U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 424,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leco18 View Post
As a guy now in my college frshman year, I'm going to a school that's in the opposite part of the contry as I'm from. My parents suggested that I try to meet people by doing some volunteer things, especially with some church people. So I have. I grew up on the conservative side, and didn't know any religious people growing up. I always thought that Christian girls were sort of the same. But I notice that most of the girls my age at this church, even when representing their church by volunteering, wear these sexy, revealing type clothes like these black yoga pants with uggs and such. I've tried to just not notice or feed their ego, but dressed in those, I turn and I'm always like O...O...O! And then sometimes they give me this poker face that's unreadable. It's really frustrating! I don't think dressing in those like that is right, for doing church stuff, is it? Christian girls dressing like this? Is that Christian-like? I don't think it is!
Some people are just cultural christians and it doesn't mean much to them. They're christians because everybody else in their community says they're christians. You see that often in the black community where gangbangers often call themselves christians and profess that they're saved all the while pimpin ******* and poppin caps in people.
Women in black churches often dress in extremely inappropriate ways too. I haven't been to many white churches so I don't know.

I'm curious about your background. You're conversative and yet not christian ? Are you jewish ?
Atheist or non christian conservativism is common in places like Europe but not common in the usa or canada where conservative is pretty much synonymous with christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:16 PM

694 posts, read 631,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Times have changed..I'm sure Jesus would understand.
Ha Ha. NO! Modesty is not relative to the times. Neither is respect for yourself.

Charles Sands

Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,187,084 times
75% of Americans are Christian but that doesn't mean like a weird Pat Robertson/Rick Santorum type. The South is known for hot girls that wear very little clothing, especially in rural Christian regions. The only really religious areas where hot yougn girls don't dress that way are Amish country and Utah. The liberal Northeast has the most prudishly dressed looking women for whatever reason. That's a paradox I'm still trying to resolve.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,696,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leco18 View Post
I grew up on the conservative side, and didn't know any religious people growing up. I always thought that Christian girls were sort of the same.
How did you manage to come up with an idea of how Christian girls were if you didn't know any religious people when you were growing up?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM

305 posts, read 391,272 times
Unfortunately, churches in recent years haven't given much if any direction to their young people on how to dress. So now you see teens wearing everything from the most provocative to just plain ugly.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,363,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Yes, the OP does have a responsibility for himself, but purity is a two-way street. It is a fact that most men find a woman's body attractive, and revealing clothes often leave nothing to the imagination. If these Christian girls truly cared about their brothers' spiritual well-being, they could be a tremendous help by choosing clothes that are less revealing.
This is a joke... right?!?! Someone tell me this is a joke or someone just trolling.

... who says Muslims and Christians don't worship the same nonsense.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,665,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Ladies, never dress in a way that will cause others to stumble. Modesty is what the Bible calls for. Specifically.
If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out. However, don't tell me what to wear.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,338,624 times
Why can't a Christian girl dress however she pleases? Don't tell me you are one of those guys that blames a girl if she dresses temptingly and someone responds? I hope you stay away from beaches, if you can't look at girls with little on without being tempted.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:30 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,338,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Yes, the OP does have a responsibility for himself, but purity is a two-way street. It is a fact that most men find a woman's body attractive, and revealing clothes often leave nothing to the imagination. If these Christian girls truly cared about their brothers' spiritual well-being, they could be a tremendous help by choosing clothes that are less revealing. In turn, guys shouldn't lead girls on or play with their emotions, as that's often a stumbling block for the girls. Some might say that is telling people what to do, being legalistic, etc., but I disagree. The Bible says not to cause offense to one another, and it's a good practice to not do or say things that could lead another person into sin. A believer desiring to be truly Christlike would always put someone else first, IMHO.
A brother's spiritual well-being is his own to guard. If he is so weak that he can't see a woman in tight pants without having to struggle with his earthly desires, then he should stay in his room and read his Bible all day. The Bible says a lot of things, but many people only choose to follow the parts that fit their own personal agendas. If you are critical of my short, shorts, then you are not putting me first. It is HOT where I live, and I am not sweating to protect your purity.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,693,638 times
Yoga pants are fine since they don't reveal any skin.

But most Hindu's will feel disgusted if someone decides to wear bikini's or bathing suits into lord Shiva's shrine, and I don't blame them. Its not about them stumbling due to a weak mind and lack of faith. Its all about respecting the rules when you enter a place of worship. Believe it or not, Hindu temples all over the world actually do recommend you to strictly follow the dress codes and prevent entry with shoes. Similarly, other places of worship are private property just like offices and can legally impose clothing restrictions within certain bounds. Doesn't your office have dress codes.

Personally, I feel that your clothes do not dictate your faith. Unfortunately, that's not the way this world works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty