U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 02:06 PM

60 posts, read 124,985 times

Advertisements

So maybe I phrased it wrong, sorry. But when I see receptionists, waiters/waitresses, front desk people, bank people dress 'down' not in professional manner but more in modern mainstream fashion its so irritating to me.
I am not old, only 31. But I do have a conservative side to me. I know its awesome to express your individuality and uniqueness but when I see it a professional company or attending customers its very awkward and out of place to me . Maybe I am wrong and maybe times will change and in 50 years it will be totally normal and I will look back to my attitude of today in the future and go ''...but today I feel its a little inappropriate. This is my mindset now and has been for long time. I went to dinner and our waitress had massive eye liner with sharp winged tip (you girls know what I am talking about), bright pink lipstick and two ear cuffs and tattoos on her neck! Okay if it was Saturday night and saw her at a bar/club I would think she was hot and stylish . Honestly I dig her style because I wear makeup like that too when I go out and paint the town red with my friends. Another is I saw a girl at a medical office, she was front desk receptionist, tattoos on her arms, lip piercing, eyebrow piercing and hell of a lot of eye makeup...holy crap! And working for a doctor???
I get it is the norm in fashion retail places...those are not the places I am bugged about I am talking about professional places.
When I go to work I wear professional outfit (suits/pants, skirts). Believe me no one at work has any idea what I really wear on weekends or when I go out. And that's the way I like it. Am I the only one who is like this? I consider myself a progressive person but maybe I am not as progressive as I believe I am!
btw I work in a museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 02:19 PM

12,637 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Yet another "I hate tattoos and piercings (and throw in a lot of make up)" rant.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:20 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
My husband worked in a couple of museums. It is a much more conservative, stodgy atmosphere and much more resistant to change than the rest of the world. If other workplaces are starting to allow individuals a little freedom to express their individual style, it could be another 50 years before museums decide to follow suit

Some cities also have more of a reputation for tattoos and piercings...in Austin, for example, it's pretty common and many employers allow it.

Also, a lot of restaurants unless it is a very formal place like to have waitstaff with interesting/distinctive looks or style.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
Meh...I'm 55 and it doesn't bother me at all. There are things I get irritated about but others' choice of makeup and fashion sense sure isn't something that bothers me. As long as the individual is clean and appropriately groomed and mainly, does their job competently.

I recently had a physical and the young woman that drew blood samples, hooked up the EKG and all that other stuff they do had a neck tattoo. "Professional" looking....well, no; neck tattoos are somewhat ghetto I guess. But she was personable, pleasant, efficient and got the job done.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband worked in a couple of museums. It is a much more conservative, stodgy atmosphere and much more resistant to change than the rest of the world. If other workplaces are starting to allow individuals a little freedom to express their individual style, it could be another 50 years before museums decide to follow suit
What kind of museums? Everyone I know who works in a museum is extremely fashion forward. They accessorize like crazy--shoes, scarves, glasses, jewelry tights, etc.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:14 PM

60 posts, read 124,985 times
You guys are making me change my mind on what I wrote .

I am not anti-tattoo and piercings...In fact I have 16 holes...I just minimize my piercings to maybe 3 at work...! I have a small tattoo on my back, no one at work knows I have one.

I work in an art museum and I completely agree its a fashion forward environment. Art people are very into fashion!!! For example my coworker was in a punk rock band for 10 years way back until late '90s, he definitely has the punk ethos still of course but doesn't go to work with his Mohawk, studs on his face and ripped shirt. I know for a fact he still dresses like his old punk rock days on the weekends as he casually still plays music. However, he has a pretty high position in the museum so I don't think it really matter that much what he wears. I suspect he is smart enough to know that at work he must maintain professionalism and when he plays music/not working he dress as his real self!
I just feel some people I've seen in customer service look more as if they are going out to a club!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM

12,424 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
. Am I the only one who is like this? I consider myself a progressive person but maybe I am not as progressive as I believe I am!
btw I work in a museum.
I doubt that you're the only one who thinks like that. Personally I welcome it..It's time people quit judging others by the way they dress, cause it has absolutely nothing to do with whether they can do the job right or not.
I'd agree with your last sentence that says "maybe I'm not as progressive as I believe I am".

Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM

12,424 posts, read 14,553,508 times
november4...ask yourself if you'd rather have a lousy doctor wearing a suit treat you, or a very good doctor who wears jeans and a flannel shirt to work? (mine does).

Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 AM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
So maybe I phrased it wrong, sorry. But when I see receptionists, waiters/waitresses, front desk people, bank people dress 'down' not in professional manner but more in modern mainstream fashion its so irritating to me.
I am not old, only 31. But I do have a conservative side to me. I know its awesome to express your individuality and uniqueness but when I see it a professional company or attending customers its very awkward and out of place to me . Maybe I am wrong and maybe times will change and in 50 years it will be totally normal and I will look back to my attitude of today in the future and go ''...but today I feel its a little inappropriate. This is my mindset now and has been for long time. I went to dinner and our waitress had massive eye liner with sharp winged tip (you girls know what I am talking about), bright pink lipstick and two ear cuffs and tattoos on her neck! Okay if it was Saturday night and saw her at a bar/club I would think she was hot and stylish . Honestly I dig her style because I wear makeup like that too when I go out and paint the town red with my friends. Another is I saw a girl at a medical office, she was front desk receptionist, tattoos on her arms, lip piercing, eyebrow piercing and hell of a lot of eye makeup...holy crap! And working for a doctor???
I get it is the norm in fashion retail places...those are not the places I am bugged about I am talking about professional places.
When I go to work I wear professional outfit (suits/pants, skirts). Believe me no one at work has any idea what I really wear on weekends or when I go out. And that's the way I like it. Am I the only one who is like this? I consider myself a progressive person but maybe I am not as progressive as I believe I am!
btw I work in a museum.
OP, do you realize that none of the examples you gave mention what the women were wearing? You're setting up a topic to be about fashion and style, but your rant is all about tattoos, piercings and makeup. Do you want to talk about clothing styles, or do you want to rant about tattoos and piercings? Make up your mind.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What kind of museums? Everyone I know who works in a museum is extremely fashion forward. They accessorize like crazy--shoes, scarves, glasses, jewelry tights, etc.
Art museums.

Maybe it's different here, or different for the men. But I had to ban button-up v-neck sweaters and sweater vests from hubby's wardrobe until he turns 80. He was working with a bunch of old men and picking up their habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty