Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 AM

204 posts, read 316,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I have wanted to ask this for a while, but held back because I figured the answer would come in the other mens shorts threads. While the trend has been for men to wear long, baggy shorts to the knee and below, I have felt more comfortable in mid-thigh length or slightly longer shorts, but above the knee. I am NOT talking about upper thigh length. I have read several things online about men who choose to wear shorter shorts and the constant harassment they face for doing so, from people laughing to making comments to even taking pictures and posting them online. In most of the posts I have read the person claimed that it was a young female making fun of them. In my personal experience, I have overheard rude comments made from one person to another and have had people giggle. I would say that with 1 exception, the people were all female and usually late teens to about 30. I don't mean to bring race into it, but most have been Hispanic and Black females. Some of the posters on the sites that I read stated that also. The incident that took place today is what inspired me to ask this question. It was very warm today where I am, so I decided to wear mid-thigh shorts. I noticed in the parking lot of a business that a young woman was looking at me and when I was walking back into the store, I turned around and there she had her phone, turned sideways, up to eye level and taking a picture of me. I ask for respectful replies only, but unless I am mistaken, why is it that a lot of women have a real problem with men wearing regular shorts. Notice I didn't say all women because I know that it is certainly not the case.
Sounds like you live in a ghetto area. In Europe wearing shorts below your knees is viewed as low class. When I see people wearing shorts below their knees I assume they can't afford clothes that fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
There are two Americas, now. In White, Middle-to-Upper-Class America, shorts above the knee are perfectly acceptable. Colors in menswear are acceptable. Well-fitted clothes are acceptable. In fact, the trend among the higher classes of athletic young white guys is for shorter shorts. It sets them apart from "thuggish" guys.

For the "others" (people in bad neighborhoods, or people who belong in bad neighborhoods), long shorts, shapeless clothing, and colorless grey/black clothing seems to reflect fearfulness and insecurity. All of the current Body Image hyper-insecurity in lower class males (including the white ones) is symptomatic of deteriorating social conditions and changing demographics in America.

Believe me: if there's truly a "majority" of young women where you live, who disapprove of above-the-knee shorts, they're the kind of women whose brothers think it's cool to push dogs into the street, to be run-over. In other words, you need a change of address, not a change in your clothing. And by "young", are you thinking in terms of still in highschool? Highschool girls live in extremely small worlds, totally ruled by conformity. Their opinions are utterly valueless. Just comfort yourself with the sure knowledge that those little skanks will soon be on welfare, and ballooning to two and three hundred pounds - within the next decade. It's amazing how quickly women like that become unattractive and over-the-hill. Fried food and sugary sodas will make their skin bad. They'll be so ugly and pitiful and unwanted... Let them have their little laughs while they can. Very soon, they'll know nothing but sadness and desperation.
This is spot on.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Are old women in shorts yuk too?
I hate shorts, only children look good in them.. the most unflattering fashion unless a woman has great legs.

Last edited by dizzybint; 05-01-2014 at 05:45 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 AM

Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
What looks are you comparing when you say they dont? Or is it that youre just used to the half pants that men wear today and are frightened of change?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:31 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
You know when I read some of these posts and women say they don't find men's legs attractive, I wonder what exactly these women find attractive in a man or if they even find men attractive at all. Some of them would probably be happy if men became extinct. Imagine if men found women's bodies unattractive too even the hot ones?
I am very appreciative of a man with a good set of legs wearing a pair of mid-thigh cut off jeans.

But then, I am 60, so I am used to seeing men wearing mid thigh {or higher} shorts and cutoffs.

I think it is only the younger women who have never known anything but the below the knee look....which I think is hideous, BTW......and not near as cool as wearing mid thigh.....which is kinda the idea of shorts in the first place.

I feel sorry for today's men who wear their shorts below the knees, like Justin Bieber.....not only do they look VERY UNFLATTERING.....they look HOT....as in sweating hot....not sexy hot!

{NO WAY was I implying that Justin Bieber is a man.}

Old 05-02-2014, 01:02 AM

309 posts, read 348,636 times
Funny thing is, my old high school dress code was 3" above the knee was as short as you could go. That is the magic number for me even to this day. No shorter, NO LONGER!! JB looks like a freaking tool up there. Wonder if he's trying out for the Crips or Bloods? Looks that way.

My 3"..............

striking distance movie pics - Bing Images

Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 AM

784 posts, read 1,980,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegan20 View Post
It doesn't look good for men.
Why not? I mean, a heterosexual woman will detest the sight of a man's thighs, but will think nothing of, or even think another woman in the shortest of shorts looks good.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
I'm not sure what area in Florida you're talking about, but fashion trends here aren't much different than other parts of the country regardless of what yould like to think.

If you're a man showing off your knees and above with your shorts , folks are going to assume either you're looking for another man to love, or you're one of the old timers that still live your glory days. Perhaps you'll just be something comical for others to joke about while your back is turned.

Either way no big deal... The world keeps turning. Perhaps shave or wax your legs while you're at it.
Masculine? Trends do change like the wind. Sometimes following trends just make someone look really stupid. Really, really stupid.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:02 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
At my High School you could wear just about anything as long as it wasnt offensive or extremely suggestive (curse words, violent pictures, nudity on clothing, butt hanging out of your shorts or skirt, boobs falling out of your top, etc). Of course, the school i went to was in a pretty small town and we didnt have security guards, metal detectors, drug busts, shootings, etc. We could pretty much wear whatever we wanted compared to todays students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty