U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 14,732,281 times
Reputation: 10227

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I have not read the entire thread so I may be repeating what others have said.
Yes, society values appearance - there is no doubt about this. But many individual women value a man's personality much more. I have fallen in love with a number of men who are not attractive at all - because they are kind, confident, funny and pay attention to me. It's not love at first sight - it often evolves from friendships after you get to know them. So I recommend focusing your life on making friends. Focus on others rather than yourself. Find people with common interests. Appreciate others and the rewards will come your way.
Also I bet you are better looking than you say you are. Keeping your weight in bounds is probably the one positive thing you can do - not just for appearance but it shows you are taking care of yourself.
In another thread, the OP says he plans to be a fashion model. So I don't think we're talking some sort of hideous deformity or flat-out (physical, that is...) unattractiveness in his case.

Is it true that certain Fashion Industries recruit certain looks for Male Models? (Armani vs Hollister vs Abercrombie)

Quote:
I am looking to get into male modeling and I want to get an idea. Looks wise I am over 6 ft tall, 15% bodyfat (look to lowering it), and even though I have a round face I do look to getting surgery to get it fixed.

 
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,764 posts, read 2,635,539 times
Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
In another thread, the OP says he plans to be a fashion model. So I don't think we're talking some sort of hideous deformity or flat-out (physical, that is...) unattractiveness in his case.

Is it true that certain Fashion Industries recruit certain looks for Male Models? (Armani vs Hollister vs Abercrombie)
Wow that's really sad. I really like round faces too!
 
Old 11-10-2013, 09:58 AM
 
54 posts, read 61,256 times
Reputation: 37
I laughed at the statement where the person said that if I woke up tomorrow as a super handsome guy I would feel the same way. No I would not lol, no I would not.

I would get so much validation and respect from society that my depression will be cured and I would no longer even obsess about it. Plastic surgery is very much in my future because I know the value of looks in today's society.

Generation Y is much more shallow than any of the past generations.
 
Old 11-10-2013, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,878 posts, read 28,170,320 times
Reputation: 26003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Wow that's really sad. I really like round faces too!
Same here!


I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
 
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 AM
 
7,282 posts, read 8,390,715 times
Reputation: 11407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine The Great View Post
say he doesn't have the strong jawline, his nose is big, and his face is round

can this man overcome genetics and become top tier in the looks department?
No. What he can do though is put on display his attempts to do so and in the process make sure everyone knows how shallow they are in personality, self esteem and those other characteristics that really attract others.

Notice how you used the word "overcome" and not "improve"? Try improving what you have with what you have and that gains attraction. Everything else puts you in the same category as a breast implant or padded asspants.
 
Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 AM
 
54 posts, read 61,256 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
No. What he can do though is put on display his attempts to do so and in the process make sure everyone knows how shallow they are in personality, self esteem and those other characteristics that really attract others.

Notice how you used the word "overcome" and not "improve"? Try improving what you have with what you have and that gains attraction. Everything else puts you in the same category as a breast implant or padded asspants.
translation: you hate people that get surgery to improve themselves because you are too scared or poor to do so yourself
 
Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,878 posts, read 28,170,320 times
Reputation: 26003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine The Great View Post
translation: you hate people that get surgery to improve themselves because you are too scared or poor to do so yourself
No, the reality is most people that get surgery to "solve" problems fail to realize that surgery isn't a cure for the underlying problem. Plastic surgery isn't a magic bullet to happiness, relationships or life improvement.


I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
 
Old 11-10-2013, 01:33 PM
 
11,711 posts, read 16,463,708 times
Reputation: 16436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine The Great View Post
And again people misunderstood the entire post of mines. I am not trying to get good looks for women, I already attract women but I am doing them for a bigger picture. Modeling contracts and being known as the good looking guy by society. So please read before you guys spout more nonsense.
If you think a nose job gets you a modeling career - get two:>)
 
Old 11-10-2013, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,802,827 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine The Great View Post
I laughed at the statement where the person said that if I woke up tomorrow as a super handsome guy I would feel the same way. No I would not lol, no I would not.

I would get so much validation and respect from society that my depression will be cured and I would no longer even obsess about it. Plastic surgery is very much in my future because I know the value of looks in today's society.

Generation Y is much more shallow than any of the past generations.
I would have severe reservations about dating someone who got plastic surgery because they felt they were ugly. And no, I don't care how 'good' you would look afterwards. You may want to keep that in mind.

My guy had some sort of septum realignment surgery a few months ago (just before we started dating) and said he had the opportunity to get a real 'nose job' at the same time...I'm soooo glad he didn't because I love his big roman nose.
 
Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 PM
 
173 posts, read 349,077 times
Reputation: 179
A clean, well-dressed, well-educated, confident man can go a long way - even without a strong jaw line or perfect nose.
As far as plastic surgery, I have to say that it can be as much of a liability as a bonus. Don't forget that if you plan to marry and have kids that you will be passing on the same poor jawline, large nose, and physical insecurities that you were born with, and that is probably something that women would want to know pretty early on in the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top