U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM

811 posts, read 980,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
While I definitely think that's true to a certain extent, and that women should be FAR more supportive with each other, the WORST comments I've ever received about my body have been from straight men. I mean, I ended up crying in the corner of a workplace because a few of the guys decided to tell me exactly what they thought was ugly about me. When I started crying you know what they said? "yeah, cry it up fatty".

I've NEVER had a woman be as mean and as horrible as the men I was around. Ever.

As for the reasoning behind it, women are judged primarily on appearance. This goes for everything from romantic relationships to getting hired or getting a promotion at work. I was once told I lost out on a promotion because 'the other girl would be easier to look at 40 hours a week'. So, I think one of the biggest reasons women are so mean to one another is we know when push comes to shove, being prettier than the woman next to us will always be an advantage.
I can't imagine a man calling a woman fatty publicly in the workplace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:53 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
There will be some smaller chested women along any minute to tell you busty women are not curvy and not attractive and that Kate Upton is hideous because of some math equation they dreamed up.
Not all busty women are curvy. Some people have straighter figures with boobs (ahem Kate Upton). Other women have curvy figures and big boobs (ahem Kim Kardashian)

Curvy/Not curvy isn't the only predictor of attractiveness. Kate Upton is attractive, but not curvy in my book. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:55 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyrue21 View Post
I don't include Christina Hendricks as curvy. I always thought it had to do with being a healthy weight and a good whr.
Oh so pear shaped women wouldn't be curvy. I didn't know it had to do with breasts size as well.

So you wouldn't consider Jlo curvy?
How can you be curvy if you're flat-chested, its one half of the curve..
Curvy = compliment. Pear-shaped - not a compliment.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:00 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Well, it happened to me. I've also witnessed it happening when I was in retail to other women.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Sometimes they just get "moo"ed or "oink"ed at.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:15 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe if you work with a bunch of high schoolers... in a professional work setting, that would not only be unacceptable but a fire-able offense (in most cases). Sheesh, I'm sorry you had to deal with that JetJockey!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh, I've definitely been moo'd, oink'd and barked at on several occasions. A few times while in school, but I did hear it a few times as well when I would leave a room at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe if you work with a bunch of high schoolers... in a professional work setting, that would not only be unacceptable but a fire-able offense (in most cases). Sheesh, I'm sorry you had to deal with that JetJockey!
It's one of the reasons I stopped working as a mechanic and went into the 'business side' of my industry... I got sick of the unprofessionalism and harassment. I did complain a few times, but was told 'boys will be boys' and that I should just 'suck it up, because that's what happens in a shop environment'. Interestingly, I've talked to several other women with similar experiences.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh, I've definitely been moo'd, oink'd and barked at on several occasions. A few times while in school, but I did hear it a few times as well when I would leave a room at work.

It's one of the reasons I stopped working as a mechanic and went into the 'business side' of my industry... I got sick of the unprofessionalism and harassment. I did complain a few times, but was told 'boys will be boys' and that I should just 'suck it up, because that's what happens in a shop environment'. Interestingly, I've talked to several other women with similar experiences.
That's really horrible... and one of the reasons I love working in a female-dominant profession.

(not to say all women are sweet to each other, but I've never heard any of them "moo" at another worker!)

Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,205,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't "curvy" also about boobs? There are plenty of women around with a dramatic waist/hip ratio, but not much, if anything, on top.
Yes. Bigger boobs emphasise the curvy look.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not all busty women are curvy. Some people have straighter figures with boobs (ahem Kate Upton). Other women have curvy figures and big boobs (ahem Kim Kardashian)

Curvy/Not curvy isn't the only predictor of attractiveness. Kate Upton is attractive, but not curvy in my book. These things aren't mutually exclusive.
Uh huh. K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty