Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:43 PM

784 posts, read 1,972,536 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to ask this for a while, but held back because I figured the answer would come in the other mens shorts threads. While the trend has been for men to wear long, baggy shorts to the knee and below, I have felt more comfortable in mid-thigh length or slightly longer shorts, but above the knee. I am NOT talking about upper thigh length. I have read several things online about men who choose to wear shorter shorts and the constant harassment they face for doing so, from people laughing to making comments to even taking pictures and posting them online. In most of the posts I have read the person claimed that it was a young female making fun of them. In my personal experience, I have overheard rude comments made from one person to another and have had people giggle. I would say that with 1 exception, the people were all female and usually late teens to about 30. I don't mean to bring race into it, but most have been Hispanic and Black females. Some of the posters on the sites that I read stated that also. The incident that took place today is what inspired me to ask this question. It was very warm today where I am, so I decided to wear mid-thigh shorts. I noticed in the parking lot of a business that a young woman was looking at me and when I was walking back into the store, I turned around and there she had her phone, turned sideways, up to eye level and taking a picture of me. I ask for respectful replies only, but unless I am mistaken, why is it that a lot of women have a real problem with men wearing regular shorts. Notice I didn't say all women because I know that it is certainly not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,088,235 times
You mean like this?

Old 11-10-2013, 06:15 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,330,280 times
The answer is: brainwashing.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:44 PM

The weird thing is that some of these women are old enough to remember when men really did wear short shorts and it was fashionable.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,088,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
The weird thing is that some of these women are old enough to remember when men really did wear short shorts and it was fashionable.
I'm that old LOL.
But honestly do not recall thinking the short-shorts thing on guys was EVER a good idea.

But that said - you are OK with wearing mid-thigh shorts.
I am OK with you wearing mid-thigh shorts.
Pretty much, nobody on the entire planet really cares what length of shorts you wear.

So why are you fretting about this nonsense? Nobody cares, but you. Nobody on city-data can possibly have an informed opinion about you and the length of your freaking shorts. Nobody's opinion matters, but yours. So what are you really asking? Are you looking for permission to wear above-the-thigh shorts, or what?

Old 11-10-2013, 08:07 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,955,091 times
I will never understand why young women think this:

looks better than this:

I will never understand it. How anyone can think the shorts in the first picture are flattering is unbelievable. They are the ones that are laughable, IMO.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,137,118 times
Because short shorts are tight as heck and would squeeze a mans "sweet spot".

I would never consider wearing one. Looser fitting shorts dangling below the knees are much more comfortable. Women like to see a guy relaxed and cool, not suffer squeezed into 2 sets of "underpants" .

Spoiler
I don't think women look nice either when they wear super tight and crazy short shorts when its hot and humid. What a horrific feeling it mush be under those shorts trapping all the sweat . Don't know why they do it. There are more comfortable ways to show off skin. Maybe women don't sweat as much in the summer.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm that old LOL.
But honestly do not recall thinking the short-shorts thing on guys was EVER a good idea.

But that said - you are OK with wearing mid-thigh shorts.
I am OK with you wearing mid-thigh shorts.
Pretty much, nobody on the entire planet really cares what length of shorts you wear.

So why are you fretting about this nonsense? Nobody cares, but you. Nobody on city-data can possibly have an informed opinion about you and the length of your freaking shorts. Nobody's opinion matters, but yours. So what are you really asking? Are you looking for permission to wear above-the-thigh shorts, or what?
I am asking just what the title of the thread says. That is the question. The information in Post #1 is just background information about why I asked the question. I am not looking for permission, just clarification on why a large percentage of a group of people react the way they do on this issue. If you don't care what others wear, then you have answered the question. I wish more felt the same way.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 PM

809 posts, read 1,268,109 times
The shorts I have are all fitted and end right over the knee. And no, I've never been harassed. In fact, I've only been known to be dapper in them.

I have a huge arsenal of shorts I wear with rugby polos and pumps. Shorts look ridiculous if they are loose and go over the knees. They are for grandfathers.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
The shorts I have are all fitted and end right over the knee. And no, I've never been harassed. In fact, I've only been known to be dapper in them.

I have a huge arsenal of shorts I wear with rugby polos and pumps. Shorts look ridiculous if they are loose and go over the knees. They are for grandfathers.
I guess what bothers me the most is that someone took my picture without my permission to make fun of what I was wearing and that picture will more than likely be shared on some form of social media. I know it's a longshot, but I will periodically check search engines to see if that picture ends up there. If I do find it, I will trace it to the website. If it was on someone's social media account, I will be able to find out who posted it. I will then sue that woman for whatever I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty