U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,309,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The SBC (Southern Baptist Convention) is in New Orleans every year, and it is claimed that is among the wildest times in the city. They go there for a reason. They could pick a less "sinful" city, but they love "exchanging beads" there. You wouldn't believe how wild those SBC women get when they're drunk!
Most women get "wild" when drunk. Being a Christian does not change the physical results of consuming an over abundance of alcohol. That is why the Bible teaches that those who believe on the name of Christ (Christians) are not supposed to be filled with excess of wine and drink but instead be filled with the Holy Spirit. The city where the convention is held is irrelevant. There have been churches established according to Revelations 2 where Satan's seat is (his reigning throne here on the earth) so they were exposed to the highest level of human debauchery. However, there were some Christians who did not indulge in the lifestyle of the world around them nor indulged in sexual immorality. Those Christian men and women from SBC who go to New Orleans and get drunk do so because they have NOT died to their own sinful desires. They are still living to please THEMSELVES and their sensual DSIRES. Same as the Christian women and girls who dress very sexualized (revealing: see-thru, too short, too tight, showing cleavage, form revealing pants/tops showing every bump, jiggle, and crevice in the body).

Christians who have died to self and live for Christ could go to a convention every year in Las Vegas, San Francisco, New Orleans, Miami, Atlantic City, and Thailand (child sex tourism flourishes), yet they would never get drunk, high on drug, caught up in money or gambling scandals, sexual immorality nor pedophilia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 04:14 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,361,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
Ok, can I clarify the scripture you just slaughtered? I really hate looking at these posts and seeing how the scriptures get taken way out of context.

Here's what the scripture actually says, then I'll translate it for you...

Let me start with the last scripture because that's the KEY to all this!

1 Cor 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

See there? Our long hair is our glory. You may ask, why long hair? That's because it's a shame for a woman to cut it, therefore, by not cutting it her hair will grow long.

Now look...

1 Cor 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. 5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

For a man to have long hair it dishonoureth (= to dishonour, disgrace, to put to shame, make ashamed)
For a woman to have her head uncovered (= hair) is it also a disgrace and a shame. If her head was not covered by her long hair then it should also be cut off or shaven.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance - Shorn = "to have one's hair cut off, shaven".

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

I hope that helps.

Conclusion: A man must keep his hair cut and a woman must not cut hers. If neither do what is spoken in the scriptures they are have disgraced and shamed God.

Note: Trimming is the same as cutting. I've had several people ask me since I don't cut my hair why don't I just trim it?! The process is the same...cutting off the hair and removing it's length. If I'm going to trim it the Bible says to go ahead and be shorn and shaven. My hair is my glory, my covering. I will not shame myself and dishonor my Creator. For all the things God has done for me and given to me, the least I can do is honor him and live according to the word.
You know Paul was referring to how prostitutes would shave their heads and he was actually admonishing Christian women to look different from them, right? There is actually nothing that says it's a requirement for Christian women to never ever cut their hair. It's legalism 101.

If you want to go off about headcovering, why don't Christian women cover their heads in church anymore? It was a symbol of reverence and modesty, but people go up in arms about cutting a bit of hair? I call BS on that one. How convenient of you to ignore the rest of the passage where Paul is actually outlining the complementarian nature of women and men, along with the role of tradition. There's a lot more to it than how strand-cutting is so offensive.

Kudos to you if YOU do not want to cut your hair, but don't use poor exegesis as a means of "truth."

Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Wow.... What about split ends? Split ends can cause your hair to break anyway. Is this why some very religious woman have super super long hair?
SOME Christian women have long hair. Some women have short hair because it's attractive to their husbands and what they want, which is more important than what random people have to say.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 PM

439 posts, read 327,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Wow.... What about split ends? Split ends can cause your hair to break anyway. Is this why some very religious woman have super super long hair?
Honestly, everyone I know has split ends, doesn't matter the length. If split ends break off, then they break off on their own, not by cutting them. I keep my hair very nourished. If my hair is my glory, then I should treat it as such. I don't dye it or put any harsh chemicals in it. I am cautious of how much I curl it too. Hair wasn't made to uphold high temps like that. They will sooner or later break off or fry! Hair is a covering and protection. Your eyebrows and your eyelashes cover your eyes and protects your eyes from the dust and other things in the air. The hair in your nose protects your nose. Granted, there are some parts of our bodies that have hair when I wished there was none =) But hair on our body is a protective layer that "covers" skin. The part of our body that God wishes to keep holy is the hair on your head. That's easy enough for me. I CAN DO THAT!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:17 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,750,555 times
Paul tells us not to be “judging one another.” We must guard against ‘putting before a brother a stumbling block.’ Standards of what is acceptable may vary from land to land and culture to culture. What is acceptable in one time and place may be inappropriate in another. We should not stumble or offend others by wearing adornment that our culture associates with an objectionable lifestyle. Godly women do well to ask themselves: How does the community view what I wear? Are members of the congregation embarrassed, puzzled, or ashamed because of what I wear? Even if a Christian woman has a right to dress or groom in a certain manner, she will forgo that right if her style of grooming would be offensive.—1 Corinthians 10: 23, 24.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:18 PM

28,640 posts, read 18,180,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yoga pants are not "flesh" revealing (showing skin) but "form" revealing and that's just as bad as showing too much skin. Yoga pants and leggings are equivalent to wearing ankle-length black panties in public. It shows the outline and shape of the crotch, the separation of butt cheeks, every lump, bump, and jiggle. Outside of the home, gym, or yoga studio, IMO Yoga pants should not be worn in public and certainly not in church unless underneath a long blouse or tunic length top.

While we agree that it's not proper attire for church, we disagree on the rest. We also agree that leggings should be covered by a long shirt of some sort.... they are not pants.

I ran errands yesterday in yoga pants, sports bra, and t shirt? Why? Because it looked cute, was super comfortable, and yes, I had been doing yoga earlier.

Guys are having impure thoughts about women in from business suits to bikinis. That ain't never going to change.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-02-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
You know Paul was referring to how prostitutes would shave their heads and he was actually admonishing Christian women to look different from them, right? There is actually nothing that says it's a requirement for Christian women to never ever cut their hair. It's legalism 101.

If you want to go off about headcovering, why don't Christian women cover their heads in church anymore? It was a symbol of reverence and modesty, but people go up in arms about cutting a bit of hair? I call BS on that one. How convenient of you to ignore the rest of the passage where Paul is actually outlining the complementarian nature of women and men, along with the role of tradition. There's a lot more to it than how strand-cutting is so offensive.

Kudos to you if YOU do not want to cut your hair, but don't use poor exegesis as a means of "truth."
Wow, aren't you feisty. I was simply putting the scripture back into context. I didn't intentionally ignore the other part of the scripture because that was not the topic. I CAN go there if you'd like though, I don't have ANY problem doing that!

I never said someone should or should not cut their hair. Like I said, I was putting the scripture back into context. The only person I spoke of was me. Sorry you took such great offense.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
Wow, aren't you feisty. I was simply putting the scripture back into context. I didn't ignore the other part of the scripture because that was not the topic. I CAN go there if you'd like though, I don't have ANY problem doing that!

I never said someone should or should not cut their hair. Like I said, I was putting the scripture back into context. The only person I spoke of was me. Sorry you took such great offense.
Oh haha at least someone noticed I can be feisty, but the point is you did present it in a way that left it only up for a black-and-white view. Are the rest of us shaming God when we cut our hair?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Are the rest of us shaming God when we cut our hair?
That is not up to me to judge.

There are plenty of scriptures that can put me in my place. I'm really working hard on those! Especially patience! Nonetheless, it is what it is. When I come across a scripture that is hard to swallow, or a sermon that's hard to sit through and stings a little, then I know there's something I need to change. I'm flesh. All I can do is better myself!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Are the rest of us shaming God when we cut our hair?
I forgot to add...

This scripture is talking about praying and prophesying with your head covered. I don't think it's a heaven or hell issue, but for me, it's a big deal. How can I pray everyday knowing my head isn't covered by my glory? Does dishonoring God show Him that I don't love Him? Does that mean He will judge me for it later? Will that cause me to miss out on heaven?

The answer... I don't know. I can't answer my own questions, so I just live by the word because I'd rather glorify Him rather than face my worst fears.

Remember... This is all MY thinking, not a judgment to anyone else. MY OWN PERSONAL WALK WITH GOD, NO ONE ELSE'S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty