U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 PM

42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, you are.

'Accutane' is the common word for isotretinoin. Go to a doctor and you'll be discussing 'Accutane' (not 'isotretinoin') as an option. I know - I had exactly such a conversation with a physican yesterday.

Wrong again. My son went through the Accutane course earlier this year. My daughter will begin the course in a two-three months if her current Retin-A/antibiotic course does not work for her. In neither was was/is the acne in question the 'most disfiguring'.
That's nice.
I am a doctor, and most docs I know neither call it Accutane nor prescribe it willy-nilly.

But thanks for your anecdote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
Accutane/Sotret worked for me. I ultimately did 3 full treatments of "Accutane" and 1 theraputic treatment of Sotret for mild acne. I just wish it had been prescribed by my prior derms.

I tried/used ProActive and it was a waste. I preferred the Alpha Hydrox line which uses/inlcudes glycolic acid. Salicylic acid never worked for me.

The other product that I used/use when I start getting breakouts is Noxzema's Triple Clean which has Triclosan.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, you are.

'Accutane' is the common word for isotretinoin. Go to a doctor and you'll be discussing 'Accutane' (not 'isotretinoin') as an option. I know - I had exactly such a conversation with a physican yesterday.

Wrong again. My son went through the Accutane course earlier this year. My daughter will begin the course in a two-three months if her current Retin-A/antibiotic course does not work for her. In neither was was/is the acne in question the 'most disfiguring'.
Accutane is the trademarked brand name. Accutane is a product by Roche. A doctor using the term "Accutane" to describe another product is not only wrong, but illegal. There's quite a bit of precedent out there regarding the incorrect use of trademarks. The most common being related to restaurants using "coke" to describe cola. KO has won multiple lawsuits against restaurants regarding this incorrect use.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,629,872 times
Water, water & more water plus other regimens.

I tried Proactive it broke me out even more.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM
JL

7,311 posts, read 11,478,620 times
What about breakouts on the back? What is a good one?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,556,796 times
Adding zinc to the diet will deal with a great many issues like that.
Cold Eeze has zinc in it and works very well.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,506,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Is it Proactiv that is advertised all the time? If you want to help him, get some. It works or did for my child. Maybe that is why it is the best selling product for acne.
This worked well for my son also.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:37 PM

3,533 posts, read 2,171,725 times
You know, when I was a teen, I found a product at the supermarket called Packers Tar Soap, I worked fantastic. Just use it like regular soap, like $3 a bar, the crap that this stuff would wash off my face and back was disturbing looked like a swamp in New Jersey in the sink. Seriously, give it a try, I have some here at the house now, I know they still sell it.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,550,354 times
Spoon full of tumeric in water as a daily drink, baking soda and lemon water paste on face for 1 min. 3 times a week. That cleared up my daughters face finally. That was after she went to the derm and tried what they had with no results.
A friend told me to try this and the results wiped the smerk right off my face. She also stopped drinking soda and drank lots of water.
No harm in trying it, it could work for your son but it takes a few weeks.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
good suggestions..

my son had battled break outs for most of high school,,,he took the typical creams , even a few prescriptions,,

i looked up some alternative cures online and there were thousands of folks saying apple cider vinegar works the best
look it up

i sent this to my son in college
and he was very upbeat- but said- i finally found something that works- duct tape

i remember reading something about it for zits, but kinda laughed it off...but somehow he tried it and says its works great-look it up

for me- when i was young, i would take a very hot water compress, place it on the developing pimple,,,and then use rubbing alcohol -that worked good- but i never had the huge break outs, my son has
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty