U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 11:47 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
The few responses that said they would not pick number 3 because she may gain weight after kids or in 30 years. I wonder do you pick someone to date based on that too? So if you see a lady in everyday life you ask yourself if she has any wiggle room for weight gain? Sounds a little shallow. Do you think women wonder that about a male or if they will go bald in the future?
Or gain weight? As most men do.

There also seems to be this idea that people who gain a few pounds become instantly immobile and inactive. *rollseyes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 AM

91 posts, read 179,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Are you Hispanic?

The reason I'm asking is because they emphasize the small waist and big hips,that's what they consider to be a nice shape.
I'm going by what I see in their beauty contests.
I'm not Latina. My mom's got Portuguese and Sioux ancestry. My dad is welsh.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:54 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
EXACTLY!! Why would I keep myself in Excellent shape and then marry someone that lets herself go?

It's not just the physical appearance. What kind of marriage would you have if you love doing outdoor physical activity, but she can't answer the door without being out of breath?
You could just as easily 'let yourself go' as that woman could. In fact, she could decide to start working out and be in better shape in 5 years.

And yes, it's mostly physical appearance. I don't look 'fit' and even look a little chubby but I can run farther and faster than my boyfriend who does look 'fit'. My endurance is much better and I can easily make it to the top of a trail while he's panting behind me.

And how can you tell by looking at '#3' that she can't run a mile? Or can't answer the door without being out of breath? I'm in a running club and there are many fat people who are easily running half marathons but I guess because they don't look fit they must me lazy and out of shape.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,173,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
The few responses that said they would not pick number 3 because she may gain weight after kids or in 30 years. I wonder do you pick someone to date based on that too? So if you see a lady in everyday life you ask yourself if she has any wiggle room for weight gain? Sounds a little shallow. Do you think women wonder that about a male or if they will go bald in the future?
Just on physical looks I pick 2 because she has a healthier body IMHO. It's more attractive. Nothing wrong with 3, but she's too meaty for me.

I think some guys worry about their partner gaining weight, as well as women do about their men tho not to the extent that us guys do. We've always been more visual whereas women tend to focus on other attributes of men.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,173,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I know I've mentioned this before on this forum, but the parallels between livestock judging and many men's comments on this forum are amazing.

"Oh, I can't marry her because there's potential that she might gain some weight in the future. Can't have that, now can we!"
I don't find it amazing at all. Men are definitely more visually focused and most of us admit that. We don't care near as much on the other areas that women do.

If she's young and meaty now, the odds after she gets older and has a few kids to become overweight/fat are a lot greater than if she took care of herself at a younger age.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Regarding the 3 ladies in the photo people are commenting on,but how exactly do we know if #3 is curvy? She is turned to the side...I can't see her waist not thighs.
For all we know,#2 may be more curvier,because she is the only one we can see from the front.

I'm starting to think that men think a woman is curvy just because she is bigger,even when the skinny one may be curvier.

So men can't really say fat women are calling themselves curvy;it appears men are doing it.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 PM

568 posts, read 539,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Regarding the 3 ladies in the photo people are commenting on,but how exactly do we know if #3 is curvy? She is turned to the side...I can't see her waist not thighs.
For all we know,#2 may be more curvier,because she is the only one we can see from the front.

I'm starting to think that men think a woman is curvy just because she is bigger,even when the skinny one may be curvier.

So men can't really say fat women are calling themselves curvy;it appears men are doing it.
This is true, but it's not just men. Some men and women will think someone is curvy just because they're bigger.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:14 PM

132 posts, read 238,312 times
Default Curvy is curvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyrue21 View Post
I'm just curious. I was reading a thread where some people said Christina Hendrick's body was shaped womanly or like a normal woman? I always thought womanly figures would be something like my own figure. For 1, Christina Hendricks hips aren't even all that prominent. I thought people like Shakira Alicia Keys Beyonce Jennifer Lopez lady gaga or even Kim Kardashian would be more of an example of what a womanly or curvy figure is. I was always told I had a womanly figure and I'm 116 lbs and 5'0". I sometimes got called chubby because I don't have a body like the above example like I used to in high school. I have lovehandles but my hips are as wide as kim kardashian's (32B-27-39). I don't get is womanly a different term than curvy? Is womanly another way to say chubby? Opinions?
Curvy is an hour glass shape with typically slightly above average lady lumps or T&A. Coke bottle shaped girls typically have ample breasts and hips that measure near the same in inches, and a waist that is 9 - 10 inches smaller than the breasts and hips. Curvy is not overweight. Jennifer Lopez, though a typically pear with smaller breasts counts as curvy, Kim K, all the chicks you mentioned. Classic curvy women include 50s sex symbols like Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren, and Rachel Welch. As for normal, all women are normal and real even the boyish ones. We come in all shapes and sizes, but curvy is curvy. I'm a curvy lady too, an hourglass.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Curvy is curvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
This is true, but it's not just men. Some men and women will think someone is curvy just because they're bigger.
That's because curvy has become a euphemism for fat, overweight and obese women. I'm all for not raining venom down on overweight people. I think it's mean, but its just disingenuous to say they're curvy when they're just overweight. Just like I personally don't find boyish shaped women with no assets to be bombshells, I don't think fat women are curvy. I think we can call it what it is without being offensive.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
"Curvy" is best exemplified by choice #3.

And if you don't choose option 3, you are obviously a homosexual.

I would tear that up.
The bony one on the left looks nasty, those legs just look gross. The one in the middle looks the best, a nice curvaceous girl. The overweight girl is also curvy, and I could see guys going for her, but she could probably lose a few pounds to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty