at you.
Read through this whole thing. Agree with the above. This topic is obtuse and shallow.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 PM

630 posts, read 1,048,658 times
I'm an exotical and this isn't true. The most successful are usually white and/or jewish. The only thing I will say is some african american guys are attracted to exoticals, not all but some. And some african american girls have sort of developed a complex because of it.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
I'm an exotical and this isn't true. The most successful are usually white and/or jewish. The only thing I will say is some african american guys are attracted to exoticals, not all but some. And some african american girls have sort of developed a complex because of it.
Without going into a long tirade about colorism, just take a look at the "popular" black actresses who get most of the roles. And the ones that have a limited subset of roles for black women. It's not a complex, it is reality. Some black women are completely invisible or have very very limited portrayals in pop culture. And it is th ones who look more like me and not the ones who look like Beyonce.

There is a long history of privledge associated with having "more European" features. In the black community that hasn't been abated.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
It seems to me that there is link between how successful one is and how ""exxotical"" they are.

Most influential people (different fields by the way)

1) POLITICS: President of the US: Half black half white, clearly an exotical. I can tell you that there are people around the world eg Africa and parts of Asia who due to lack of TVs etc who could not recognise say Clinton but can recognise Obama. As an exxotical President, his impact is huge and unforgettable.

2)MUSIC: Youngest #1 Billboard charts: Rhihanna another exxotical

3)MODELLING: Highest paid supermodel of all time: Gisele Bundchen: also an exxotical

4) ACTRESSES: Then of course you have regular white women like Angelina Jolie but face it, she got to where she is because of her exxotical lips and averall exxotical looks.

5) FAMOUS FOR NOTHING: While most hate her, she is nonetheless one of the most relevant people in entertainment today & of course she is exxotical: KIM K
. Please note that Paris Hilton, a regular white girl did the Kim K route but she never lasted as long as Kim K or was ever as relavant. Why she was pasty white not exxotical.

6 Most relevant new comer, Miley Cirus, twerks like an exxotical. She has exxotical swag, not an average white girl.

The only person I can think of who left his mark in history without being exxotical was Michael Jackson he was all black but nevermind he looked exxotical then. Then you have people like Madonna and Whitney but they were from the 80s. I cant think of any one who is anybody nowadays who is not exxotical at least not in entertainment

I ask because growing up I looked like a regular white girl with light eyes but my hair was somewhat kinky and back then the hair was enough to have me considered exxotical but nowadays I feel inadequate as I´m considered a white girl with ``weird`` hair or in some circles nice hair but it seems like my skin color and eye color and hair color trumps hair texture 3A HAIR is least so I´m not considered exxotical in a world where exxoticals have an easier life

What the hell is an "exxotical"? We are human beings not flowers and plants.

Of course I don't feel inadequate compared to people of mixed race. This sounds a little racist. So white is normal and everyone else is an "exxoticals"?
I think you might want to stick to botany because that's where the term "exxotical" belongs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty