U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:24 AM

439 posts, read 326,680 times

Advertisements

I never said cover yourself from head to toe. So I'm not sure what you're implying?! I know the modesty pill is somewhat hard to swallow for people. Our society has become numb. We see some much trash on a daily basis and now we don't recognize immorality. You can't even watch a tv show, let alone a commercial, without there being something sensual or a sexual motive behind it. Watch the Grammy's or some of Beyoncé's music videos. Yeah, that's what our young girls are watching and aspiring to be. And because sexuality is all they see on a daily basis they have been taught it's ok to dress that way. Like I said before, be modest and stylish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 01:48 AM

3,900 posts, read 4,334,041 times
I went to a megachurch for a while (even if I'm not religious) because the women were dressed nice. I enjoyed being around all those pretty women getting into the Christian rock music. Yes many of the women were wearing sexy outfits...more so than I see in other places.

I think it's good for Christian women to wear these clothes because Christianity is the main religion of Western Civilization. A cornerstone of Western culture is that women aren't required to dress modestly like in the Muslim world.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,419,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
I never said cover yourself from head to toe. So I'm not sure what you're implying?! I know the modesty pill is somewhat hard to swallow for people. Our society has become numb. We see some much trash on a daily basis and now we don't recognize immorality. You can't even watch a tv show, let alone a commercial, without there being something sensual or a sexual motive behind it. Watch the Grammy's or some of Beyoncé's music videos. Yeah, that's what our young girls are watching and aspiring to be. And because sexuality is all they see on a daily basis they have been taught it's ok to dress that way. Like I said before, be modest and stylish.
Your judgment is evident. The lord and savior said not to judge and to be true to God. That's it. One day you will find the teachings of the lord and savior and come to one with God.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,419,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
I'm sorry, did I hit a nerve or something?

I am a Christian, even though that word sours in my mouth when I say it. So many people claim to be Christian these days, yet they don't live the life of a Christian. It gives us real Christians a bad name. No wonder there is such a hatred for Christianity in our world these days. And because there are judgmental eyes watching our every move and action, yes, I do think I deserve the right to make an elaborate post like that. We have to set an example to the world. We can't do that if our flesh is hanging out of every crevice or if we wear something 2 sizes too small or too short.
You did not hit a nerve. I'm just concerned about this misrepresentation of the teachings of our lord and savior. If one is not true to God, they are not following the teachings. It's evident that you are lost, but you will not be judged. You can still find yourself and be one with God.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,358,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leco18 View Post
As a guy now in my college frshman year, I'm going to a school that's in the opposite part of the contry as I'm from. My parents suggested that I try to meet people by doing some volunteer things, especially with some church people. So I have. I grew up on the conservative side, and didn't know any religious people growing up. I always thought that Christian girls were sort of the same. But I notice that most of the girls my age at this church, even when representing their church by volunteering, wear these sexy, revealing type clothes like these black yoga pants with uggs and such. I've tried to just not notice or feed their ego, but dressed in those, I turn and I'm always like O...O...O! And then sometimes they give me this poker face that's unreadable. It's really frustrating! I don't think dressing in those like that is right, for doing church stuff, is it? Christian girls dressing like this? Is that Christian-like? I don't think it is!
I didn't read most of the thread, but I thought I'd take a stab with a different perspective here.

I think a lot of men don't want to admit that women dress in ways to attract them even if the way they dress is just downright awful. Women will dress in ways that elicit positive attention. If it means they wear revealing clothes, ugg boots, and yoga pants with short midriff tops, that's how they'll dress. I am not going to sit here and determine the Christianess of said girls even though their style of dress would be immodest IMO. But think about it-- if more guys gave women positive attention for dressing nicely, wearing clothes which covered them up more, and appearing ladylike and feminine, women would continue to dress that way.

People don't want to admit it, but men of all religious flavors love it when women dress like this:

Moderator cut: image removed

Yes, she's Giselle. She's hot and she's dressed immodestly but a lot of men are willing to look the other way.

Now look at this outfit:

I'd say this would be a nice way to dress-- it's stylish and rather modest. It also speaks "girl next door" which I'd like men would like. Then, why aren't the women who dress like this getting the attention from men and receiving accolades for their modest style? It's because people don't really WANT modesty. We can sit here and complain and complain about grown adults being immodest (I don't think children should be dressing scantily) but the truth of the matter is we reward people for how they dress. If we keep rewarding people for showing lots of skin, that's what they'll continue to do.

Last edited by Marka; 02-01-2014 at 04:16 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Your judgment is evident. The lord and savior said not to judge and to be true to God. That's it. One day you will find the teachings of the lord and savior and come to one with God.
I'm a little speechless. I'm trying to figure out how another Christian could be suggesting it's ok to dress inappropriately?! You have not said one thing that suggests you think we, as Christians, should be modest and holy. I'm also not seeing judgment in my original post. I didn't know speaking about modesty was judgmental. I'll have to make a note of that in my Bible next to the scriptures about modesty...note to self: don't read these scriptures because they are judgmental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You did not hit a nerve. I'm just concerned about this misrepresentation of the teachings of our lord and savior. If one is not true to God, they are not following the teachings. It's evident that you are lost, but you will not be judged. You can still find yourself and be one with God.
I'm not sure where I can find: dressing inappropriately is ok, in the Bible. Can you please show me? I'm only familiar with the scriptures that talk about: modesty, your body is the temple of God and how loving the world and lusting after the things in this world shows you don't love God.

1 Tim 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

1 Peter 3:3 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 2 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. 3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

1 Cor 3:16 Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? 17 God will destroy anyone who destroys this temple. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. 18 Stop deceiving yourselves. If you think you are wise by this world’s standards, you need to become a fool to be truly wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God.

I'm sorry if you took my post in an offensive way. That was not my intentions. I guess I didn't know two Christians who believe in the scriptures could have two different opinions on modesty vs. immodesty.

Last edited by JuniPearl; 02-01-2014 at 03:09 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I think a lot of men don't want to admit that women dress in ways to attract them even if the way they dress is just downright awful. Women will dress in ways that elicit positive attention. If it means they wear revealing clothes, ugg boots, and yoga pants with short midriff tops, that's how they'll dress. I am not going to sit here and determine the Christianess of said girls even though their style of dress would be immodest IMO. But think about it-- if more guys gave women positive attention for dressing nicely, wearing clothes which covered them up more, and appearing ladylike and feminine, women would continue to dress that way.

People don't want to admit it, but men of all religious flavors love it when women dress like this:

Then, why aren't the women who dress like this getting the attention from men and receiving accolades for their modest style? It's because people don't really WANT modesty. We can sit here and complain and complain about grown adults being immodest (I don't think children should be dressing scantily) but the truth of the matter is we reward people for how they dress. If we keep rewarding people for showing lots of skin, that's what they'll continue to do.
Be careful, someone might say you're judging

I have to agree with you 100%!!!! Doesn't matter if they go to church or not. Modesty is way more beautiful.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM

I think before we go about complaining whether or not people are dressed modestly, we need to reward good behavior. Instead of this guy getting indignant about the immodest girls at church, pay attention to the modestly dresses ones. Those same girls are noticing how the revealing and tight-clothed girls are getting the male attention regardless of whether it's negative or positive. Pay attention to that-- people sometimes like any old attention, but it's better to reward good behavior.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM

3,066 posts, read 2,378,350 times
This is probably the funniest starting thread ever. Even more hilarious, most of the freakiest girls I know and girls who put out were also *gasp* Christian girls and Christian guys. My ex was raised in a christian household--his father was a deacon, his grandfather a pastor, his family had their own church that they built and that only had family. And when I say that this family full of "Christians" were doing more sinning than non-sinning I'm not exaggerating. They had sex, dressed provocatively, etc.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ee/ee8d...d2386f6827.jpg

lol

Old 02-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
This is probably the funniest starting thread ever. Even more hilarious, most of the freakiest girls I know and girls who put out were also *gasp* Christian girls and Christian guys. My ex was raised in a christian household--his father was a deacon, his grandfather a pastor, his family had their own church that they built and that only had family. And when I say that this family full of "Christians" were doing more sinning than non-sinning I'm not exaggerating. They had sex, dressed provocatively, etc.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ee/ee8d...d2386f6827.jpg

lol
I'm not surprised to hear that they came from often super-strict households or from families of religious elders. Their poor behavior doesn't nullify the entire faith, though.

I didn't grow up in the Christian faith yet believe modesty in behavior and dress is more enhancing than showing off cleavage and being "freaky."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty