Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:03 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,732,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Yes, I am judgmental. I have standards that include dressing very casually in church or in business offices is inappropriate. You're free not to adhere to my standards. I'm free to make the assumption that your desire to be comfortable over showing respect to customers, co-workers, and co-worshipers is rude.
You did not specify church or the office. You said "out and about constantly in shorts in public places that are not associated with recreation," which makes it sound like you're basically talking about anywhere in public. As if you judge people for wearing shorts to the grocery store, movie theater, and post office.

By the way, do you think Jesus would disapprove of someone wearing basketball shorts at church? What about a homeless person with ratty clothes and disheveled hair? Would he think they're not serious adults? At your church do they ever talk about what the Bible says about being judgmental? Or is it more like a social club?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
I grew up in the Sixties, when both uniforms for Phys Ed and competitive shorts for track, tennis, and basketball were much more brief -- no more than perhaps three inches below the groin. The mens' swimwear of the day, even excluding the "Speedo" type which became popular after the '64 Olympics, went to about the same length. To defend our sense of modesty, the majority of males over 12 and under 40 usually packed an athletic supporter.

None of this became a point of contention until some time in the seventies when the stretchier Lycra replaced the less-clingy polyesters of an earlier time, and as I recall, it was the ladies who drew more attention at first. Most of the Baby Boomers were still young and curvy, and we loved it.

It was in the early Eighties that "casual" mens' swimwear expanded into the "jammer" style, but the Speedo remained very popular among serious competitive and/or fitness swimmers until the tension betwen gays and the socially-conservative right made an issue of it. Basketball uniforms eventually went the same route.

I'm into my early 60's now -- still enjoy swimming a few laps when the opportunity presents itself, still have a full head of hair and a weight not far from my college days. I wear the "new" Speedo which goes a few inches further down the thigh and doesn't have any conspicuous bulge in front.

"Suits" me, but I never wear shorts of any type on the street.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-12-2013 at 11:08 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 11:42 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times
Shorter shorts are a slippery slope. Men can pull them off quite well if they are very fashionable and have the right look. It's a fine line though between looking stylish and fem.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,990,374 times
Hee, I too have had the experience of talking to an old guy wearing shorts shorter than his b*lls.

Don't wear boxers with your short shorts. Briefs might help.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,738 times
I'm not going to let one idiot stop me. I'm going to keep wearing real shorts.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I'm a woman, and personally I'm tired of men wearing huge shapeless clothing and shorts that hang below the knees. I don't think we should go back to tight jeans and short shorts of the 80's, but something in the middle would be great. Shorts 2-4" above the knee look fine on men, especially men with nice muscular legs. Those big gym shorts that hang below the knee look like skirts. Long cargo shorts that hang almost to mid calf look like capri pants. They really shouldn't be considered shorts. And they make stockier men look fat.
Um....You're a bit too late on the tight jeans thing. Tight jeans are very much back in fashion for men and boys, and actually they're tighter now than they were in the 80s, except that they're better designed in softer material so as not to cause distress to the male reproductive organs. In the past year or two, tighter fitting shorts are becoming stylish too--knee length skinny denims for guys.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Shorter shorts are a slippery slope. Men can pull them off quite well if they are very fashionable and have the right look. It's a fine line though between looking stylish and fem.
To quote "Mike" Bolton of "Office Space", "No offense but...speak for yourself there sport."
I live in South Africa, and rugby shorts are perfectly acceptable for men and boys here, even the norm in certain communities. It's less common in larger, fast-paced cities like Johannesburg and Durban--Durban, of course, is dominated by a conservative Indian culture, and Johannesburg--well the men there tend to be over-worked, over-stressed, and hen-pecked anyway.

On the other hand, go out into the smaller towns and rural areas, short rugby shorts on guys everywhere, 'specially the Afrikaner/Boer communities, and let me tell you, those guys are BIG--the biggest Ukrainians and Russians look like weenies next to them. Think of people as tall as the Dutch but with double the brawn and winning every rugby match. So no one here thinks of a guy in short, thigh-baring shorts as fem....
Here and there you'll get a black or a coloured guy wearing them; they tend to prefer white rugby shorts, which contrast very tastefully with their fine, darker complexions.

I'm not from any of the above communities, but I happen to be tall, big-boned (very big-boned actually), muscular, massive shoulders, immense triceps and calves (and no, I never took any steroids, though thanks for asking; I'm flattered.), square-jawed, the works....40 years old, but most people think I'm 23-27...honest.
And quite frankly I'm sick and tired of men getting the short end of the stick in our choices of what to wear. If a girl can bare her shoulders and arms, so can I. If a girl can bare her thighs, so can I. Women deserve equality, I agree, but so do men. One concession I'm willing to make--no men in Speedos in exchange for women keeping the breasts covered.

One last thing. Never saw a gay guy in short shorts...not once. In my experience, gays prefer the high-society look--name-brand clothes and the like--they tend to minimize casual wear (and if that's what makes them happy, then more power to them for it.). Short shorts are more associated with the rugged farm boy, while most gay men prefer the urban look.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:10 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
This one has been beaten to death. Yes, it's a fairly recent thing (maybe last 20 years). I guess when short shorts became a 'female only' thing, so men who wore them were seen as feminine. It really is pretty stupid. It's like only acceptable to display shaved female thighs, even if they're fat and full of cellulite, yet straight women say a guy with nicely shaped legs showing leg is gross? How does that figure? Imagine if a man said they wanted to see men show off skin but not women, how gay would that sound.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
The overwhelming majority of shorts that I wear for everyday casual wear in the summer are tennis shorts like this.

I also wear tennis shorts for playing tennis and they also cross over extremely well for distance running which I also am obsessed with.
When I'm out with my wife and or friends I combine tennis shorts with form fitting polo shirts or a athletic cut t-shirt.

Trust me when I say I am extremely cool and comfortable in the "" correct places "" wearing these shorts.
I don't think anyone would give those shorts a second look...unless they had real issues.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 AM

Also how come super short denim shorts have been in fashion for women for so long now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty