U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,956,874 times

Advertisements

The absolute most important thing is to not reinfect the skin, by touching it with septic (meaning 'not sterile') cloth (towels which have been used since laundering, t-shirts...), or anything else (hands...) that might get germs into those pores.

It's time to lay in a supply of smallish, thinnish, white cotton towels for your kids to use, which can be laundered with bleach. And the kids need an abundant supply of bleachable teeshirts, for changing frequently, in Summer. NO PULLING UP THE TEESHIRT TO WIPE OFF THE FACE!!!! Plenty of paper towels need to be handy, for wiping off sweat.

Adolescent males who are shaving generally do better shaving dry skin with an electric shaver, than by using soap, shaving cream, and a razor. A kindly person gave my Acne-ridden Husband an electric shaver, when he was a freshman in college, and the difference was amazing.

Beyond that, it's time to ban Sugar from your home. (including processed foods with hidden sugars, such as pasta sauces) And it's time to start eliminating the bad fats present in most modern homes. Cold-processed oils, added to dishes AFTER cooking, are the way to go. And having a 'Rawist' Vegan meal, at least once a day, will help a lot. Raw fruits and vegetables confer all sorts of subtle benefits, which will help your kids' bodies regulate themselves - reducing the severity of Acne.

I googled around, and found this excellent short article on the Holistic approach to Acne. Natural Healing: Acne - Whole Living Daily : Whole Living

Personally, I think washing the face with soap does more harm than good. A warm shower will clean well enough. The article is right about Tea Tree Oil, too.

And it's important to recognize that immunosuppression has a great deal to do with Acne. Learn all the common immunosuppressants. Overheating and Sleep Deprivation lead that list, where kids are concerned. Sugar is a HUGE immunosuppressant. Alcohol is another (hopefully, this is irrelevant, at this point in your kids' lives).

If you are not already into Healthy Eating, this site is, in my opinion, the best place to start. I'll link to their list of 'Healthiest Foods': The World's Healthiest Foods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,191,475 times
Don't know if he plays helmet sports, but I also found that boiling my chin straps and wiping down my helmets with oxy or other anti acne wipes helped.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:51 PM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Don't know if he plays helmet sports, but I also found that boiling my chin straps and wiping down my helmets with oxy or other anti acne wipes helped.
Good point. He should be wiping off his phone, for that matter.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:07 PM

852 posts, read 2,476,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I get Retin-A regularly and it IS covered when used for acne - that is a medical use and not cosmetic (cosmetic is anti-wrinkle). You just need a special authorization from the derm. I had no trouble getting it.
Nope, not covered on my plan acne or otherwise. Specifically excluded for any reason.

This a great conversation though.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,549 times
If his acne isn't very bad his pediatrician can give him benzoyl peroxide (gel or wash) or clindamycin (topical solution). They can even give minocycline which is an oral antibiotic. I had good results the first time I used minocycline with no side effects but this last time I got a weird reaction where if I had an itch and scratched it it would welt up like crazy. I stopped taking that asap and now just use the topical stuff.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 955 times
Default teenage acne

[quote=Whywontthisjustwork;32124278]Accutane. It's like magic.[/
I find that proactive really does work very well on acne.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 PM

34,566 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post
Well my son is 14 and has finally entered the wonderful world of pimples. I really haven't dealt with acne for 20 years. So my question is: What is the latest, most effective treatment for teenage pimples? Is it still clearasil or Oxy? What works best for you or your teens? Thanks
Dermatologist, silly. ASAP.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,763,334 times
I noticed a noticeable reduction in my acne when I cut out dairy from my diet and when I incorporated more spinach in my diet. Spinach is really good for skin health.

Of course I realize what works for one doesn't work for all, but if your son consumes a lot of dairy, that could be a contributing factor. Long-term Research Links Dairy and High-Sugar Foods to Acne | SkinInc.com I remember being a teen and hearing TLC (back when they were more focused on health programming) announcing a link between dairy and acne and thinking, "Nah. That doesn't apply to me" but sure enough, it did.

I recommend using any over the counter products for a good 4-6 weeks before throwing in the towel. I went through SO many products as a teenager, giving up after 2-3 weeks.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 2,856,947 times
Stay away from Accutane...it's a wicked drug that doesn't work for many. I was on it twice. Ugh.

I've heard that laser treatment can do wonders. Not sure if there's a minimum age for that though.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:34 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,656,439 times
Try to get him to avoid excess sugars and make sure he's armed with vitamin C and zinc. That will help him through the cold and flu season, as well. My kids didn't suffer from really bad breakouts, but perhaps that had something to do with the fact that I regulated the amount of junk food that my kids ate and at the first sign of zits, they applied Tea Tree oil with a Q-Tip. There are many different herbs out there which work against bacteria...please look for an alternative source, rather than making prescription medication your first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty