U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM

706 posts, read 911,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I know this might sound harsh, but some women simply don't look good wearing those tight fitting yoga pants. Big news item today about some comment made by the co-founder of the company Luluemon made saying some women's body shapes are a good fit.

Sorry, he is absolutely right. If you look like 5 pounds of meat shoved into a 1 pound capacity ziplock bag, it just doesn't look right. Yeah, you can always stuff more of something into a bag that stretches but there is a point when it just bulges out in, well, bulges. It doesn't look good. I know, who is to say but those looking are to say.

That doesn't mean burlap sack are the order of the day but there are alternatives to looking like an overstuffed sausage casing.

We've become so sensitive about reality that even mentioning that someone might not fit well into some clothes reaps the wrath. When it doesn't go on easy, it probably wasn't meant to go on.
This! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
What gets me about Lululemon yoga pants is that they're super expensive, and yet people complain about pilling, splitting, sizing, fading, fit, etc. In my world, if I pay $100 for something it should be of much better quality than the yoga pants I bought at Target 10 years ago for $15 that are still in great shape.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM

748 posts, read 1,356,127 times
Why does one NEED yoga pants OR sporting clothes to work out? I've went walking in everything from flip flops, to uggs, to sweets and jeans and polos and tees.....I've never bought any "workout" clothes including yoga pants and I exercise just fine. Shoot I've even used work our equipment without having "workout" clothes on or "workout" shoes on.

You know what I think, since so many people want to be nitpicky about who should wear what...I think we all need to go buy some "too small" yoga pants and make a few people mad. If mr lulumon or whatever the heck he is feels to need to think only certain people can wear his clothes....let's all go buy some and prove him wrong. I have no idea what a lulumon is, honestly could care less....however we should all be able to wear what we want when we want it...someone elses opinion be damned.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,075,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why should he produce Yoga pants for all sizes? Luluemon is a business and they have a niche product, making it for everyone wasn't part of the design.

I find it amazing that people who say things like fashion police are the first to tell a business how to run it. Can you say business police but shame on me?

For the record, I don't really care if someone wants to spray on their clothes to cover acreage, that is their choice. My comment was about someone have the guts to say things the way they think instead of making some up nonsense to not hurt anyone's feelings.

Too often, people can't make a comment on the off-limits topics, overweight being one of them. The word "fat" is practically vulgarity as if saying someone is obese is somehow a kinder way to say it. Society took a downward turn when it became a no-no to say something directly and no sugar coat it for the speech police.

Shame on me, yeah because some women can't fit into Luluemon yoga pants without looking like air balloons filled with wet cement, never mind they are the ones putting on the pants and stuffing their faces.

Hats off though, to the heaviest of them that stretch on anything but then also even attempt to do something about it. Of course, the few (and is is relatively few) who have issues beyond their control are exempt from my comments. Those people deserve compassion, understanding and the encouragement of all. Yes, you can tell who that is not; not the ones at the all you can eat buffets or the ones sitting down to 5 bowls of whatever they can stuff onto a plate.

Strange isn't it, that those who chastise anyone who talks about people being "obese" are often the same ones who never hesitate to complain about smokers. Both are bad for your health right? As for the health of others, ever have someone super sized sit on your thigh in an airplane?
So how are you gonna defend your argument with people like me who don't complain about smokers unless I get affected by second hand smoke? Everybody deserves compassion

Even people like you Mack Knife deserve compassion. You have some unresolved anger that you are projecting on these overweight people that wear yoga pants. There are a lot things in the universe that many of us consider unnatractive but we don't rant about it. Do you tell an ugly bug you see on the street that you think she is unnatractive and that she needs to get out of your sight? No, you ignore it and keep on going, that is not "having the guts to tell it as it is". That is simply stupid unproductive behavior.

You feel as if these people wronged you for not following what you consider the rules of fashion. You speak as if you were a victim of their actions. You sound angry, emotional, defensive and self-righteous when you speak about this subject.

Why instead of feeling compassion for people that are struggling with weight you want to be so harsh and tell them things that are gonna sadden them. Because you are angry at what you consider "lack of fairness". Everybody should wear the clothes you think are appropiate. If you think you are helping you are not. No one listens to those who offend them and show little empathy for them. Being judgmental and having a higher than thou attitude is not an effective way to connect to an audience.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:42 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Bodies of all shapes and sizes are capable of doing yoga.
I was going to say exactly this. Sadly I can't rep you! According to many posters here I should "skip the yoga pants" based on my appearance. Too bad for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What gets me about Lululemon yoga pants is that they're super expensive, and yet people complain about pilling, splitting, sizing, fading, fit, etc. In my world, if I pay $100 for something it should be of much better quality than the yoga pants I bought at Target 10 years ago for $15 that are still in great shape.

LOL! Yup! Totally dumb. I have some 10 year old navy pants still holding strong! No need to pay for overpriced stuff that isn't nicer. But it is OK, Lululemon made id clear they don't want my business anyway. I'll head over to Athleta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Why does one NEED yoga pants OR sporting clothes to work out? I've went walking in everything from flip flops, to uggs, to sweets and jeans and polos and tees.....I've never bought any "workout" clothes including yoga pants and I exercise just fine. Shoot I've even used work our equipment without having "workout" clothes on or "workout" shoes on.
Personally I like workout cloths better because they wick sweat and tend to be comfy (and have drawstrings to stay in place). I used to used tee shirts for workout tops, but now I get the workout tops too. I like them better. And well, I like to wear cute outfits in real life, so my workout gear should match my style too. (Although, I am still looking for fun colors and patterns in workout gear too...particularly the pants!). But what really bugs me about workout clothing? I wish more tops would not have built in bras. Or more brands would actually make tops to fit women who are bustier.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:58 AM

12,636 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post

You know what I think, since so many people want to be nitpicky about who should wear what...I think we all need to go buy some "too small" yoga pants and make a few people mad. If mr lulumon or whatever the heck he is feels to need to think only certain people can wear his clothes....let's all go buy some and prove him wrong. I have no idea what a lulumon is, honestly could care less....however we should all be able to wear what we want when we want it...someone elses opinion be damned.
A few factors like comfort and function.

Walking is not working out; try going for a run in flip flops and jeans. Try squatting in jeans and see just how much that sucks.

Also shoes do matter, I could not imagine going for a run in sandals or my dress shoes, just as I cannot imagine doing squats in running shoes.

Same with the tight fitting yoga pants; all those movements yoga does, it is good not to have clothes that will prevent flexibility and comfort and some of those angles.

Do people go overboard? Why of course, I jsut have a simple Hanes white shirt for working out in, but there are many people that go all out with matching outfits, shoes, etc like it is a fashion show, all the power to them.

"I have no idea what a lulumon is"

"however we should all be able to wear what we want when we want it...someone elses opinion be damned."

This is coming from a story earlier if I recall regarding complaints to the company about not making larger sizes; it was the larger people complaining first about the lack of sizes available, though there are plenty of other companies to choose from.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Because people do not buy the right size. There is an assumption that every company makes every fit, which is not true. Some people get so caught up in the brand, they cannot admit that the brand does not make clothing that is a right fit.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:38 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,811,795 times
First off - I agree. The yoga pant trend IMO is annoying. I see women wearing them to work! I used to work in a professional office with a dress code, and women would try to wear them and pass them off as slacks.

Most women I see wearing them are doing errands, office, movies, etc. They are NOT working out in them. I never wear them - I work out in other things. I don't like yoga pants, really. Most women I see wearing them NEVER workout, they are hanging out of them, the pants are too small for them, trying to pass them off as date night pants or something. They are usually suburban housewives who have adopted them as some sort of "uniform" because they are too lazy to wear real clothes.

And I also do agree - why should you or anyone care? Although it does get old seeing buttcracks, muffin tops, and the like hanging out. And YES - this guy can manufacture to whoever he wants. I agree with that. Layne Bryant doesn't make clothes in my size - do I get all huffy about that?

BUT - most women do have thighs that touch, at even at smaller sizes. And I thought the issue was, these pants had piling and holes that came in really quick, and I agree 100% with THIS:

Quote:
If you are going to pay that outrageous price, it doesn't matter if your thighs touch, your pants should hold up against that. My thighs touch, even at size 5, and I have NEVER had holes or piling there. I have $10 pants that never have this issue - SO - if you are going to pay for some supposed top brand quality pants who tout themselves as some AMAZING, superior product, then they better damn well not pile or fade, etc! They better be outlasting $15 Old Navy pants, but apparantly THEY ARE NOT. And I know plenty of women size 5, 6, 7, etc who have thighs that DO touch, so... therefore some of the points about "it's all the women's fault for being a size 18 trying to wear size 10" are completely MOOT.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM

303 posts, read 402,946 times
Quote:
Agreed. Their pants run anywhere from $82 to $108. Geez, what a waste of money for clothes you're just going to get sweaty and gross in, if you're working out hard enough that is. Granted, my running shoes were pretty expensive (about $100) but I have funky feet and I run about 25-30 miles a week so they're worth it. But, pants you can totally find for so much cheaper. My aunt even teaches yoga and won't spend that much for a pair of their pants. I wouldn't have bought them before anyway.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Most women I see wearing them are doing errands, office, movies, etc. They are NOT working out in them.
That can be said for many people; wearing things associated with exercise, yet are not exercising.

I can go walk out in the street now and see people wearing for example, running shoes and basketball shorts. I can say numerous people wear running shoes (sneakers, what ever you want to call them), yet are not exercising, or ever exercising. Same with the basketball shorts and whole sport outfit, wearing but not exercising.

But it comes down to; are they to/from exercising? Is it also a fashion trend? Jeans at one time were just for working in, now they are considered a "normal" part of fashion. Same with running type shoes, now people wear them all of the time for comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty