U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM

204 posts, read 431,749 times

Advertisements

Well my son is 14 and has finally entered the wonderful world of pimples. I really haven't dealt with acne for 20 years. So my question is: What is the latest, most effective treatment for teenage pimples? Is it still clearasil or Oxy? What works best for you or your teens? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 PM

138 posts, read 109,609 times
Accutane. It's like magic.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,823,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post
Well my son is 14 and has finally entered the wonderful world of pimples. I really haven't dealt with acne for 20 years. So my question is: What is the latest, most effective treatment for teenage pimples? Is it still clearasil or Oxy? What works best for you or your teens? Thanks
None of that worked for my 14-year-old son, but Cetaphil is the wash recommended by the doctor we use for skin issues. No Clearasil or Oxy was recommended, though my children have used Oxy wipes and seem to think they do some good.

Anyway, my son was put on Retin-A and an antibiotic (I forget which). That didn't work - out came the big guns: Accutane. Fortunately, he noticed no side effects save for dry skin. And it worked. Unfortunately, it took a five-month course, entailed monthly doctor appointments were inconvenent, and it was expensive (the price varied between $400+ and $600+ per month). Fortunately, insurance covered most of it.

Now I'm going through the process with my 17-year-old daughter, hoping the Retin-A/antibiotic combination works (Accutane is a much bigger issue with girls/women, due to a very high risk of birth defects in the event of pregnancy).

Good luck to you and your son!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywontthisjustwork View Post
Accutane. It's like magic.
Side effects are horrible. I think they pulled it off the market.

First line will probably be a benzoyl peroxide. Then you might move to topical retinoids.

A LOT of people I know actually were helped by that Proactive stuff you can buy OTC.

Also consider taking him to get a facial a few times a year.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM

138 posts, read 109,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

First line will probably be a benzoyl peroxide. Then you might move to topical retinoids.

A LOT of people I know actually were helped by that Proactive stuff you can buy OTC.

Also consider taking him to get a facial a few times a year.

I thought they pulled it too but I'm about to go on it again after six years it's just not called Accutane anymore.
The side effects were my skin was horribly dry and lips would always bleed, etc. however when I started at 16 my face was completely covered. Not one clear spot on my face. By the time I was done my skin was literally perfect (don't pick the scars!). More strangers than I can count commented on it. Very very worth it. I did have to take a blood test every month though and the great results took two sessions , about a year

Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM

427 posts, read 760,466 times
Quote:
Well think again. You're incorrect.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Well think again. You're incorrect.
No, I am not.

Treating severe acne: Accutane is off the US market, but Claravis and generic version remain

Accutane is gone. The compound isotretinoin is available through different companies with different names now.

It is still only recommended for the most disfiguring (ie, nodulocystic) acne.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:24 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,823,128 times
Quote:
No, I am not.

Treating severe acne: Accutane is off the US market, but Claravis and generic version remain

Accutane is gone. The compound isotretinoin is available through different companies with different names now.
Yes, you are.

'Accutane' is the common word for isotretinoin. Go to a doctor and you'll be discussing 'Accutane' (not 'isotretinoin') as an option. I know - I had exactly such a conversation with a physican yesterday.

Quote:
It is still only recommended for the most disfiguring (ie, nodulocystic) acne.
Wrong again. My son went through the Accutane course earlier this year. My daughter will begin the course in a two-three months if her current Retin-A/antibiotic course does not work for her. In neither was was/is the acne in question the 'most disfiguring'.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM

5,382 posts, read 3,867,389 times
The oral antibiotic might be Minocycline.

Accutane is off the market but generic versions are still available . Most Dermatologists use it for patients with cystic ( the scar causing) acne.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,125,167 times
Is it Proactiv that is advertised all the time? If you want to help him, get some. It works or did for my child. Maybe that is why it is the best selling product for acne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty