U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 AM

3,673 posts, read 3,251,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Like the title says, why are Nordic women so beautiful? Is it diet, genetics? Maybe the cold weather caused them to develop smaller more delicate facial features? Anyone know?
It's in the eye of the beholder.

I recently watched the 1967 Swedish classic I Am Curious (Yellow) on TCM. The star wasn't exactly "beautiful" nor were most of the everyday people featured in that film. I say this as a person of 25% Swedish and 25% Danish ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM

5,037 posts, read 5,515,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Cold=contracts
Heat=expands

That is actually true; we found ourselves for 3 months in Germany a few years ago during winter and I lost 8 pounds. When we came back home to Florida within a few months I got my 8 pounds back. Not thrilled about it, but because when it is really hot outside you're not so inclined to go out, so you end up indoors not doing much of anything. At least I am not inspired to exercise when it's hot.

But in Europe in general not just Sweden, they understand moderation much better than we do, and don't fry everything with tons of butter either!
I am not sure if that is correct. Most people I know gain more weight during the winter than summer. Cold temperatures make you hungry.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM

38,750 posts, read 37,911,931 times
First off, you do realize that your opinion is entirely subjective and isn't a fact, right....

Old 11-09-2013, 12:44 PM

54 posts, read 61,165 times
Nordic women are seen as beautiful by Americans because they fit the American ideal.

Look at the image of a typical American family, the man is a White male with Brown hair and the female is a Blonde with blue eyes. As a result Americans put Nordic women on a pedestal and dating/marrying a blonde is seen as a sign of success.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 PM

38,750 posts, read 37,911,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine The Great View Post
Nordic women are seen as beautiful by Americans because they fit the American ideal.

Look at the image of a typical American family, the man is a White male with Brown hair and the female is a Blonde with blue eyes. As a result Americans put Nordic women on a pedestal and dating/marrying a blonde is seen as a sign of success.
Maybe in your world.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:40 PM

2,731 posts, read 1,955,489 times
Interesting. What comes to men my husband is from nordic countries and is dark as night. Black hair, black eye brows, brown eyes and darker skin

Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 PM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I've often wondered why northern European women are heralded as so beautiful or the most desirable in the entire world. I personally find southern Italian and Spanish women to be the most beautiful women in the world. They usually have the nicest heads of thick dark shiny manes and low straight hairlines. I have always fancied gypsy looking women to white girls. Most Latin American women give white girls a good run for their money.

It's in the eye of the beholder. In defense of light hair/eye/skin women, perhaps my light eyed blonde northern euro blood lined mother and sister have forever tainted my views on women...

Cheers,
bolillo
I'm glad there are SOME out there fancy us "gypsy" types! I am of Spanish heritage, so I am brunette with brown eyes (yes, a low hairline, lol. And you are so right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's a good thing everyone doesn't want the same "vanilla!"

Old 11-09-2013, 03:08 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine The Great View Post

Maybe on the Brady Bunch in the 1970s

Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 PM

54 posts, read 61,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Maybe on the Brady Bunch in the 1970s
still that way

look at any fashion commercial with a guy and girl or perfume ad

blonde woman with black haired white male

Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,150,463 times
I'm a green eye dark haired , light skin Portuguese, French Italian and Jewish woman~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or